Rubber Thermostat Housing Gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are no cork OEM thermostat gaskets.

None.

Have you thought about going to a Toyota dealership and buying the correct part? (Which happens to be 90430-40058 for your 2 bolt thermostat housing)

Thanks for your insight Onur, always appreciate it!

Agree with you 100%, I didn't think there was a cork OEM gasket - then a cork gasket showed up in the mail, invoice marked OEM......

I did go the dealership route, but I'll explain what happened
Called Cruiser Outfitters first because of my previous order that included the Aisin thermostat above. They could ship me a correct gasket Monday - but it would be a Wed/Thurs delivery at the earliest. So they sent it out. (turned out to be cork - who knew?)
As soon as I got of the phone with CO I called my local dealership, they didn't have the 90430-40058 gasket in stock and according to their "warehouse" there was only one available, and it was 72 hours to get it. I wasn't too confident that the "one" existed or would be there when they placed my order or would it show up in 3 days.

So I called SOR, they had a gasket in stock, (post #11 above) drove the 40 min round trip, and installed it as soon as I got home.

I've driven it about 25 miles so far, and all is well!

Hmmmm. I'm wondering if there was a TSB at some time explaining what's going on here.

Of course genuine Toyota parts sourced from a Toyota dealer should be the final arbiter, but something as simple as a few gaskets should be able to be copied at least by an OEM supplier, and maybe simple enough even for our Chinese copycats. I don't think suppliers are simply throwing some generic gaskets into the parts bag, but......................

2nd Update: The mail arrived with my Cruiser Outfitters gaskets.

They have a cork gasket for the top of the thermostat - CO Part # : RADOR40058 - invoice says OEM
Paper/Fiber gasket for the housing/hinge - CO Part # : RADH60020 - invoice says OEM

Picture below if of the gaskets again now with the cork (I installed the SOR rubber gasket pictured in the post above already)
From left to right
1. Original gasket I pulled out
2. Gasket that came in the box of the new thermostat - Aisan Part # THM-004 (thermostat part #)
3. Cork Gasket from CO - Part # RADOR40058

Again, the middle (#2) gasket is "almost" twice as thick and as the cork gasket.

In some ways this adds more confusion and more clarity, rubber vs cork discussion and why the 2 options, however, thinner gasket is correct vs thicker that may come with a new thermostat.. (and SOR gasket was $1.37 and CO was $5.50)

View attachment 2359527

View attachment 2359528
In the same boat here.

Removed a larger diameter upper thermostat housing rubber gasket. It fits the recess on the upper housing perfectly. The supposed correct Toyota replacement has the same ID but a narrower OD yet it's the same thickness.
Has any one else experienced any issues running the Toyota part #90430-43002 ?

C70C593E-68AD-494A-8155-70C741E597EE.jpeg
CB27EA0D-0A43-4B81-B2F3-1C37ECA7AA7B.png

Also, looking to buy a replacement lower thermostat housing. 2/79 build date, US Spec, with two ports for vacuum valves.

Contrary to postings on Mud. If you get a seized/snapped bolt - DO NOT use a center punch and hammer to tap the broken bolt.

Based on a the copious amounts of sealant and a welded shut thermostat relief valve... a shade tree mechanic was in here before, so I suspect there was already a hairline crack that I wasn't aware of...

Anyway, if any of you have a lower housing laying around please message me. - Thanks
590C3ADC-D1FB-44DD-A61D-AA71F64D947D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom