RTT: Extended vs Standard?

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by synapse, Jun 11, 2018.

Extended or Standard

Poll closed Jun 16, 2018.
  1. Extended

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Standard

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. synapse

synapse

Just curious as to what people chose if they had the option of the two. And why?

I'm in the market for a RTT and each one I'm considering have extended and standard versions and can't decide which I prefer.

2. synapse

synapse

anyone?

3. dubyahard

dubyahard SILVER Star

Media:
    We have the extended CVT Shasta. I'm in Oregon and I've been to NZ so we can agree we've experienced rain before. I only have experience with the CVT brand. Their extended is nice because the ladder is covered, even when you aren't using the annex. When you use the annex, the ladder is covered and concealed. Perfect for a pregnant spouse using the bucket multiple time a night.
    If you didn't have the extended, the access door is on the edge, so once you begin to exit the sleep area, you are exposed.
    Hope that helps. I checked and don't have any good pics.

McDowra and synapse like this.
  4. McDowra

McDowra

Media:
    Albums:
    Extended has privacy plus put a little buddy heater in the bottom for a nice toasty upper tent.

synapse likes this.
  5. POTATO LAUNCHER

POTATO LAUNCHER TLCA #6928

On the other end of this I prefer being able to see out from all sides. Also nice to have a breeze when the temps are up at night. No experience with the extended version personally.

synapse likes this.
  6. ducktapeguy

ducktapeguy

I have the extended (covered ladder). Main reason for getting it is because of the larger annex area, which give me the option of additional sleeping quarters downstairs when my kids are bigger. The annex area on the regular versions are only large enough to use as a changing room or sitting area. It takes a while to setup the annex however, so I've never bothered setting it up on a trip.

The extended overhang does add some additional time to setup, I'd say about an extra minute to setup and maybe two to take down because there's some extra fabric to deal with. Unfortunately because of the way it's designed you always need to set it up regardless if you want it or not. I imagine in high winds the extended overhang would catch more wind, but I've used mine in moderately windy conditions without a problem.

Since the door opening is always covered, it provides more privacy inside the tent and make the entrance area darker. That can be good or bad depending on what you like. At night I either hang a lantern or hook up some LED lights to illuminate it. Since the joint is hinged you can pull that extension up against the tent so it almost disappears, which is what I do during in the daytime when if I want more ventilation or sunlight.

Pros:
    Larger annex area
    Covered entrance and ladder if raining
    Larger shaded area under the tent for cooking or whatever. Almost acts like an awning
    More privacy

Cons:
    Longer setup time
    Entrance way is really dark at night
    Extra fabric when folded means it's a little tighter to close when you have a lot of stuff in the tent.
    Might cause trouble in high winds

synapse likes this.
  7. bgolf247

bgolf247

Media:
    I have extened and pretty much agree with above. not much more to add. Some times I don't feel like I need it, other times it is nice.

8. thegadgetguy

thegadgetguy

I have the ARB Simpson III which I believe would be considered extended, and the covered entryway is quite nice in the rain. I have never used the annex camping because setting it up always seems like more effort than it's worth by the time I get there. Living where it rains not infrequently, I would say it's worth it, but if I were in the American Southwest or something where it is hot and dry I would probably say the better views and breeze from the regular version would be more worthwhile.

POTATO LAUNCHER likes this.
  9. shadowsixniner

shadowsixniner

Extended all the way!! I had a Tepui Kukanum and traded it in on a CVT Shasta extended. The Extended covers the ladder plus most of them come with an annex that creates a nice second shelter/tent/private area.

10. NyNomad

NyNomad

depends on how tall you are (?)… i'm short, 5'6''. I have the standard smittybilt rtt

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.