Silencing the noisy Hi-Lift Jack (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HiLift Jacks are like over-talkative friends. Always there and helpful when you need them, but never quiet when you don't.

QuietHiLift1.jpg

There are a variety of means and aftermarket devices for attaching your HiLift to your 'Cruiser. However, as secure as your HiLift will be attached to your truck, the HiLifts are still one of the most annoying and rattle-infested pieces of gear you can carry.

There are four distinct areas of the HiLift that stir up this clankity-clunk orchestra, and a fifth area that will howl with an incessant whistle . . . . second only to a San Francisco Bay fog horn.

The metal-to-metal areas need to be silenced first. And, it's easily done with a roll of electrical tape, an old credit card and a handy device called a HiLift Jack Handle Isolator (made by Daystar).

Area 1 - the jack handle.

Remove the cotter pin, slide out the handle, and then wrap about two layers of electrical tape approximately 2 inches from the end.

QuietHiLift2.jpg

Slide the handle back into the HiLift and re-insert the cotter pin.

QuietHiLift3.jpg

Area 2 - the HiLift jack base.

Remove the cotter pin, slide the base off of the jacking shaft, and wrap two layers of electrical tape about an inch and a half from the bottom.

QuietHiLift4.jpg

Pinch the tape down to conform to the H-shaped contour of the base, slide the base back onto the HiLift and replace the cotter pin.

Area 3 - the ratchet assembly.

From the bottom end of the ratchet assembly, slide an old credit card between it and the jacking shaft. (The credit card will slide in about 1 1/4".)

QuietHiLift5.jpg

Cut off any remaining exposed section of the credit card.

QuietHiLift6.jpg

Upon needing the HiLift jack, this credit card "shim" will fall out instantly the first time the HiLift is ratcheted upward.

QuietHiLift7.jpg

Area 4 - the bouncing jack handle.

The Daystar "Isolator" can be purchased for about $11 from most off-road supply companies. Daystar Products - Expedition Exchange Incorporated

QuietHiLift8.jpg

Slide the Isolator onto the HiLift jack handle to prevent metal-to-metal contact between the handle and the jack. Of course, the Isolator will have to be removed or slid out of the way prior to using the HiLift.

QuietHiLift9.jpg

Area 5 - the jack handle "wind tunnel."

If your HiLift is mounted on the outside of your FJ facing forward, and you can't seem to track down the source of that shrieking whistling sound, look no further than the open handle of your HiLift jack.

HiLiftMount2-1.jpg

A black 1 1/4" rubber chair leg tip (available form Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) can be slipped onto the open end of the HiLift handle to completely silence that obnoxious whistling.

QuietHiLift10.jpg

Prior to sliding the rubber tip onto the jack handle, smear a little bit of liquid hand soap into the tip. This will allow the tip to be easily slid off when you need to remove your Isolator for use. And, it's not a bad idea to put the rubber tip back on the handle during HiLift usage . . . . for a little more cushioning in the event that the handle decides to introduce itself to one of your more precious body parts.

QuietHiLift11.jpg

Your HiLift Jack will now be free of virtually every relentless rattle, clunking sound, creak, squeak and whistle that has been plaguing you all these years. You can now "go in peace."

FYI: My 60" high lift stays secure, quiet and easy to access (had to do that twice yesterday on our Strawberry Canyon run!) on the well designed mount Christo (Slee) included on my 100 bumper. Obviously not a solution without his bumper...but maybe incentive to get one of his rear bumpers ;).

Hmm, mine is on the floor behind the front seats bungeed to seat frames. Lives in the vinyl protector bag, don't hear a sound from it.

Of course, rarely does anybody ride in rear seat.

Great write up though!

Dam you spent more time and money on do dads than the high lift cost new!

My does not make any noise and I just use a Ty Rap to keep the handle tight...and my employer donated the Ty Rap to the cause.

JB

If I can hear my High lift rattle it's because my rig will not start and I'm being pulled on a really long tow strap behind a really quite vehicle.

Thanks for the tips though.

You thought this out very well and documented it very nicely.

If I can hear my High lift rattle it's because my rig will not start and I'm being pulled on a really long tow strap behind a really quite vehicle.

Thanks for the tips though.

You thought this out very well and documented it very nicely.

I was having similar thoughts. I wish the Hi Lift was the most annoying noise on my truck. :lol:

HiLifts make noise? I guess I'll have to swap the boggers off for some street tires to check this out.

Until then I'll just make do with the bungie cord around the handle. And the layer of peat and clay that always seems to collect on it within a few miles after we leave the road. ;)

Mark...

Nice write-up. Now I need to get the hi-lift mount for my roof rack so I can implement these ideas.

I've found it pretty nice and quiet with my HiLift on my ARB rack by attaching it on the inside of the rack with those heavy duty rubber bungie type tie downs. 3 spaced from the bottom to near the top keep it tight and unable to rattle anywhere.

Nice write up.

I took a different approach.

I removed it unless I'm wheelin.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for finding all the rattles. My hi-lift is mounted on the inside to the back of my roll bar and acts as a rack for my shovel, ax and shotgun. I was about to move it outside because of the rattling. But this may solve my issue for almost $0. Thanks.

Last edited:
thats news to me i never knew they rattled

I keep mine in the bed (since I have one!). The Hi-Lift Loc-Rac mounting system combined with the handle isolator does a good job of fixing the Hi-Lift tightly so it does not rattle at all. Those 4X-Rac mounts do nothing to put any tension on the assembly (since they only bolt through the beam) so I can see how they rattle mounted to one of those.

It worked like a charm. I also have a handle isolator that I cut in half and stick between the base of the handle. It keeps the whole handle assembly from rattling. But this also gave me a good opportunity to clean and lube my jack.... if you know what I mean. ;)

Last edited:
Tried all the other methods(including the Step 22 isolator and bag) but ended up throwing a squeeze-clamp on it to completely kill the rattles.
20191206_100609.jpg

20191206_100618.jpg

HiLift Jacks are like over-talkative friends. Always there and helpful when you need them, but never quiet when you don't.

QuietHiLift1.jpg

There are a variety of means and aftermarket devices for attaching your HiLift to your 'Cruiser. However, as secure as your HiLift will be attached to your truck, the HiLifts are still one of the most annoying and rattle-infested pieces of gear you can carry.

There are four distinct areas of the HiLift that stir up this clankity-clunk orchestra, and a fifth area that will howl with an incessant whistle . . . . second only to a San Francisco Bay fog horn.

The metal-to-metal areas need to be silenced first. And, it's easily done with a roll of electrical tape, an old credit card and a handy device called a HiLift Jack Handle Isolator (made by Daystar).

Area 1 - the jack handle.

Remove the cotter pin, slide out the handle, and then wrap about two layers of electrical tape approximately 2 inches from the end.

QuietHiLift2.jpg

Slide the handle back into the HiLift and re-insert the cotter pin.

QuietHiLift3.jpg

Area 2 - the HiLift jack base.

Remove the cotter pin, slide the base off of the jacking shaft, and wrap two layers of electrical tape about an inch and a half from the bottom.

QuietHiLift4.jpg

Pinch the tape down to conform to the H-shaped contour of the base, slide the base back onto the HiLift and replace the cotter pin.

Area 3 - the ratchet assembly.

From the bottom end of the ratchet assembly, slide an old credit card between it and the jacking shaft. (The credit card will slide in about 1 1/4".)

QuietHiLift5.jpg

Cut off any remaining exposed section of the credit card.

QuietHiLift6.jpg

Upon needing the HiLift jack, this credit card "shim" will fall out instantly the first time the HiLift is ratcheted upward.

QuietHiLift7.jpg

Area 4 - the bouncing jack handle.

The Daystar "Isolator" can be purchased for about $11 from most off-road supply companies. Daystar Products - Expedition Exchange Incorporated

QuietHiLift8.jpg

Slide the Isolator onto the HiLift jack handle to prevent metal-to-metal contact between the handle and the jack. Of course, the Isolator will have to be removed or slid out of the way prior to using the HiLift.

QuietHiLift9.jpg

Area 5 - the jack handle "wind tunnel."

If your HiLift is mounted on the outside of your FJ facing forward, and you can't seem to track down the source of that shrieking whistling sound, look no further than the open handle of your HiLift jack.

HiLiftMount2-1.jpg

A black 1 1/4" rubber chair leg tip (available form Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) can be slipped onto the open end of the HiLift handle to completely silence that obnoxious whistling.

QuietHiLift10.jpg

Prior to sliding the rubber tip onto the jack handle, smear a little bit of liquid hand soap into the tip. This will allow the tip to be easily slid off when you need to remove your Isolator for use. And, it's not a bad idea to put the rubber tip back on the handle during HiLift usage . . . . for a little more cushioning in the event that the handle decides to introduce itself to one of your more precious body parts.

QuietHiLift11.jpg

Your HiLift Jack will now be free of virtually every relentless rattle, clunking sound, creak, squeak and whistle that has been plaguing you all these years. You can now "go in peace."
Really late to the thread here but this worked great. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom