Builds ROTW: Ginericfj80's 1994 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No thanks on the Gold!

No bigger pictures of the bumper, it is temporary.

It's a little different from the last time I was at your place Eric.

Coming along nicely. :)

Butch

Beautiful rig Eric. I like all the stickers and the way the whole thing just rocks. Good work.
:cheers:

I had the pleasure of watching Eric's rig for the length of Steel Bender during CM this year (and portions of the Rim at night but not pics) and thought i'd add a few pics to this thread.
IMG_0919 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0928 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0942 (Medium).JPG

Ah! Good times!

Moab Rim at night was an adventure. I wonder if I wouldn't have lost a caliper bolt if my mind would have been able to handle the moonlit river messing with my mind. Not being able to see the edge was at times good and at other times very unnerving.

Since this started I've added a dent. Smashed a gas tank and bent a control arm. I've got another gas tank and I'm thinking of a dual tank system of some sort. I'm thinking a custom tank where the spare tire used to be. I keep staring at the front bumper and I believe I have a winning formula for a new bumper. I guess I'll just add to this thread as the rig progresses.

Oh I also have a new custom high clearance exhaust which isn't pictured. My broke off tailpipe reminded me of that.

Eric, love the truck and how you built it. very clean (minus the stickers) But I'm into the hood layout all the way.

Nice man, I was thinking about getting the same wheels but I was not sure how it would look, but you sold me on them.

Eric,

I think that when you saw all those 80s at Moab, the custom choices were few. Every day there's more and more stuff out there to make your Cruiser more unique. I think, from a practical perspective, that white is the best color. It's does not absorb as much heat and hides dust and scratches pretty well.

I saw the Norcal sticker on your hood. That's pretty cool.

Regards

Alvaro

Any chance of seeing the exhaust? I'm contemplating ways to push my Borla pipe up out of the way before the rocks do it for me.

alvarorb said:
Eric,

I think that when you saw all those 80s at Moab, the custom choices were few. Every day there's more and more stuff out there to make your Cruiser more unique. I think, from a practical perspective, that white is the best color. It's does not absorb as much heat and hides dust and scratches pretty well.

I saw the Norcal sticker on your hood. That's pretty cool.

Regards

Alvaro

I agree there are more and more choices. Also more and more 80s enter the wheeling world every year. With that is coming some diversity. I meant no disrespect to people who do the typical build with ARB front bullbar, Slee sliders, MTRs, etc... That is a heck of a rig equipped that way. And it is a proven receipe for an excellent daily driver/trail rig witout being too extreme. My goal with building my 80 the way it is was to be a little different than the pack but still meeting the same goals. Not that there was anything wrong with the pack. I just feel a need to be more of an individual that is all. Now the extreme rigs we are going to see some diversity as you can't go extreme with off the shelf parts from any company. The days of buggified 80s becoming more common is getting really close.

I really like the stickers on the hood, really unique and adds some diffrent flavor to it.

Eric, I like the personal touches of your rig. I will be in the process of building my own rear bumper and was wondering if you have any pictures of mounting?supporting points under the truck? I like what you have done. Any other help or points you could give me regarding your bumper would be of help.

Here are some more photos of the exhaust and rear bumper. Nor_Cal_Cruiser shoot me an email if this isn't enough and if you need further explanation.
bumperexhaust 001 (Small).jpg
bumperexhaust 002 (Small).jpg
bumperexhaust 003 (Small).jpg

more
bumperexhaust 005 (Small).jpg
bumperexhaust 006 (Small).jpg
bumperexhaust 007 (Small).jpg

and a few more
bumperexhaust 008 (Small).jpg
bumperexhaust 009 (Small).jpg
bumperexhaust 010 (Small).jpg

last one!
bumperexhaust 011 (Small).jpg

OK directly above is the Metal Tech Cat Guard for their sliders. Notice it has taken a few hits and is not deformed. I love how lava rock grooves steel and leaves sharp edges.

Above that is my homemade skid plate 1/4" steel attached using the stock 3 bolts and then I ran a piece of angle iron off the frame using factory bolt holes. The angle iron is welded to the 1/4" plate. Nothing fancy but very functional. It has some pretty good hits under its' belt too.

Muffler exiting the skidplate in front of the PS rear control arm mount. Crosses over the center of the axle up high. then out the center of the rear. A resonator pipe was added to tone down the sound. It still isn't perfect. I liked my 91 exhaust a lot better. I think a lot of it is the noise is relocated to the center of the vehicle and it resonates more. However, since I did this mod no rocks have penetrated my exhaust. This was an issue before.

Side mount of rear bumper.

Underside mount. Notice part of the rear crossmember was retained. 1/4" plate welded to the crossmember and then plates were welded in the inner tube of the bumper with nuts on them. I just noticed I'm missing a bolt in the plate mounts. I think I must have forgot to put them in after I reinstalled it. Also used triangle braces and used tow hook mounts for further support.

Top view of plate mounts to crossmember, crappy photo! Swingout and complete bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom