San Francisco River trip - Clifton AZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Saddletramp and I attempted to traverse the San Francisco River outside of Clifton Arizona only to be denied the completion a 1.25 miles from the end. The traverse was exciting with 48 water crossing from mild to wild. Our skills were tested with water crossings, winching, strapping, landscaping, and route finding. A great time even though we both suffered a couple bumps and bruises.

The video below was one of the longer crossings

IMG_5688[1].JPG
IMG_5699[1].JPG
IMG_5706[1].JPG
IMG_5731[1].JPG
IMG_5738[1].JPG

Looks amazing! Future club run for part of the trail??

Looks amazing! Future club run for part of the trail??

Not 100 friendly at all

There is another FR route to the river near the Martinez Ranch that does require 4WD. No river crossings but some amazing remote camping on the river.

Very cool!

I would consider this run the most challenging even for our 80's. 100's, no way they would come out un-scathed. Phil and I both have a number of repairs necessary on our trucks just to get back to normal.

There are some easier trails and the scenery was spectacular.
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG

Pictures of Damage??

Pictures of Damage??

This is all you get from me:flipoff2:

IMG_5834[2].JPG

As luck would have it I had a FedEx box waiting for me when I returned with a brand new HD 30mm swaybar. Timing:D

IMG_5849[1].JPG

I haven't completed my list yet but I popped loose both rear flares but it is just the plastic push pins. Smashed my transfer case skid, already bent back a little. My lights have water in them, need to dry them out. I've gut several clunks in my suspension and driveline that I haven't figured out yet. My scratches in all areas are deep, may not buff out and the ones in my front fender flares are down to black plastic. I haven't checked fluids yet but I did have some water in my tuna can so this should give you an idea of some water depth, I think Phil has a picture of my headlights underwater.

Sliders and bumpers did their job and were thoroughly tested repeatedly. Lastly, I locked my differentials more times this trip than I ever did in all my other trips combined on both this truck and my previous 80.

Bent sway bar and who knows what else. We both need some wrenching time to complete our evaluations.

Curious was undercarriage damage done while crossing water or dry land? Hard to judge how to avoid something you can't see.

My rear sway-bar has a slight bend on the passenger side. Both front sway bar mounting drops are bent. The transfer skid still has a bit of bend to it and rear flares after I tried to push them back in.

IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG

Note the scratches in my 4x4 labs rear bumper from dragging.

Sounds like a good adventure. Thanks for sharing. That part of the state has a handful of relatively unknown 4x4 routes through some backcountry that sees little travel.

What was the reason for denial?

Sounds like a good adventure. Thanks for sharing. That part of the state has a handful of relatively unknown 4x4 routes through some backcountry that sees little travel.

What was the reason for denial?

No where to go.

I will gladly pay your fuel bill if you or anyone can go the remaining 1.25 in a LC to join FR212. :popcorn:

For a challange off Hwy 78 go in/out on FR215 and come out/in on FR212 back to Hwy 78. Great views and it will get your blood flowing but not for the inexperienced.

I did do it 18 years ago solo:D has not changed much from then(nor have I:flipoff2:) seen below
mvc-686s-jpg.78843

mvc-697s-jpg.78842

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom