Seriously lost - 87 fourrunner not starting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so I'm starting a new thread.

Truck is an 87 4runner. 22re, 5speed, SR5.

What I've done. It started everytime I tried starting it before any of this was done. The following is the sequence of replacement and the outcome within the reasonable time frame for problems to arise due to the certain addition.

1) New plugs and wires. Ran after I replaced them. Slightly better performance.
2) New Air filter. Started and ran afterwards. No noticeable jump in perf.

*3) adjusted the timing via the distributor. Did this while running. When I shut it off it would start back up. I put it back where it was and it wouldn't start. Git frustrated and went inside. The next day it started up at the "new" timing position of the distributor. Major jump in power, engine smoothness, and overall healthiness of the motor. The truck has been intermittent and starting since I adjusted it no matter if the dist is in the original location or advanced slightly.

4) today I tried switch the AFM with one that was known to work, about 95% sure it worked, to be honest. No dice. Same lack of start.

During my trying today I test the spark at the plugs, it is getting spark, and the fuel pump diagnosed with the Fp and B+ terminals to be working. Still no start.

Here is a possibly wild card. The batter in the truck is shot. If I want to try to start it I have to jump it with my 80. It will not hold charge and is to the point if you shut it off it will just click on restart. Is it possible the battery's lack of charge is doing something in the system that is having to be reset everytime or something else electrical?

I'm really at my wits end on this thing. It shouldn't be this hard. It has fuel and spark and that leaves air but I'm unsure how to go about diagnosing that other than dumping $$$ after $$$ into intake parts.

Okay so I'm starting a new thread.

Truck is an 87 4runner. 22re, 5speed, SR5.

What I've done. It started everytime I tried starting it before any of this was done. The following is the sequence of replacement and the outcome within the reasonable time frame for problems to arise due to the certain addition.

1) New plugs and wires. Ran after I replaced them. Slightly better performance.
2) New Air filter. Started and ran afterwards. No noticeable jump in perf.

*3) adjusted the timing via the distributor. Did this while running. When I shut it off it would start back up. I put it back where it was and it wouldn't start. Git frustrated and went inside. The next day it started up at the "new" timing position of the distributor. Major jump in power, engine smoothness, and overall healthiness of the motor. The truck has been intermittent and starting since I adjusted it no matter if the dist is in the original location or advanced slightly.

4) today I tried switch the AFM with one that was known to work, about 95% sure it worked, to be honest. No dice. Same lack of start.

During my trying today I test the spark at the plugs, it is getting spark, and the fuel pump diagnosed with the Fp and B+ terminals to be working. Still no start.

Here is a possibly wild card. The batter in the truck is shot. If I want to try to start it I have to jump it with my 80. It will not hold charge and is to the point if you shut it off it will just click on restart. Is it possible the battery's lack of charge is doing something in the system that is having to be reset everytime or something else electrical?

I'm really at my wits end on this thing. It shouldn't be this hard. It has fuel and spark and that leaves air but I'm unsure how to go about diagnosing that other than dumping $$$ after $$$ into intake parts.
Howdy! Would first test the battery theory by swapping them out. If no luck, then start looking at all the other little things that could affect this. I had a terrible time on my 85 until I found the electrical socket for the throttle position sensor was corroded, and it was also loose. the tabs were cracked and not holding it tightly. It is real easy to bump into stuff like that while you are working on other items. I found that it only took a little wiggle on that socket to screw things up. Smog/vacuum controls all fall victim to this also. John

I'm hoping I'm just and idiot. I simply swapped the battery over to the 4-runner and it fired right up like like a sewing machine. Maybe there was something simply not right when jumping it and it wasn't working right. I shut it off and started it three times in a row and it worked everytime.

Ill be idiot of the week happily if that is all it was.

Hehehee I bet you weren't getting a good connection with the jumper cables, and for whatever reason that was causing your issues... I'd test it with the battery swap again in a few days and if it starts right up, then head to that parts store for a bat. :cheers:

I was planning on doing just that.

I was thinking that it was possible the truck had enough power to turn the starter but the computer and other essential things were not getting enough power sun jumping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom