Should I buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings Cruiserheads,
This is my first ever post. I already own a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with 83K miles on it. I've always loved Land Cruisers and have an opportunity to buy a 1997 Land Cruiser from a Toyota Dealer. It's well worn on the interior but the body and engine looks really good. It does have some rust on the frame but since I live in Texas further rust will be slow to come. According to CarFax it only has 166K miles on it. My question to all you experts is: How hard will it be for me to find replacement parts as they wear out and how hard will it be to recondition the interior (seat covers, trim, etc). Thanks for your help.

That button called search is your best friend here.

Thanks Njck22, but as general advice would I be out of my mind to buy it and hope to use it as a daily driver?

Most of the important bits are still available from Toyota. We know very little about the particular vehicle you are looking at and how much you might pay for it. But tons of people on here use their 80 as a daily driver however worth remembering...
1) Maintenance costs will nip a bit unless you turn your own wrenches or have deep pockets
2) Gas costs for someone who does 10K per year will exceed $2000

As far as refurbing the interior goes it can all be done. Lots of options for seat leather, carpet, steering wheel etc. A local auto upholsterer should be able to handle your door cards. If your dash is split then depending on colour a new one maybe available from Mr T.

Low miles…last of the model year… and best of all you want one…only mystery now is the price…

Parts are available, just don't drive it till broken and expect to pick up anything but brake pads at the local parts store.
Consider all parts to be a two day to two week wait. I run mine on a strict PM schedual keeping track of what it will need in the next month or even 6 months, then order the parts and complete the PM over weekends.
Mine is a DD. 248Kmi

Most of the important bits are still available from Toyota. We know very little about the particular vehicle you are looking at and how much you might pay for it. But tons of people on here use their 80 as a daily driver however worth remembering...
1) Maintenance costs will nip a bit unless you turn your own wrenches or have deep pockets
2) Gas costs for someone who does 10K per year will exceed $2000

As far as refurbing the interior goes it can all be done. Lots of options for seat leather, carpet, steering wheel etc. A local auto upholsterer should be able to handle your door cards. If your dash is split then depending on colour a new one maybe available from Mr T.

E914F9B8-5DBA-499E-955D-2EEF2C868E1A.jpeg
A37E185E-B66B-4CD2-B90A-7067BB00FD87.jpeg

DB751D3F-E587-4047-A78F-7388EF356B15.jpeg

0F40CC67-71BD-45FB-9C31-7CC88DBBF4F0.jpeg

Wow. I thought texas trucks were pretty much rust free. I think that rust would curb my enthusiasm significantly.

That is a lot of rust..... I would run away unless it's under $3,000.00

Chassis and axles can be recovered with lots of effort and a little money but bodywork corrosion is a very different matter.
If you are getting the truck for a decent price (less than $5k ) then it might be worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Start with KBB value and then deduct for the crap interior, new exhaust, 20 years of no maintenance and all the rust. Should get you in right around $3K. By the way I had to select "fair" as "Crap" wasn't an option ;)

1629674235335.png

Buy it and get them to throw in some media and a blaster as well as a needle gun and a lift.

Virtually guaranteed to have rust in the upper rear hatch.

That interior is nasty.

Looks to me like it leaks water. Sun roof may be a big problem due to that dark stained headliner. The dash gauges look wet as well. I am not sure this is your truck.

The frame is really crusty. I think you can find better rust free cruisers in texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom