Should I get Lexus Extended Warranty and are the estimates reasonable. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am planning to get lexus certified vehicle 2019 LX 570 with 38k miles in few weeks. I know they are reliable vehicles but not bulletproof and I am planning to keep this vehicle for 10 to 15 years. Will add ~150k additional to it. Is extended warranty worth it given that I am planning to keep it for some time?

I am getting the following quotes from a lexus:
4360$ Till 2028
4960$ Till 2029
5650$ Till 2030

It says L|Certified till Feb/28 of 2025. I don’t see any mileage associated with it. Should clarify something? They said it’s unlimited mileage. I would appreciate some guidance.

F506E983-7E52-4DE3-98E0-10EDD99895BB.jpeg

I can’t remember which one I used, but there are a few contacts in the thread below. I was on the fence, but ultimately got the platinum 100k warranty.
Unless things are different since you’re getting a certified vehicle, there’s usually an associated mileage.
Any dealer can sell you a warranty, so you might try getting quotes from them anyway.

For me, the best question is who has received value from their warranty that exceeded the purchase price?

Warranties, like undercoating, fabric treatment, tire and key insurance, are a huge profit center for dealerships, and why the F&I people finalize the deals.

They sell you peace of mind using fear, uncertainty and doubt tactics, which I find unconscionable.

I've seen time and again where services are not covered under the plan and people feel like they've wasted their money on the warranties.

I have purchased a warranty three times over a lifetime, and never gotten value out of any of them.

The Toyota Platinum warranty I purchased on my 2013 land cruiser, CPO, was $1200 and allegedly at their cost. I got $0 of covered services.

If buying one gives you peace of mind, you should determine what that feeling is worth to you, because I suspect that is the only real value you will receive from it.

Here is the Lexus guide for their CPO vehicles. With regard to the cost/value of an extended warranty beyond the CPO, those prices are extremely high for what will be a small part of your ownership time. Put the money in the bank and use it to pay for anything that comes up after 2025. Or, get several quotes and negotiate like a crazy person. It’s not unheard of for a finance person with other brands to start out close to double the final cost, but I’ve no experience with Lexus. And make sure they are quoting the Lexus contracts, not aftermarket.

I would absolutely get the unlimited miles in writing. Most extended ( ALL) plans I have seen only extended the time it takes for you to use up your mileage limits. I do believe the the lexus certified preowned warrantee that comes with a Lexus being certified take the car to 100k miles. Salesmen are good at telling you just enough info to get you interested

I bought a 2013 LX570 w/ 120k miles at carmax about a year ago and got the 3 year warranty with them for 2k with 100$ deductible . Im at about 128,500 now and had a 4.7k job covered for a timing cover leak and oil pan leak. so for me i already made my money back , you never know when something will popup.

If u truly are committed to keeping the car for sometime it might work out in your favor, at the very least its a nice feature to add on resale if u ever decide to move on

I bought a 2013 LX with 62K miles from Car Max in 2019. I paid around $2400 for a 4 year or 150K warranty with a $100 deductible. I def. would have paid more for longer/more miles but that was the max. It has paid for itself with AC and parking sensors.

Last edited:
I bought a 2013 LX570 w/ 120k miles at carmax about a year ago and got the 3 year warranty with them for 2k with 100$ deductible . Im at about 128,500 now and had a 4.7k job covered for a timing cover leak and oil pan leak. so for me i already made my money back , you never know when something will popup.

If u truly are committed to keeping the car for sometime it might work out in your favor, at the very least its a nice feature to add on resale if u ever decide to move on

It really depends on ones mechanical abilities, the extent of risk one is willing to take, mileage driven and planned timing of ownership. Personally I can't see justifying $4.7 or even $2k to fix a timing cover or oil pan leaks.. but then again, I do all the work myself. Another thing to keep in mind, many of the warranties are non-transferrable.

I agree 100%. If you have the space to work, some tools, a little time and patients, your farther ahead. You'll have done the work knowing it has been done correctly. These wagons are built to be worked on.

We got the Platinum through Toyota on a certified used 2020 with 40,000 miles on it for $3k after we told them “no warranty crap”. Stupid? Maybe… I hate getting sucked into these warranties but at the time and price for the vehicle seemed right. It didn't help that I had just read a nightmare post on an aftermarket windshield replacement on a 200 that basically ruined the electronics. I guess it is all in what you feel at the time. It’s insurance… Living in CO, at least we will get a few windshields covered. I hope…

It really depends on ones mechanical abilities, the extent of risk one is willing to take, mileage driven and planned timing of ownership. Personally I can't see justifying $4.7 or even $2k to fix a timing cover or oil pan leaks.. but then again, I do all the work myself. Another thing to keep in mind, many of the warranties are non-transferrable.
i got the extended warranty because of the center stack that controls a bunch of important things. replacing that alone will cover the warranty.

My parking sensors went bad and fried the ECU. The parts alone were over 1K. The desiccant bags in the AC system self-destructed and shot shrapnel throughout the entire system, over 7K to fix. I doubt that is something most folk can do in their driveway. The parts alone on that one paid for my warranty.

I bought for the electronics like the infotainment system and parking sensors. It has more than paid for itself.

Currently lexus provides unlimited miles (see image attached). Given the LX 570 I am getting has 38k miles, I don’t foresee any mechanical issues happening with low mileage truck at least for another 60k miles. Now probability of mechanical or cooling failure will go up for high mileage truck > 100k miles. Now obviously it’s also a matter of luck as mentioned by other posters.

The electrical issues are probably more of an issue, DVD player, display panel, sensor, navigation, phone BLE syncing etc. LX has more electronic feature than LC given hence more failure points.

What I am trying to understand what are most recurring failures best would be to know how much they occur but that data point is something probably not available to public. I drive 4Runner currently and did not buy any warranty it has 96k on the clock no Mechanical issues but there are electrical issues such as door not responding remote lock.

Would be good from folks who drive 2016+ LX to chime in about some failures that have occurred with their vehicles and whether they think it is advantageous or not to get extended warranty.

3FAE8483-FD0B-45F4-BD12-18342C8F26B4.jpeg

@ltsr @slipkid13 kid13 What are the chances of the media controls going bad on say, 10-20k mile vehicle that is owned for 4 weeks and during this time gets driven once 6 miles round trip to Costco? Probably slim to none. Again, mileage driven and time of planned ownership play a major determining factor, among other..

Last edited:
I know a few mentioned CarMax already, but I wanted to pile onto that. I paid $1400 for a warranty that will essentially cover everything (with the exception of routine maintenance) for the next 5 years of driving. I put 7k or less a year on my vehicle though, so I was able to get their lower priced warranty up to 75k miles with a $100 deductible. It would have been a little more expensive to get me something that was going to take me out 5 years if I put more miles a year on it.

I am about to buy a 10-year (from original in-service date) 125,000 mile Lexus Extra-care Platinum (factory) Warranty for my 2019 LX 570 (26,000 miles) for $4455 from Midwest Superstore Toyota from Jerry Johnson. I passed on the unlimited extended warranty, it was many thousands more from my dealer…who otherwise was very good.

This is a Toyota dealer who can sell the Lexus warranty.

At the prices listed, no

I got the 7/100k Toyota Platinum VSA on my LC and it was <$1300. I got back a bit more than half of that with a radiator replacement. Call around to other dealers, you can buy the warranty from any dealer, the only advantage of doing it at the selling dealer is that you get to finance the amount.

On average you will lose $ on an extended warranty. But if you’re an unlucky outlier and have an expensive repair then it can pay for itself (and then some). You need to decide if you had a major repair (like a $10k engine rebuild due to a dropped valve) outside of warranty could you easily/reasonable pay for it? If so, skip the warranty, as these vehicles are pretty reliable and statistically it’s a money losing proposition

Don’t buy it, what a money scam.

Tell them no and ur going to shop around, watch how fast they come down on Their prices.

I am planning to get lexus certified vehicle 2019 LX 570 with 38k miles in few weeks. I know they are reliable vehicles but not bulletproof and I am planning to keep this vehicle for 10 to 15 years. Will add ~150k additional to it. Is extended warranty worth it given that I am planning to keep it for some time?

I am getting the following quotes from a lexus:
4360$ Till 2028
4960$ Till 2029
5650$ Till 2030

It says L|Certified till Feb/28 of 2025. I don’t see any mileage associated with it. Should clarify something? They said it’s unlimited mileage. I would appreciate some guidance.

View attachment 3144542
Hi,

Purchase the Certified 5 year unlimited mileage extension! It is fully transferable to a future buyer and is refundable. (fully for the first two years during the 2 year certified warranty period and then pro-rated based on time during the five years.). It will greatly increase future resale value if you choose to sell it and provide a hassle free ownership experience. Any Lexus dealer can sell the warranty. I would try to buy it for $100 to $200 over their cost as part of the purchase agreement. (probably relatively close to the prices quoted). I do think there is some small advantage to purchasing it from the dealer that you plan on using to service the vehicle.

We have a certified 2013 LX570 purchased in October of 2017 with about 60,000 miles. We are approaching 160,000 miles today. We purchased the five year unlimited mileage extension (7 year total unlimited mileage warranty)

They have replaced the transfer case, brake booster, rear hatch motor, a tpms issue, ride height sensor and I think more. It is in the shop now for a fairly major engine issue and we have been watching the front struts seep for a little while. The electronics and ride height system add a level of complexity and cost that can be painfully expensive to repair or you choose to ignore it and satisfaction in the vehicle can decrease. You are essentially guaranteeing an almost perfect running vehicle in seven years. You could sell it at year six and the new buyer could use the warranty for a full year. If you total it in an accident, you can be refunded the prorated difference.

We questioned whether we should buy it because of the well known reliability. We really did not use it much until about three or four years into the warranty and have two years left. If you buy it, go for the five year extension - that extra longevity is where it really pays off.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom