sequoia into 40 or ? questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alberta mac

addicted but not cured
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I have an fj40 and a good running 03 sequoia. I was thinking of putting the motor and power steering into the fj40 and considering swapping the front and rear brakes from the sequoia on the 40 also.
Cutting and welding the 40 frame to install shock towers, steering set up and motor mounts, then trying to figure out how to put discs on a 78 fj40 front and rear.
Or would it just be better to cut and weld in new body mounts and install an fj40 cab ?
Either way it's a real time commitment one being longer time period than the other. Pros and cons it would have the 100 litre, 26 gallon gas tank and front coil springs good for approach angle. Then there is the width that I haven't looked at, just off the top the sequoia is much wider, could end up looking to Frankin- crap like ? not sure !
I would probably make it an fj44 or 46 with that extra frame length or just transfer things to the 40 frame ?
Hmm what to do ? So reaching out to you all since there is so much knowledge in this forum !

I have an fj40 and a good running 03 sequoia. I was thinking of putting the motor and power steering into the fj40 and considering swapping the front and rear brakes from the sequoia on the 40 also.
Cutting and welding the 40 frame to install shock towers, steering set up and motor mounts, then trying to figure out how to put discs on a 78 fj40 front and rear.
Or would it just be better to cut and weld in new body mounts and install an fj40 cab ?
Either way it's a real time commitment one being longer time period than the other. Pros and cons it would have the 100 litre, 26 gallon gas tank and front coil springs good for approach angle. Then there is the width that I haven't looked at, just off the top the sequoia is much wider, could end up looking to Frankin- crap like ? not sure !
I would probably make it an fj44 or 46 with that extra frame length or just transfer things to the 40 frame ?
Hmm what to do ? So reaching out to you all since there is so much knowledge in this forum !
What's your end goal? Trail truck or daily? What's your budget and time frame? Quick and dirty is probably going to be new mounts and swapping the 40 onto the 03 chassis, but you could also do a really nice job too and have something that drives modern and looks like a 40 (my idea of a dream car).
Moving all the good stuff over is also an option, but you'll be surprised by just how bogged down some of the supporting mods can get.

Either way, sounds awesome! Love a modern drive train hidden in a 40 body.

Drives modern ! I wheeled for ten years but still love cruisers. I'm no paint nazi so when the op presents itself I sometimes don't think twice. It would have to have a capable suspension to accomodate 33bfg muds, it will be the45 in my tag that I can use for my DD work truck with a roof rack ( got it just have to shorten to fitbox ) for 4x8dywall /wood / hang gliders and tow a utility trailer for work. I always loved trails, not mud.
I'm collecting parts and will be weighing up which way to finishing this build.
The 45 has an early model B motor with an h55f that will have to be pulled as it is very under powered living in mountain country.
The 5 speed will keep people honking at me as I drive in the right lane !

Last edited:
FYI - You will not be able to keep the front wheels/tires centered in the front fender openings if you put the 40 body on the Sequoia frame. You'd have to move the engine back, or do a rear mounted radiator.

FYI - You will not be able to keep the front wheels/tires centered in the front fender openings if you put the 40 body on the Sequoia frame. You'd have to move the engine back, or do a rear mounted radiator.
Some who knows more than I do about the sequoia! I would listen to @UZJ40 , dude knows this better than anyone else I reckon.

And now that he mentions it, I went to great pains to try and keep the tyres in the correct position in the front fenders on my build. I largely pulled it off but anyone who knows their stuff knows I missed the mark by about 1/2"
20221107_145804.jpg

FWIW, strip the 40's front, pull seq motor, figure out if it fits first, decide on rest of drivetrain, set in 40 for fit, cooling, acc's, ect... mock it up with carboard models if needed, then see if your link/coil spring mounts all still fit, you will have to section some towers/buckets into frame for coils or coilovers to fit OR get a wider front axle( full size).
Then check the frame side mounts, if thats all good build it,stretch the 40 like 10 to 12 inches at B pillar where tub meets bed, section so the front of the rear wheel wells stays and add flat pieces to the side and top of wheel well, just have to map out the cuts around the front of wheel well, and across bed, if you drill and cut so the rear lip of under body chanel supports the bed extension piece. I like the idea but it seems the package may be too much for the 40 engine bay, give it a shot.

FWIW, strip the 40's front, pull seq motor, figure out if it fits first, decide on rest of drivetrain, set in 40 for fit, cooling, acc's, ect... mock it up with carboard models if needed, then see if your link/coil spring mounts all still fit, you will have to section some towers/buckets into frame for coils or coilovers to fit OR get a wider front axle( full size).
Then check the frame side mounts, if thats all good build it,stretch the 40 like 10 to 12 inches at B pillar where tub meets bed, section so the front of the rear wheel wells stays and add flat pieces to the side and top of wheel well, just have to map out the cuts around the front of wheel well, and across bed, if you drill and cut so the rear lip of under body chanel supports the bed extension piece. I like the idea but it seems the package may be too much for the 40 engine bay, give it a shot.
The 45 can has already been stretched. I like the idea of mocking up in cardboard rad and such,
Suspension will stay Leafs and get a 4" lift for 33's. I will need to figure out power steering, air con, find out who makes an adapter bell housing for the R15f trans to 4.7 motor. Then there is brakes and rotors to switch over if possible.

The 45 can has already been stretched. I like the idea of mocking up in cardboard rad and such,
Suspension will stay Leafs and get a 4" lift for 33's. I will need to figure out power steering, air con, find out who makes an adapter bell housing for the R15f trans to 4.7 motor. Then there is brakes and rotors to switch over if possible.
Is it a 2uz?

I'll check but yes I think its the 2uz v8 4.7
I know there are aftermarket kits available for the 1/2/3uz to the R151F. I didn't end up going that way on my build but I did all the homework. In my part of the world, the kit and everything you need will set you back about $2500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom