Rust on brand new rebuild engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beehanger

SILVER Star
Threads
why the hell is there rust on my brand new rebuilt engine? It’s not in the cylinders but it’s all across the sides etc. There’s gaps in the plastic wrap and there’s patches of rust on there! The head and the block... hmmm... it sat in my car for 3 weeks is all, how can I get this off?

2A1C6FE0-DE0F-4ADA-A122-DAD80A5351A8.jpeg

9A289333-4706-44D7-89EB-B2BA0516DB2E.png

7D47A791-8737-46E3-8423-A408B27E9FD0.png

D57ACE24-BD27-48E2-BB81-CA4213FC3491.png

Here’s a picture of other rusty parts as I’m doing an engine install— how do I get this rust off these too? I have access to a wire wheel at the shop I work at where I’m doing my fj60 build (I work Business side. Not a lot of paid mechanic work, yet 😎).

B78600F9-12CD-43E8-9F08-E4F2FF839D8A.jpeg

84879599-31A4-48C6-BC18-14817ABF92D7.jpeg

44A4C923-BC16-4C0C-9DDA-34FBC786A193.jpeg

FCAFA1D6-DADB-4F92-9F52-033B7E2B41AF.jpeg

Stuff that doesn’t see exhaust heat - just wipe it down with an oily rag. Exhaust stuff won’t rust once the engine is running.
There’s a lot to be said for NOT degreasing parts in a parts washer and just leaving them open to air. The grime makes an excellent metal protector even though it’s unsightly. Everything on the engine will rust if its not painted or plated or covered in oil or grime.

Stuff that doesn’t see exhaust heat - just wipe it down with an oily rag. Exhaust stuff won’t rust once the engine is running.
There’s a lot to be said for NOT degreasing parts in a parts washer and just leaving them open to air. The grime makes an excellent metal protector even though it’s unsightly. Everything on the engine will rust if its not painted or plated or covered in oil or grime.
what’s the best approach the the engine rust? Scrape it and oil it? Or did they not do enough painting?

There’s several different methods and opinions on dealing with rust.
The way I ended up dealing with it was using a stainless steel toothbrush (found at hardware store) and OSPHO phosphoric acid rust converter (at hardware store too) and scrubbing the rusty parts with that SS brush and OSPHO. All the rust gets scrubbed off (if you’ve got the patience) and the metal looks great when you’re done - with no rust.
Then you can spray paint or use whatever paint you want.
Paint will give the best rust protection. Even rustoleum works fine.

There’s several different methods and opinions on dealing with rust.
The way I ended up dealing with it was using a stainless steel toothbrush (found at hardware store) and OSPHO phosphoric acid rust converter (at hardware store too) and scrubbing the rusty parts with that SS brush and OSPHO. All the rust gets scrubbed off (if you’ve got the patience) and the metal looks great when you’re done - with no rust.
Then you can spray paint or use whatever paint you want.
Paint will give the best rust protection. Even rustoleum works fine.
You can do this on an engine block and head?

Don’t apply paint to any mating surface. But yes, its fine to paint the SIDES of the cylinder head and block

Don’t apply paint to any mating surface. But yes, its fine to paint the SIDES of the cylinder head and block
Talked to an engine builder buddy of mine. He says to use sandpaper and wd40 on the whole engine to scrape the rust away

Talked to an engine builder buddy of mine. He says to use sandpaper and wd40 on the whole engine to scrape the rust away
Gunna check the cylinder walls and do the same. Buying sandpaper and scotchbrite pads now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom