Rubicon Trail 2019 ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

YoYoHo

BJZ43 for Me !
SILVER Star
Threads
I am keen to do the Rubicon Trail in 2019 for the simple reason that I have heard about it for so many years and it has always been on my bucket list.

It is still very much at the planning stages at the moment but I thought I would start a thread and get some input from people who know way more than me ... ie everyone lol.

I think the first thing to do is work out what time of year is best to do it in, any feedback would be great. I see the trail is open all year round but I am guessing that the Snow you guys get up there may make it a little harder at some times.

Rig wise I will be in a 40 Series Cruiser most probably a 73 - 75 with a few mods and upgrades.

I have been wheeling since I was a young guy but this will be my first real wheeling trip in the USA .

Thanks in advance I look forward to running the trail and getting some great pictures and stories.

We need to know more about your rig - what mods?

You need at least 35's and lockers front and rear.
Also, don't go alone - do you have any buddies to go with?
Have you considered doing Rubithon? - great way to make a first trip.

Peter

Hi Peter, the rig will be fine and will have at least 35's and twin lockers. It is an FJ40 just not sure how far I will take its updates. Currently it is sitting in Storage while I finish off a few cars that are racing Baja , once they are gone it will get my full attention. Being I have no limitations in regards to machinery and skills I am sure she will be well trail ready before the trip.

I have no intention of doing it on my own and will make sure I have at least two other trucks with me. Not sure who yet that is why i am putting out some feelers to so if anyone else is interested. Ideally I will find some like minded and capable guys who want to do the trip and have kids about the same age as mine ( 11 yr Boy ) as it needs to be fun for him to and hanging with grumpy old men is never as much fund without other kids.

I did cor Rubithon but I don't think the dates are out yet

Besides it already has a full size tow rig and trailer so at least it will get home lol

IMG_4970.JPG

Sounds like you're all set. So, what else do you want to know?

The classic version is to camp at Loon Lake and and start from there, spend the first night at Buck Island Lake, the second night at Rubicon springs and then out to Lake Tahoe (where you probably dropped your tow rig and trailer). Lots of people spend 2 or 3 nights at Rubicon Springs.

However, there are other ways to run it. The one I described is the 'classic'.

There is no potable water, but lots of lake water, so bring a filter.

You kid will enjoy Rubicon springs. You can walk the first day faster than you can drive it, especially in a large group.

So Drop the Tow Vehicle at Lake Tahoe ... and then drive down Loon Lake sounds like a plan.

What time of year is the best time to do it ? There seems to be a few options and I have been looking at the various trail calender's in an attempt to find a time when there aren't any big groups or organised events running it but not much seems to be out for 2019 yet

Look at the Calendar (there is one) and avoid Rubithon, Jeepers Jamboree (both of them) and a couple of others. If you miss the major events, there really isn't a bad time to run it - as long as the winter has run unusually late and there's still snow. Rubithon runs in June and has only had to reschedule a few times. Marlin Roundup is at the end of Summer. It's high enough the the temperatures are usually nice.

My dad, daughter and I hit the Rubicon in my fj80 with 35’s and lockers this year in August.

We left from loon lake at 11am, arrived at buck island before 5pm. The swim felt incredible.

The second day we drove out to Lake Tahoe. That was a 6 hour day too, although we stopped and swam at Rubicon springs.

I used the winch 3 times.

We went on a Wednesday and Thursday and saw 5 groups of trucks. It was nice to not wait for any obstacles.

Ok cool, we were thinking the same thing in trying to do it on a week day to reduce crowds. Looking to get a place a Tahoe and base there for a week.

take spares, have your armor game on point, take another set of leafs and possibly a drive shaft, or be able to weld them up.
some lines like in the granite bowls look like it is a free for all, but there are new property owners and rules about which old routes are allowed, and which ones are closed.
pack out everything...yes..everything! no dumpsters anywhere along the trail to use.

usually i just use salt and pepper on my tri tip for the best flavors, and stuff an extra beer coozie in the glove box in case i lose one.
see, grillin and relaxin is the goal.

the loop from Tahoe side down to Ice house to get the rig afterwards is a few hours drive, summer always has Cal Trans work going on, plan for that. Pretty much no cell service once you start the trail. there is one rock that you'll get spotty connections, look for the sign on the tree.

if you did go during the Rubithon you'll get included with the huge raffle and wine tasting a great tri tip dinner and also helicopter flight insurance and the chance to meet another bunch of rigs set up close to yours and compare lines and swap stories and lies by the fire at night.

get a fire permit for any type of cooking and fire you want, but beware that many strict rules are always in place in the National Forest.

there are a few repeaters you can hit with 2M, so if you dont have a HAM callsign, it'd be good to get that done also.

Save a can for bacon grease with a snap lid.
Check your nuts...

tread lightly.

I let my 10 year old drive a bit last year. he loved hanging with the old farts, even got a lesson on pocket knives, which red wines go with brie cheese and how to fry an egg and tons of new words, good times for sure.

I would offer that this coming Rubithon may be an ideal trip for you. A mid week entry should find plenty of quiet with a few land cruiser groups smattered around and good company should anything unfortunate happen. I have a 12 yr old going and we do a separate raffle just for the kids, there is actually quite a bit to keep the kids busy. A fair amount of SoCal folks attend. Thurs, Fri theres a bit more activity. And the best part would be the guided exit up Caddy for your Sunday return to your tow rig. Makes for a good week and there is a certain comfort for yourself and family the event provides. (IMO) And imagine the plethera of spare parts should they become necessary!

Join us on the Rubithon for all the reasons @peesalot listed. You'll be in excellent company!!

What dates is it ?

It's usually around the 3rd weekend in June. They've not announced yet.

Tentatively June 26 through 30. Official announcement will be coming out soon.

We would be glad to have you. Keep your eyes open for the Official Rubithon 2019 threads coming soon.

Yeah ok I will see how we go, might work always good to have more winches around than not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom