SOLD San Diego, CA: 1974/Toyota/FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1974 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40

F155 motor, four speed manual.

Probably over 100k miles, no way of knowing since odometer broke at 56,000. Therefore assume 156,000 minimum.

Recently replaced clutch, cylinder head, oil pan, front axle seals and brakes. Radiator replaced 4 years ago. Starts easily and runs very smooth. Solid truck, drives straight. Rear differential will need replacement, there’s a bit of play when the clutch is engaged too quickly so it clunks slightly-go easy and it’s not a problem. Price reflects this fact.

If this is your first time, read every word in this link before asking any questions: *** Purchasing an FJ-40 / FJ-40 B U Y E R S G U I D E *** (f A Q )

The Classic FJ40, ready for the next chapter in it’s journey. I’ve put in a few thousand just getting acquainted with this machine. From what I know this rig has spent most of it’s life in the desert southwest-I found evidence of it staying in Arizona for a time. As you can see from the photos, the hard top is suspect as usual, one bad rust spot on the passenger side as is obvious. PO painted it over, doing a decent job, and there are the standard rust areas/bondo patches at the rear sill and corners. Look at the photos, if you are a FJ40 enthusiast you know exactly what I mean. That being said, the rust does seem to be mostly surface, looking from the backside of the body everything is intact. Solid frame, axles, etc. Spring suspension is stock and it drives that way! But get her off road and everything changes-FJ40 loves dirt! So this is an excellent foundation for a future build. The rig was in one obvious collision in the past, passenger front, fender was crumpled and the B-pillar impacted. See photos, I am showing everything so you can see what’s what. The right front frame rail was bent very slightly but as mentioned before, the truck drives straight and the suspension and steering linkage was not bent. Recently journeyed through the axle rebuild and did all the seals, bearings, front brakes, etc. The rig sits in front of my house except for annual trips to the desert for mild off-roading. I do not thrash it, and by the looks of it this ride has not been as thrashed as some. A few nicks and dings on the skid plates below, and I replaced the oil pan which had a good ding in it as noted above. Asking price is $7,500.00.

Dave 619-929-1944
buscando13@sbcglobal.net

IMG_2762.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

Last edited:
Please post photos of rear sill / quarter panels which you mention show some rust spot.

Great looking 40 and price.

3 or 4 speed?

Also, the one pic of the passenger side B pillar damage is not the best, given your description. Obviously the factory seam at the front of the rocker panel has been bondo’d over and cracked away from the seam. I’m not sure, but the rocker also looks like it has folded in slightly at the step. Perhaps some pics of the rocker from underneath the truck, as well as a pic of the B pillar from inside the door.

I respect the fact that you’ve left the rust stains in the hardtop in place. This gives your potential buyers a very realistic sense of what they will have ahead of them in rust abatement in the panels.

Given today’s market, this rig should sell pretty fast. GLWS.

Has it really been 4 years since we met in the hotel parking lot in Sandy Eggo Dave?

Last edited:
Haha, Mark, you are a good man. Yes, I knew better than to try to hide anything from this crew!
Thanks for the feedback; I'll come clean on everything-the classifieds only let me post 5 pics but I may be able to work around it somehow-maybe reply to my own ad...I have photos of the areas you mentioned. It is a four speed, I'll note that.

Yes, 4 years sounds about right-I remember it was a burning hot day that I drove her down to Mission Valley-I've appreciated your straightforward, honest help ever since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom