RTH Please-- 2003 Land Cruiser 215k -Coolant spurt from rusty inlet transmission cooler tube -- Tranny won't engage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2003 Land Cruiser 215k on the clock. Just picked this up a few months ago and its been a project.

Ok, so I foolishly let a weeping coolant tube / hose connection fester into much worse. I started the car and went back into the house to grab something. When I came back out I saw the grill covered with red coolant spewage. Sure enough, a steady stream of coolant was spewing out where the inlet/top of the cooler hose is attached to the solid straight pipe-- I think this is part 32906 on the diagram.

I was in a pinch and tried to pushing the hose over the leak spurt just to get moving--- bad move in hindsight. I tried to pushing the hose over the leak spurt just to get moving. The spurting was reduced to a lesser leak. I felt like I could deal with the clean up later when I got back. Again, I was in a pinch and the truck was able to move off my driveway but had trouble moving after that but at that point, I was on the street. I was able to move slowly for about 1000 yards before the truck wouldn't move at all. The tranny wouldn't engage. Forward and reverse. Actually it would barely move-- I'm guessing that the quick leak put it into a sort of limp mode -- the slowest of slow. I then got a tow and trying to regroup here. Coolant is near full. I would say I lost less than 1/8 quart (and a pair of jeans!).

-- Trying to isolate the problem now.
Hoping to find out what was going on. I noticed the tube near the hose clamp was rusty and it seemed like it was gritty near the connection to the hose when I was trying the quick/temp fix of seating the hose to cover the leak portion of the tube. Maybe some rust got into the tube and is blocking the circulation of the coolant? Is this why wasn't the truck moving? Was it indeed just a limp mode or something else?

I want to replace some tubes but anyone who can give me advice about the next steps forward would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom