Show me your rack, roof rack, home built... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We need a thread dedicated to this. I found some info on the 'today' thread but would like to see one thread resource for those who build or modify their own rack.

img_20180821_165205-jpg.1772270

Here are some of the posts from other threads I found to compile into this one.

Parts list posts:
Tacoma World Thread on this topic with a how-to and some parts lists for M6 eye bolts.

Here are the basics to the 8020 / Tnutz extruded aluminum factory rack mod.
1. Use "10" series extrusions the "15" series won't clear the center of the roof.
2. Part number 4509-Black (x20) 15 series to 10 series corner bracket. One side is sized for the stock 15 series sized roof rack Extrusion, The other side is sized for 10 series crossbars. If you are using Tnutz, they don't sell this part so use (CB-010-B-BLACK) 10 Series 2 Hole Inside Corner Bracket – Black Anodized | TNUTZ | TNUTZ and just drill out one end.
3. Cross Bars: P/N 1020-S (x5)You can pick 1"x1" 1"x2" or 1"x3" -- I like 1"x3" it allows for 3 open channels on the top.
Length... Measure your side rails! Seems everyone has a different width. It's a hair under 40" some go 39.75. I came up with 39.813.
Counterbore... The $4 to have this done is worth it in my opinion it allows you to drop in any 1/4" bolt and use it to mount to without the drop in nuts typically used on these systems that do cost more.​
4. P/N 3386 (x20) Bolt for 15 Series side of bracket
5. P/N 3319 (x20) Bolt for 10 series part of bracket to secure crossbars.

Couple things it would be nice to hear feedback on...
Does the counterbore lower the load capacity on the bars?
Do the 4 bolt corner braces fix (replacing step 2 corners) this? (CB-010-K-BLACK) 10 Series 4 Hole Inside Corner Gusset – Black Anodized | TNUTZ | TNUTZ
Whats everyone using to mount awnings?
Has anyone using these products "extended the rack" front or back to be able to mount a light bar or a rear facing awning?
Has anyone found a way to mount Maxtraxx to the side of the rails so that they don't take flat space up top?

Last edited:
i been following these build. looks amazing and most of the aftermarket rack uses the same bar. can you explain more on the centerbore? is there an example photo?

I do wish that there were lower profile extrusions that fit m8 hardware, so you can mount frontrunner's collection of excellent accessories.
The extrusions that does fit m8 are typically too thick and won't look nice on the factory rack.
Yes that is certainly an issue with this... The 100/200 guys have enough clearance but we can only run the 10 series (1") bars.

will the 5 crossbar sag in the middle? I am planning to get something flat to lay on top, like metal fence material, and sit on top of my car for better viewing.

Supposed to have 1/4" clearance, most say there is not enough deflection when standing on two at the same time. I am about to order all my parts to find out...

Here is mine with receivers for movable awning. Before I built the rear bumper.

B6110683-FFE0-4C03-B380-74E7A175A224.jpeg

53F093CA-A140-4E27-A4AE-F1D22DC7F166.jpeg

8D2305EA-9908-427C-8A6C-8414845C4627.jpeg

205D6CF9-A3B3-40BC-B4FB-71C6CE02CABB.jpeg

Last edited:
This home made roof rack are really cool. I am really tired looking at prinsu style roof rack. Nothing wrong with it except a ton of companies making something that look essentially the same.

One of this days I will make a DIY too just to be different. Make my own for 100 series back in 2005 and probably inspired Prinsu's original design 😉
123 007sm.JPG

Here is mine with receivers for movable awning. Before I built the rear bumper.

View attachment 2296979
Did you fab the feet or did buy them? I have really debated buying the Sherpa Off-road sells them and it would enable making an entire new rack. Issue I ran into was that then I was only about $200 off of buying their built rack when I added up the parts.
Unless you can weld of course...

Did you fab the feet or did buy them? I have really debated buying the Sherpa Off-road sells them and it would enable making an entire new rack. Issue I ran into was that then I was only about $200 off of buying their built rack when I added up the parts.
Unless you can weld of course...

The mounts are Gamiviti. I thought about fabbing my own, but for the price I really couldn’t pass them up and they have a nice adjustment system. Cutting clean slotted holes is a challenge. Having a welder sure helps, I saved quite a bit by building it myself, plus I really enjoy building stuff. Started welding many years ago, started with gasless and upgraded twice to where I am now with a 220v mig.

FWIW, inserting extruded Al in stock siderails wont give you a flat deck. The roof, and siderails are slightly arced front to rear.

There are slots in the side rials which fit unistrut nuts. In my build thread, I moumted an awning to the stock siderails this way, you could do similar for traction boards w/o taking up horizontal rooftop space.

STAY AWAY FROM TNUTZ!!!! Man, placed 4 orders now from Tnutz, the prices are good, but not worth the headache - not if but when - they screw up your order. They've shipped the wrong items, refused to refund or send out the correct ones until they've had theirs sent back. "Go get a printer and print the damn label and send it back to us, not that hard is it?" -Tnutz customer service, loooool. Fuccc that entire business.

I just finished building my custom rack, I used 80/20 from tnutz for cross bars and 1/4”x2" aluminum bar for the sides. I still have some finishing touches to take care of, like painting it but when it's not pouring rain. I saved about $700 and it all went straight into the light bar and LED pod fund 😁

PXL_20201219_180331405.MP.jpg

PXL_20201219_180525660.MP.jpg

I just finished building my custom rack, I used 80/20 from tnutz for cross bars and 1/4”x2" aluminum bar for the sides. I still have some finishing touches to take care of, like painting it but when it's not pouring rain. I saved about $700 and it all went straight into the light bar and LED pod fund 😁

View attachment 2552423
View attachment 2552424
There's another pair of mounting points you could fix the rails to. Nice solution with the Al flat.stock side rails.🤙

There's another pair of mounting points you could fix the rails to. Nice solution with the Al flat.stock side rails.🤙
Thanks! I do have the materials to make an extra set of brackets for the middle mounting points and the only excuse I have for not doing it yet is from getting tired of staying late after work to use the equipment, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom