Show me your CB setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I received a Uniden 980 CB for my birthday and I'm trying to figure out the best place to install it. I've seen some inside the console, some off the side of the shifter console, and others mounted in the dash. I'd like to see what everyone else is doing and get some ideas. I picked up a wireless MIC for it as well so I don't need to worry about that cable in the way.

Many people are moving away from CB to HAM and GMRS, so the searching for CB install threads might be where you find pics. Here’s one thread with a few install pictures.

Mounted mine on the back of the center console. Wanted it out of the way most of the time, but still accessible by just reaching back there.

Even with a full size CB and external speaker...I can still fold my second row seats forward without them hitting.

CB Mount_5.jpg
CB mounted.jpg
CB Mount_6.jpg
CB Mount_7.jpg

^^^^ This

Given the CB you have, I think I would go this route.

That's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! How did you attach it? Screws or velcro/double-sided tape?

If you look at Flintknappers first picture, mine is where his cup holder is on the side of the console. I also have the smaller Uniden.

Mine is also where flintknapper's is, and I have the little Uniden as well.
Don't think I've turned it on in the last 2 or 3 years though as everyone I wheel with has gone to ham radio.

Mine is also where flintknapper's is, and I have the little Uniden as well.
Don't think I've turned it on in the last 2 or 3 years though as everyone I wheel with has gone to ham radio.
Gotcha. I'm relatively new to the radios so I'm curious as to why the change to HAM/GMRS vs CB?

Gotcha. I'm relatively new to the radios so I'm curious as to why the change to HAM/GMRS vs CB?
CB are relatively limited in distance and channels. HAM is much more powerful and can be set up as a repeater BUT requires a license to legally use (simple test). I ran both. Our club all switched to HAM and much better reception, clarity and distance, however many other that would join us on trail rides only had CB and we still needed to comm with them. HAM will also give you a better chance of reaching out to hit a repeater if you solo and need help (if there is one nearby). With my HAM setup I can hit a repeater 65miles away and have chatted with friends several hundred miles away over Oregon's repeater network.

Nothing wrong with CB and still pretty common communiction, it just is more limited.

GMRS is another option (becoming more popular with time). It DOES require a license (no test) but the license is good for 10 years (about $70.00) and your entire immediate family can piggy-back off the one license.

CB radio is limited to 4 watts output (sideband up to 12watts), GMRS can be up to 50 watts (mobile) and some are 'repeater capable).

HAM is 'top dog' no question about it....but you'll want to have a 'need' for that IMO before going that direction.

CB is still a viable communication method provided you are close to those you want to communicate with.

First, let me preface this with I'm old and been wheeling cruisers for a long time. I have always had a CB in my rig. Yes, some people now no longer have them, but they are still widely used by offroaders and truckers. They work very well for talking with the people in your group and truckers on the highway, but typically have little range. For me, I like a dash mount. I got a Uniden with the front firing speaker just to make things even easier.

I also have a ham in my remote camping rig. Remember, it isn't only watts that matter. Your antenna, the radio wavelength, atmospheric conditions, and lots of other things contribute to how far you can get out.
CB.jpg

First, let me preface this with I'm old and been wheeling cruisers for a long time. I have always had a CB in my rig. Yes, some people now no longer have them, but they are still widely used by offroaders and truckers. They work very well for talking with the people in your group and truckers on the highway, but typically have little range. For me, I like a dash mount. I got a Uniden with the front firing speaker just to make things even easier.

I also have a ham in my remote camping rig. Remember, it isn't only watts that matter. Your antenna, the radio wavelength, atmospheric conditions, and lots of other things contribute to how far you can get out.
View attachment 2354640
The Cobra front fire in the lower din is how I also ran my CB. The HAM I used the 8800 with detach face and mounted below the ashtray with head of it under the seat.

But following long with the original question, he already has the CB and just looking for locations.

Thanks for all of the responses so far. I really appreciate the guidance!

Some events, like Cruise Moab, still need CB radios as a vehicle requirement. It would be ideal to install the radio in a place where you can easily switch out units.

Some events, like Cruise Moab, still need CB radios as a vehicle requirement. It would be ideal to install the radio in a place where you can easily switch out units.
I disagree, as they all use different antenna and cabling. I prefer the NMO mount for HAM, and you don't want the antenna's on the same side of the truck. Better to run in parallel IMHO.

I have mine on the driver side of the console by the shifter, easy access and you can see what your doing if you have to change channels. also easy to draw power from the cig lighter so it will only turn on key on

20200628_180024.jpg
20200628_180034.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom