SBC cooling...again? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
stuffing a NV4500 in with the SBC. Looking to move the drivetrain as far forward as possible in order to keep drive shaft shaft length reasonable. If i switch to a electric cooling fan can this give me more room up front?
Looking at volvo option.
If make the jump to electric can I change the water pump to a short style to save space?
Running only PS and alternator on pulleys.

You could be opening up a can of worms going to a short w/p. I think short pumps were typically used pre 1968 or 69. The P/S pump bolted to the block, and the alt was high on the drivers side. You may have to mix and match pulleys to get things to line up. Long pumps usually had the alt on the pass side, and the P/S pump typically hangs off of the pump and blk. Moving the engine forward to try to make the rear shaft as long as possible makes sense, to a point. What happens when you set it up for only an electric fan, and then in the future, you need or want to change to a mechanical fan and didn't leave enuff room for 1.

One remedy could be to use the short water pump with a full set of short water pump pulleys, then use a large o.d. seven bladed air conditioning fan blade, not on a fan clutch. What you'd have to watch out for with this option is any portion of the engine getting too close to the front axle housing during bottoming-out the suspension.

What you gain by the short pump isn't worth it
For the mounting of the alternator and ps pump
Becomes a problem the alternator mounts off the driver side exhaust manifold
And proper brackets are getting hard to find

Mine has a short pump and electric fan, was that way when I bought it. I'd prefer it had a long pump with better accessory brackets and mounting options, and a mechanical fan for better and more reliable cooling. I did finally get my cooling issue sorted out... with a Champion 3 row radiator and Taurus fan. I can try to help if you decide to go with the short pump, but like I said, the long pump is a better setup. Alan Grove does offer some really nice brackets for a short pump setup too.
Small Block Short Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom