serious thoughts on Tundra or Sequoia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Figured you guys are the ones to ask here as I have been starting to look at Tundra's and Sequoia's for some time now !

I hear the 5.7 is better ?

Either one will work for the woman and I but it will come down to dependability low maintenance and towing capacity !

I have been driving Landcruisers since 1992 and own quite a few currently. We just purchased a used 25ft camper trailer that we will be towing through the mountains from Alberta to B.C. and there is no way a Landcruiser will be able to do that ! camper is around 5000lbs ''Prowler Fleetwood'' 1988

If we go Tundra ( used ) then we will get a topper. We don't have kids and occasionally have passengers.

Wondering what the comments are ???
thnx

I owned a 2012 crewmax and currently have a 2014 limited Sequoia. For a time we had both but that was more v8s than we needed so we sold the tundra. The tundra with rear leaf springs and longer wheel base tows a bit better. The Sequoia is quieter, rides smoother and gets better gas mileage (partly due to the lift and tires I had on the tundra). The Sequoia is easier to park. We tow a 20 ft trailer with a dry weight of 4600# and max weight of 7000#. The Sequoia does well. Same power as the tundra. I have timbren helper springs and use a equalizer hitch. We pull our trailer a couple thousand miles a year. I would say if you want more space and towing capacity get the tundra with the topper. If you want more comfort and people hauling capacity get the Sequoia. In either case stick with the 5.7

We have 50k miles on the Sequoia. Just standard maintenance as per the service manual. No issues. It's a timing chain motor so no 90k timing belt replacement. Just regular fluid and filter changes. If you read up on the tundra forums they had some issues on some of the earlier ones, I think air pump or something. One other thing to note, sequoias are assembled in Japan, tundras in the US.

The only maintenance issue on my 2008 Sequoia Limited w/90k was a oil pan drip...took me an hour to fix myself when I did an oil change. Normally, my local Toyota dealer does oil changes on the 5.7L for 29.99

We looked at the Crewmax Tundra and decided on the Sequoia for the electronic folding third row.

You'll be a little underpowered with an earlier sequoia or crewcab tundra, but an 05-07 sequoia or 05-06 tundra with the vvti 4.7 will get the job done and be WAY cheaper...

Get one with the 4.7. Best motor. Will not leave you. Won't win any race but if you need HUGE Cabs and big HP numbers buy a Ford, Chevy or Dodge. I hate the fact that Toyota completely bailed on everything that made them great. Small cabs, low HP but super reliable trucks. Now they're just another Ford, Chevy or Dodge in my eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom