Side Mirror Casing Spinning Free (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1378.JPG
My entire driver side mirror is suddenly spinning. Not sure if there is a spring in there that keeps it in place but wondering if anyone has had The same issue and had to fix it.

You need a new mirror, and be sitting down when you order. Someone likely yanked it backwards and broke the plastic stop inside. Someone did that to me once.

And, if you order a mirror, also order that black triangular trim piece in the corner. Trust me, you're going to break it to get to the mirror bolts.

By new mirror you mean the entire mirror including the housing that is that is the same color as the body paint?

If so, I'll never get it to match. May just put a bead of epoxy puddy in the swivel joint and call it a day.

I was able to find mirrors in the part out section, current market value is about $100/ea. shipped. One was paint matched fortunately and they are now members of my used parts collection.

Until I get around to fixing my "floppy" mirror by R&R or what @ToolsRUs posted, I took a wood shim to hold it in place and then wrapped the mirror arm with clear silicone tape. Stays in place and the shim will be the sacrificial part vice the mirror housing should it get bumped in a parking lot. Not the best of temp repairs, but it has survived thus far and no one knew until I posted it here. ;)

I parked my cruiser on the street in front of my house for about an hour and a half and some punk kid must have walked by and smacked it. Broke mine just like OP. I got 2 zip ties and its been like that for 6 months now. One day I might even cut the tails off of them. My thinking was that a zip tie would be better than epoxy so that if the mirror needs to flex from like a tree or something else it might pop the zip tie off, I'm not sure, but it took 4 seconds and made me able to change lanes again.

Inside the housing is a plastic mast the housing attaches on. There is a compressed spring and 2 plastic tabs holding it in place. Over time those tabs weaken, and eventually break. When it happens it is sudden and seems like its been hit.

Search on the forum, its semi common and there are a couple of ways to fix it.

Thanks all. All fixed for $4. Used the 1/4 inch bolt through the spring fix. Tightened her down and it is better than the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom