SOLD Salt Lake City, UT: Homemade 80lb 100 Series Extendable Sleeping Platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I built this sleeping platform for my 100 Series, which I've since sold. Here's a link to an Instagram Highlight on the design and build process: LC Platform - @mountainwestcarspotter - https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18137730574076215/

Not really something that can be shipped, so pick up in SLC is really the only option.

I designed it myself to fit the dimensions of the 100 Series cargo area without coming into contact with the sides, 3rd row floor attachment points, etc. The requirement for me was to be able to use the second row on the way to a campsite (in my case, for my dogs), and then deploy the platform for sleeping once parked. So this design allows for the second row seat backs to be folded down and the extendable 'Z' part of the sleeping platform to be extended over top of them. Creates a flat, level surface large enough for two adults and two dogs/small kids. The different compartments underneath are good for organization too. The top is covered in industrial carpet from Lowes and I also installed 4 d-rings for ratcheting down a fridge. Weighs about 80lbs, which is about what you save when you remove the third row seats, so net weight penalty is essentially zero. I prefer this solution to a roof top tent because it doesn't raise the vehicle's center of gravity, nor does it create wind noise or impact fuel economy. It's also a fraction of the cost. I can lift it in and out myself, but it's best handled with a helper. I never got around to designing a way to secure it to the cargo floor - it would probably be smart for the next owner to do that.

I loved using this platform and it was fun designing it, but I bought a 200 Series and found a different solution, so I'm hoping to pass the platform on to someone with a 100 who'll get the same use out of it that I did.

It's made from 2x3s and plywood, plus wood screws, 2 big piano hinges, 4 D-rings, and the carpeting, which is stapled to the underside of the plywood. All-in the materials cost me about $120, and labor (design, securing materials, building) was about 10 hours for two people.

I have it listed on the local classifieds site as well: 100 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Sleeping Platform - https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/64695276

$300

IMG_20201218_121115.jpg

IMG_20191128_170207.jpg

IMG_20191125_225241.jpg

IMG_20191125_225740.jpg

IMG_20191128_170235.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom