1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rust is my worst enemy!!!

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by VT Fj-40 Owner, Aug 25, 2006.

1. VT Fj-40 Owner

VT Fj-40 Owner

I don't know about you guys but love a rust free and a clean landcruiser. However, i have lots of rust. So last night i was thinking about ways to resolve my problem and prevent it. I really would love to take off my body and paint my frame and axels with rustbullet and get new suspension that looks perfect and rebuild my engine so its like new, but there are two things that are in my way, i am no mechanic and i don't have an endless pit of money to pay someone to do it :crybaby:. Now this may be a terrible idea but i am thinking about painting the undercarriage of my car with rustbullet. I would skip the suspension and the brakes and the propeller shaft, but everything else i would paint over with RB. If this is an awful idea please tell me. I am also thinking about taking off both axels and painting them with the RB. But i need to make sure i am capable of doing so. Also i have one problem where rust has shown no mercy and rusted all the way through, do you have any suggestions?:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its that frame piece not the rocker panel.

Sorry for the piss poor pictures too.

Now for the inside of the landcruiser:
    I know that bondo is bad and it promotes rust.... but i decided to use it anyway for temporary measures until i learn how to weld. Anyways, as i was bondoing over a few holes in the tub i was thinking... again with rustbullet. That i could just paint over the bondo with RB and it will be fine or do you guys highly recommend ripping out the bondo and welding new steel over the holes. Here are some of the bondoed spots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    there some big ass spots for bondo, i know, but i did use the bondo fiberglass hair.... :-/

And yes i do know that i am making Rust Bullet sound like a god and it can fix anything, but i have used it on other things and it has worked great.

Thanks for your time and sorry if i wrote a book.

-John

2. Colorado Boy-74-FJ40

Colorado Boy-74-FJ40 I may grow older but I refuse to grow up!

You can't do a frame off and not spend a ton of money. Mine is relatively rust free and in great shape and it still sucks money out of me. Maybe you could look in to getting an aluminum tub instead of trying to resurrect your rust bucket.

3. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    my reccomendation would be to do it right, take the time. If it is not a DD what is your hurry? buy a little 110 welder on craigslist and learn how to weld. It is super easy with a mig and you will have it in no time. To do it properly that body needs to be taken down to bare metal all around, rust cut out and replaced with fresh metal. It makes no sense in my mind to spend all the time you are taking to tear it down and do a hack job on it. Do it right and be proud every time you look at it!

Noah

4. UNO_RACING

UNO_RACING

Wholly shizzel that is a lot of rust my friend. I agree with Colorado Boy. You're better off from an time and frustration standpoint to just replace the tub.

However, consider what your intentions are with the truck and how long you anticipate to keep it and then go from there.

If you plan on using it as an off roader for a couple of years, fix it to the best of your abilities becasue it should last for a few more years.

If you want to keep the truck and have it last another 30 years and want a respectable resale value, replace the tub.

5. VT Fj-40 Owner

VT Fj-40 Owner

Ok thanks, i am learning to weld this fall at my highschool, i have looked at a couple welders already, i will rip off the bondo as soon as i can and cut out the rust and put some new metal in. Thanks for the help.

6. Leaping Deer

Leaping Deer

Media:
    Albums:
    If its not your daily driver then do it right.

If it is your daily driver find an old POS cheap for a daily driver and do it right.

Many times half @ssed repairs often cause more issues down the road. How much of a budget are you working with? I like the suggestion of the welder and fill it with metal. I have a wire feed welder down in RI but don't have a ton of experience with it. If you want to take the trip down I will give you a hand trying to replace some panels.

Good luck
    :beer:

7. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

If you were at the Bond auto parts show in Essex Junction a few weeks ago you probably saw my cruiser. It was the red 79. Anyway, mine looked just as bad as yours (maybe worse actually) before it went under the knife 15 years ago. I've had it now for 6 years. The previous owner POR-15'd over the existing rust and put on the aluminum tub. 4 years ago I had to tear the truck down to the frame and do it all over again. The frame was a mess after I drove it one winter in the salt. And the POR was really tough coming off. I used the Eastwood rust encapsulator when I redid it. I even got fancy and skimcoated the pits in the frame with filler before topcoating it with chassis black. It's best to just do it right the first time. Sandblast the frame and axles before you paint them, and get yourself an aluminum tub. Even if you fix all that rust correctly, driving it in Vermont, especially in the winter will make it go south in a hurry. I don't take mine out in the winter any more, But I certainly could if I wanted to without worry.

8. VT Fj-40 Owner

VT Fj-40 Owner

well over the summer i bought this landcruiser. So i dont have too high of a budget but i do have enough to buy a new tub from that steel ebay store.... I am a softm. in highschool so yea, this is my first car and i'm trying to keep it from rusting anymore, i just dont want to be the reason why this cruiser fell apart from rust and died, if you know what i mean.

You say you live in RI? ^ my sister goes to a prep school down there at portsmouth.

9. Leaping Deer

Leaping Deer

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah I live in RI. North East and you sister should be in the south east. Not that its far, probably 40 minutes away at most. Does she go to Portsmouth Abby?

I didn't check to see what the half tubs are going for. Check out my build thread. I end up picking up a really nice tub or $1700. It was more than I wanted to spend but I am going to use it to wheel and probably won't drive it much in the winter. So I am taking my changes and may go aluminum in future years but just couldn't spend the $5600 they wanted for the whole tub and shipping.

10. VT Fj-40 Owner

VT Fj-40 Owner

yea thats the school,

i was just looking at tubs, and there pretty pricey. If i'm lucky i'll be able to get one by may. Is there anything i can do until i ahve the money?

11. Leaping Deer

Leaping Deer

Media:
    Albums:
    Bondo won't to much so welding in new metal is your best bet. Make sure your repairs are well thought out as you don't want to cost yourself more money in the future. I think there is a guy up in your area that makes steel tubs. They guys on the Yankee Toys list know more about it. Are you affiliated with any type of club? Are you planning on wheeling your Cruiser? If so check out Yankeetoys.org a good bunch of guys and a good local resource. Also if you are into camping and wheeling think about attending the Fall Gathering at the end of next month (there's more info on the website) and you could probably get a number of suggestions. There are a couple cruiser mechanics that normally attend too.

12. VT Fj-40 Owner

VT Fj-40 Owner

Thanks, I will pay them a visit.

13. Martin White

Martin White

Whatever you decide, the more you can do yourself, the more you'll learn and save. You can build some really useful skills doing things yourself. I wish I had a place to work on my truck, because it can actually be very enjoyable.

14. 1973Guppie

1973Guppie SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    just a thought, if you wanted a TEMPORARY fix until you have the time and budget to fix that rust you could do the following. I did the same way back when and it worked well to slow up the rust process until I had some time:

- pull off all that bondo down to bare metal
    - wire wheel the rust off as best as possible.
    - get some stuff called "rust mort", sold at most auto supply places, apply this to the metal and it will neutralize the rust.
    - Rinse areas where applied with a tri sodium phosphate mixture, available at home depot.
    - spray bomb with black rattle can paint.

This will at least stop the rust for the time being and buy you some time. Hope this helps some. Again, not saying this is the proper way but it will keep some of that rust from advancing even more.

Noah

15. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Long ago TLCA# 2231 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    a really good guy is south of you in pownal vt. he has alot of spare parts. Ha has a small buisness "poor wally's landcruiser emporium" Tyke moses at farmboy@sover.net tell him johnnyc sent ya ...he's very fair and does great fabricating.

16. 90 Weight

90 Weight

I too am just finishing up highschool, and I just got my hands on a rusted 78 FJ40. I am more than halfway through the restoration process and its going smoothly. From the front cowl forward its rust free, but everything behind it was pretty bad. Origionally I was going to patch the rear quarter panels and then replace the floor with plain steel. I got as far as ordering the quarter panels, and door sill's. Once I recieved them I realized it was over my head to properly install them. At this point I decided to buy a 3/4 aluminum tub from aqualu. Other than that, my frame, axles, and springs have been sandblasted and powdercoated. I have replaced all of the bushings, U bolts, Steering assembly, etc etc. The front cowel, hood, and everything from the firewall forward has been Media blasted (soda blasted) thus stripping it down to bear metal. I have purchased a crate 350 and allready have it set up to go in. New turbo 350 transmission etc. I HAVE kept my buget under 10K. Keeping in mind the interior, and painting also. Im not sure what your buget allows, but from what I have observed from others, and with my rig, its best to take your time and do it right. The way I look at it- All of the mechanical aspects of my rig are essentially bran new and as reliable as a new car, my frame is bullet proof from the sandblasting and powdercoating, the tub is aluminum so it wont rust, and with a fresh coat of paint itll be ready for the road as my daily driver and off road rig. Hope this helps. A

Also consider that if you cover it up now, its only gonna cost you more later to go back and fix it. You cant know what your dealing with until it all comes apart. Good luck.

Eli

17. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    ha man when doing repairs such as this.bonda will fall out so easy and as you know bondo is a rust magnet try fiberglass,its harder and just as easy to use.it comes in a can just like bondo,its fiberglass jelly.give it a try,it will last a little longer.bondo is really only supposed to be used to smooth over fiberglass and small dents and such.i just checked wallmart a couple of weeks ago for my buddy they had a 100 dollar welder.wirefeed non gas type.ive seen those in action its not bad with a little pratice.also try harbor freight ive heard good things about those welders as long as your not using it everyday.there are good deals out there just check around.the money you spend in bondo fiberglass and such you could buy a lcheapo welder.if ya need any advice at all drop me a line i can call ya.good luck man and have fun.i did not realize you were so young when we talked before:eek: .but its cool for somebody to start so young on these cruisers:D

18. cruiser88

cruiser88

Media:
    Albums:
    please dont get rid of the straight six.you will thank me later:D

19. Leaping Deer

Leaping Deer

Media:
    Albums:
    Good advise Eli, I too was considering going this route before I decided to pick up a good used steel tub. Do a lot of reading and you will notice that there are a lot of things you need to have lined up correctly or doors, hood, bib, fenders, ect won't fit right. Search around and you will find some good sites of people who have done this and how they go about it to keep things aligned.

You also want to note fiberglass can be dangerous and if sanding WEAR A PROPER MASK and not one of those Home Cheapo paper ones. You don't want to get those little glass fibers into your lungs! Still this option will be a pain to take off later

20. rabid

rabid

Poor Wally is the guy I was telling you about who does cruiser repair. Ask JohnnyC about how tough his tub is.

Do a search for him on this board under Tyke moses or poor wally's and you will find a ton of crap.

You can come look at my tub, and I can show you the pics of what he did. I am in Bristol. You can use my mig to patch stuff in for now if you need to. Definately get to the fall gathering if you can, great bunch of guys.

Let me know if you need help with anything. Glad to see a high school FJ40 owner.

By the way, cut off your rockers and cap it with angle iron. That will take care of the rocker :)

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">