Should I buy this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gimme a 60

I Forgot About the Women!
SILVER Star
Threads
Hello mudders.

I’m need some honest advice here. I know a lot of you are from the dry parts of the USA, well, I’m from BC Canada, meaning I’m from a place where we have big rust issues. So, my FJ62 has a very rusted out tail gate, and I found a replacement for $240 CAD and it comes with a lift gate and tailgate. Now, it’s not perfect, far from it. But it’s all I can get, nobody else I know can get their hands on a tailgate.

Should I buy this tailgate? Is it too far gone? Worth saving? Is it worth the money? ALL ADVICE IS VALUABLE!

8ACF6E02-BCA3-4B53-AE4F-1C8A1B88394D.png

47A5AC5A-65AE-4A69-BBEF-C0A946D0CAA7.png

40052926-B120-404F-9E08-8E7446A1FE8A.png

C0AAC9FD-94EB-4B83-92B1-52777C98985C.png

783226B1-F73D-4FF5-89EE-C71FFAEC7971.png

Well it does not seem to be much choices! I have successfully restored 1984 merc door panels by soaking in a cow trough with molasses, then patch weld, hammer back etc. Can take quite some time, and still have to spend money on paint and lots of stuff, abrasives, wire wheel, bead blast, goop , abrasives, primer, sealer, body build... You may end up spending $100-$200 more too restore it. That is not including tools if you need to buy them.
Molasses works very well but can get stinky.

I have the following tools:

Makita random orbit sander

Cheap suction sander, using silica sand

Miller 210 welder 75/25 (do I need to run 100 Aragon?)

Automotive paint gun

Bench, vice, bender….. what more would I need. This is my shop that I’m working out of…. But understand that I have 0 bodywork experience and I would love to learn how to do bodywork properly.

3FA4AE41-AED8-48B4-9DC6-79BBF635F5B8.jpeg

looks cosy. sounds like you'll manage.
I patiently used a sandblaster connected to the air compressor too, some say only to use beads or walnut husk.
An advantage is that it is a separate panel which bolts on, rather than part of the main tub.
It is all an adventure really, go for it if you have the time and money.

For the overall cost of repairing this tailgate after purchase or repairing your current tailgate you might consider sourcing a more rust free one from the US. It may cost more, but it might be a better option. ClassicCruisersLLC is always parting out 60s, you might contact them and see if they have a tailgate. They’re in Colorado.
Also check the classifieds here if you haven’t already.
Shipping cost would be insane though.
How bad is your current tailgate?

For the overall cost of repairing this tailgate after purchase or repairing your current tailgate you might consider sourcing a more rust free one from the US. It may cost more, but it might be a better option. ClassicCruisersLLC is always parting out 60s, you might contact them and see if they have a tailgate. They’re in Colorado.
Also check the classifieds here if you haven’t already.
Shipping cost would be insane though.
How bad is your current tailgate?

My current tailgate is completely rusted thought at the entire bottom. All the way. I don’t think it can be saved.

Tailgate doesn’t seem that terrible. Seam sealer on the corner and across the bottom doesn’t really look factory for some reason though. Maybe repaired before?

The hatch is crap, but anything is fixable. I’d make a wanted ad in classifieds

It doesn't look too bad. Cruiser parts.net lists a used tailgate in good condition at $450.00.

Other than final prep and paint, I think you can bring that tailgate back to life with fairly minimal input.

Do you have an angle grinder?
If not, definitely get one!
Wire wheel the entire rust-affected area and use your welder (your argon/co2 mix is perfect) to patch in some 18 gauge plate. Hammer it and filler weld to shape as best you can, then use body filler and sand to get the final shape.

I think you will be happy with the outcome, and, on the bright side, the tailgate will not prevent you from using your car in the meantime, so it will be a good project to throw spare time at!

Other than final prep and paint, I think you can bring that tailgate back to life with fairly minimal input.

Do you have an angle grinder?
If not, definitely get one!
Wire wheel the entire rust-affected area and use your welder (your argon/co2 mix is perfect) to patch in some 18 gauge plate. Hammer it and filler weld to shape as best you can, then use body filler and sand to get the final shape.

I think you will be happy with the outcome, and, on the bright side, the tailgate will not prevent you from using your car in the meantime, so it will be a good project to throw spare time at!

Very true, I do have a makita angle grinder and I also have a wire wheel with a air hookup. Thanks for the input.

that tailgate has had work done to it already, there are no signs of holes for the 4WD emblem, no telling what is under the paint. and it looks like something quite heavy was dropped on the left side of it. I would pass on the hatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom