Rust Bullet on roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
I have a white 97 Fzj80. I plan to paint it myself in the next year or so (and no, I'm not a professional painter, a novice at best). The roof has light surface rust that needs to be addressed now. I'm contemplating lightly sanding and applying white Rust Bullet White Shell. Has anyone done this? Is this a good idea? Bad idea? I'd appreciate any knowledgeable input.

Thanks! :popcorn:

Read the directions on painting over the rust bullet carefully. Many of those rust sealing paints want you to top coat while it's still tacky. Some don't recommend painting over after they have completely dried because your new paint will not stick well. Could make it hard to paint over down the road. Also make sure it's rated for UV exposure. I've had good luck with other rust sealing paints (POR-15 and Chassis Saver) but you need to follow the directions carefully.

For light rust another option may be sanding then apply a rust converter (normally clear), coat with a sealing primer and then paint with white gloss paint. At least if the white gloss didn't last it'd be easy to sand off when you are ready to paint for real.

If you are truly planning to re-paint including a full sand/body fill/prime, then doing a quick fix with the rust bullet will be fine, you will sand through it (and maybe more) soon. Fixing rust now (in almost any way) > waiting and doing something else.

Rust Bullet vapors are extremely toxic and shouldn't be used without a full hazmat suit and forced fresh air respirator. If you care about your health for the rest of your life (seriously) you won't get near that death paint. The company should be put out of business after they've been sued into bankruptcy. Really horrible company. What they're selling should be illegal.

Speaking from experience. Stay far far away from that poison.

Rust Bullet vapors are extremely toxic and shouldn't be used without a full hazmat suit and forced fresh air respirator. If you care about your health for the rest of your life (seriously) you won't get near that death paint. The company should be put out of business after they've been sued into bankruptcy. Really horrible company. What they're selling should be illegal.

Speaking from experience. Stay far far away from that poison.

Interesting. I've been using their product for several years, mainly chassis coatings... including a frame off 1974 Fj40 build... never had a problem. Don't recall vapors being any where near as pungent as PPG clear coat. Thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom