Servicing Warn 8200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I found a similar thread to this topic, but seems as though its unanswered. I have also been stripping and servicing my 8200 and I am having a very difficult time separating the brake unit from the gear shaft in order to access and replace the severely worn bearing between the two. It seems extremely difficult to separate and I am worried about damaging component's. Please any help or advice on how to split them would be so appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

20210621_103321.jpg

Hi all,

I found a similar thread to this topic, but seems as though its unanswered. I have also been stripping and servicing my 8200 and I am having a very difficult time separating the brake unit from the gear shaft in order to access and replace the severely worn bearing between the two. It seems extremely difficult to separate and I am worried about damaging component's. Please any help or advice on how to split them would be so appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 2712175
**old post I found**

"I am looking for help on a 8200 warn winch. According to others I have talked to this winch was only made for 9 months sometime around 1973. Warn no longer sells parts for this model, but supposedly a guy in MN does. But not all parts are available, just certain ones. I need to know how to separate the brake assembly from the gear inside the housing. It almost appears as if it is all one piece, but I know better than that. I hate to start beating it with a hammer because I dont want to break any parts that arent replaceable. Any help would be nice.......if anyone has one of these, or knows someone that has one of these winches, I would greatly appreciate the help, Thanks."

*please note * Picture is not the correct part I am referencing to, but cannot seem to remove it? Sorry for any confusion.

Can fit a jaw or steering wheel puller?
Heat, lube and patience.

Do you have an exploded diagram?
Thank you for responding. Been trying to heat and wedge it to split but to no avail! I do have a diagram thank you but not the best clarity. It definitely seems as though it should split but just don't know why so fixed?

20210624_165520.jpg

20210624_163101.jpg

I see the problem. Its that Land Rover floor mat. The winch is revolting and not cooperating because it thinks you are about to mount it on a Land Rover.

Just kidding. I don't have any helpful suggestions. There are a few 8274 facebook groups who may offer some help. I will say that I would hate to have you damage something, due to the rarity of parts for those old winches.

Good luck.

I was reading this thread as I am in the process of rebuilding/cleaning up a 8200 and had come across the same challenge.
Savutisky: I'm not sure if you already figured out how to separate the inner brake shoe from the gear shaft since the posts in June (or given up?), but it's not pressed on - it's threaded (left hand thread).
Mine took a little penetrating fluid and light tap with a appropriately placed punch/hammer to loosen (while holding the gear by hand), but otherwise wasn't too bad. Just be careful not to drop some of the needle bearings like I did when you take the shaft out...
It's all apart and cleaned up now and I'm planning to put everything back together in the next few days.

20211227_235129.jpg

20211228_123351.jpg

20211228_123356.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom