1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shocks

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by eleblanc, Aug 26, 2006.

1. eleblanc

eleblanc

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi,

Seems like i'm going to have to change shocks, i'd like to go and buy a full Old man emu spring/shock and shakle, but i don't have the cash for all yet. Can i get the shock that comes with the kit with my current setup (stock leaf but longer shackle).

Also is there any other good shock, maybe ajustable any would recommand. I was going to go with the medium and heavy kit. Seems like the Nitrocharger are expensive here in QC, Canada. Even if i go with different shock i still plan on getting the OMU leaf soon.

What about Rancho RS9000

Truck is 1983 BJ42

Thanks

2. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

run factory for now, cheap and will fit fine...

3. JDMGoodness

JDMGoodness

Media:
    Albums:
    I run the 9000's. I find them to be really good. With my lift and 36's anything but really firm makes for white knuckles on the highway.

I can soften them up in the city or on the trail.

4. crushers

36" tires shouldn't cause white knuckles, check your caster setting. i have run 35s for years with no issues at highway speeds and buddies with bigger down to Rubicon, Moab, Pismo beach, Alaska with no issues.
    if the lift is done properly and the tires balanced properly, proper air pressure, then even at stupid rates of speed there should be no "white knuckling".

5. crushers

and yes, i agree, the RS9000 and the RS5000 are excellent shocks...

6. Diescipel

Diescipel

x2

The problem with running the OME lift shocks on a stock set up is that they may have the wrong travel etc. for stock height springs. However, you could measure the distance between your shock mounts, flex the suspension hard, measure again, and see if that range is within the range specs of the OMEs.

Seems to me you don't want to be buying shocks twice if you don't have to, but also consider that the OME shocks will be cheaper in the kit than if bought singly.

Also these DT8000s I've got are less than $40 US each and are so far excellent.

B

7. eleblanc

eleblanc

Media:
    Albums:
    You mean i should buy factory (stock) size shocks until i get the Old man emu kit?

8. eleblanc

eleblanc

Media:
    Albums:
    The only problem i could see with the OME shocks are the compressed dimension, so it may limit me on the distance i compress, but since the Old Man emu lift kit for my truck is only about 2" i can't see how that could cause me to bottom out on the shock. I need to find the compress dimension of the nitrocharger from the OME kit and compare it with my current setup. And that should tell me if i'll be ever close to bottom the OME shock. Obviously i will never reach full extension of shock.

I'd like to check my current shock, can i just unbolt the bottom support and compress/uncompress shock to inspect them. Or should i jack/lift the front of the truck before unbolting the truck

9. eleblanc

eleblanc

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry i'm french Canadien what you mean by white knuckling? I change my tires lately from a 31" cooper discovery to a 33" BF mud. My front left tires was worn strangly, the outter and inner side of the tire add one tall then one short and so one thread. And the guy and the garage who change my tires told me tis was mostlikely cause by a bad shock.

10. Diescipel

Diescipel

You can unbolt the shock without lifting etc. the truck. The leaf springs will keep it all together--shocks are just for dampening as I'm sure you know. Just don't drive it with a shock off:D Yes the bottoming of the shock is what you should be concerned with.

Again remember that an OME kit will be cheaper if bought together. If you start buying parts--i.e. the shocks, then the springs, etc.--it will end up costing more $$$. Or I would at least investigate this to see if it is true.

With regard to your tires--that is exactly what happened to the tires on my truck when I bought it. My shocks were so bad they had literally frozen. I had the funny cupping on my tires that you describe.

"White knuckles"-- quand le chauffeur est si craintif qu'il saisit le volant de direction si dur que ses articulations du doigt tournent blanc. Sorry my French is not that great.

:cheers:
    B

11. eleblanc

eleblanc

Media:
    Albums:

From what i've seen yet when shopping the OME kit, it is not a "kit" some reseller may sell it cheaper if you buy everything but there are not kit from ARB. So i guess i should be able to buy the shock alone then later the leaf and shackle, i need to check with my shop if they will sell them the same price has if i take the kit. Probably a small extra for shipping, will see.

"White knuckles"-- quand le chauffeur est si craintif qu'il saisit le volant de direction si dur que ses articulations du doigt tournent blanc. Sorry my French is not that great.

Your fench is fine, well i don't need to be concern with "white knuckles" then.

Well since i have new tires i will buy shock ASAP before i cause more arm to them.

Now i need to know the dimension of the OME nitrocharger N41 and N89 shock compressed and extended. If anyone know were i can find this has there don't seem to be any kind of dimension or spec sheet on the arb site.

12. Diescipel

Diescipel

Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters probably has the best prices on OME suspensions and he's the kind of guy that will work with you--allow you to buy the shocks now and still get a discount on his kit later. He's on this discussion board frequently but just search for "cruiser outfitters" and let him know you are on MUD etc.\

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com

He would have the dimensions or would be able to advise you bettter than I with what you need.

B

13. JDMGoodness

JDMGoodness

Media:
    Albums:
    The white knuckles come from driving a barn down the highway.

It's more of the swaying in winds. It tracks fine. The tires are lumpy from wear but if have soft shocks, 6" lift and 36's you'll have an interesting time going through tight mountain turns.

Firm up the shocks and it gets a whole lot better. The way it should be.

14. eleblanc

eleblanc

Media:
    Albums:
    I've talk to Kurt, Since i currently have modified stock leaf (added leaf) and some custom made shakle i have no clue how much higher then stock i am. Also i still have 2.5 inch before the truck won't go in the garage. So i did a sketch with dimension from center to axle to under the frame verticaly and sent those dimension to kurt so i know what i'll get once i have the OME installed, but never got any answer from him. Is price seems good around 1500 if i remember, but once i paid rate exchange, customs, shipping. I'm at the same price some local shop will sell me the kit. I just don't have 2000$ right now, i've just change tires, and got ARB locker front and rear, so i kinda ran out of $ now. And wanted to go with the OME kit in around 2 month.

I had to ask someone else for dimension and i am still not sure abou the real raise i'll get. I have to go meet a guy who just had OME kit installed 2 weeks ago.

So for now i need to change shocks, something seem loose in the front and i think my front left is really screwed. I'll check it later. When i will remove the shock, if it is bad, will i be able to compress it really easily?

I don't plan on running bigger tires then the almost 34" BF muf i have (255/85/16). I want my trail riding to be a challenge. :D And the 2 - 2.5 inch lift from the OME is fine with me.

Now i need compress dimension of N41 and N89 :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2006
  15. David*BJ70

David*BJ70 Looking forward to reach the end of the world

Éric, tu auras aucune difficulté de les compresser. Les shock Toyota sont des shocks à simple action. Il doit par contre avoir une resistance quand tu les décompresses.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">