Roto Pax vs. Jerry Can Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at rear bumper and design. Speaking with installer, he suggested I consider a roto pax over jerry can. Good thing about jerry cans is that they are what we use in BSA and when the basket is not being used for carrying them, can carry a cooler or other box. Roto pax on the other hand have pluses as well, size, modular and seem more secure.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

I chose to get rotopax. Primarily because of the different carrying options. For me, having water and fuel was what I was after for my most every activity load.

But easily loading it up with 12 gal fuel just by switching out the pax for more range is nice icing.

Cost is a lot more the jerrys.

I chose the Roto Pax for ease of handling and ability to stack for added cap. In reality it's 6 to half dozen in my opinion.

I have the rotopax and have wondered if it's better to have Jerry cans due to heat and altitude variances. My RP swell and, if I'm not burping them, will result in the caps being stuck due to the pressure.

Edit: the swelling can also result in the RPs getting stuck underneath the mounting points and unable to turn the handles to release.

Do Jerry cans have this issue?

Otherwise I'm satisfied with the RP setup as I have more mounting options without a rear bumper. But that could change.

Last edited:
I can stack another 3 gal on each of these for a total of 12 gals.
RP.jpg

Good thing about jerry cans is that they are what we use in BSA and when the basket is not being used for carrying them, can carry a cooler or other box.

I vote Jerry cans for the reasons you already mentioned. I run harbor freight Jerry cans in a K9 roof rack holder, that setup works for me. I use an ezpour spout and caps with my cans.

Solid Base Cap Grey - EZ-POUR

HI-FLO Replacement Spout with Unleaded Reducer - EZ-POUR

I like the harbor freight and ezpour because they are easy to find. I’d run Scepter if there was a resonably priced source for them.

There is an intermediate option between rotopax and scepters. Fuelpax. They're shaped like rotopax and use the same mounts, but are constructed more like the scepters via heavy gauge blow molding.

For me, it just comes down to dimensions and where I'm putting the canister.

afnxFY7ofQQjt46O4J7ICadq64VrSrRdMfMrrMY0UWJKSq730BZky9jstGNBdqbuLkrcPYzPr-nZnLSet8PQkT9JelHHgRpy5dW1d8cGnpVz4_DBguZSi93kJDxZYZRTwdDhVrtXAq5frmr5F6zVchbdhdUwMweWjwf1lnl2U0aeIXOCJQmc0-hCjYBVmLs6LxC600UbKqzbc_G9gLy1M024NVFWk8_BC2WB3xrwu1GkBdvZJPimNot7SHe2Z0bu2K0-pK9oqenQ08MIfCJFVchflXVE0Z0zWxcL8dqDfRu1JIpbe4PCCpdCnXMUPSvajSx1swf-5LWfx6nBuv-PHGFfwcuSyOkL_izira8HIACVfuGjfDgkkPHavZFaUQiwmQBZovRW21bvDB3VAfiJfs8nFHGwqMWtTlTGhI2R5ct9brQRx93D2wv6JnNjvch_ArXqBb9UCtbm0UMZJYoSWOhMKSx3lcstHIF76BjmMoWxaEqBKLfl-4J4mIh0h9s9Od-HGHCpfwYajR-pSmFX6Hk7-QNGnVBS8iZGB1Z_GWbze1AKXyEgNVjdsdknwI1aZVy9q3zOboqBsxMTRE-t7X5AAkCuVyC5jtJ-DAs=w988-h741-no

There is an intermediate option between rotopax and scepters. Fuelpax. They're shaped like rotopax and use the same mounts, but are constructed more like the scepters via heavy gauge blow molding.

For me, it just comes down to dimensions and where I'm putting the canister.

afnxFY7ofQQjt46O4J7ICadq64VrSrRdMfMrrMY0UWJKSq730BZky9jstGNBdqbuLkrcPYzPr-nZnLSet8PQkT9JelHHgRpy5dW1d8cGnpVz4_DBguZSi93kJDxZYZRTwdDhVrtXAq5frmr5F6zVchbdhdUwMweWjwf1lnl2U0aeIXOCJQmc0-hCjYBVmLs6LxC600UbKqzbc_G9gLy1M024NVFWk8_BC2WB3xrwu1GkBdvZJPimNot7SHe2Z0bu2K0-pK9oqenQ08MIfCJFVchflXVE0Z0zWxcL8dqDfRu1JIpbe4PCCpdCnXMUPSvajSx1swf-5LWfx6nBuv-PHGFfwcuSyOkL_izira8HIACVfuGjfDgkkPHavZFaUQiwmQBZovRW21bvDB3VAfiJfs8nFHGwqMWtTlTGhI2R5ct9brQRx93D2wv6JnNjvch_ArXqBb9UCtbm0UMZJYoSWOhMKSx3lcstHIF76BjmMoWxaEqBKLfl-4J4mIh0h9s9Od-HGHCpfwYajR-pSmFX6Hk7-QNGnVBS8iZGB1Z_GWbze1AKXyEgNVjdsdknwI1aZVy9q3zOboqBsxMTRE-t7X5AAkCuVyC5jtJ-DAs=w988-h741-no
FuelPax are the same dimensions as Rotopax but only have a 1 year warranty not 10yrs like Rotopax and additionally they can't be stacked FYI

^Yup. All true. That's the advantage of the higher grade roto-molded construction. It's a premium product for sure, with higher cost and weight.

For me, I needed the larger capacity. I don't semi-permanently have my gas container on vehicle, exposed to the elements. So fuelpax made sense for my usage.

I believe Scepter has a 1 year warranty like the fuelpax? Though the fuelpax is likely a more rugged construction than the Scepter.

By just looking at the cap I can tell you the Scepter's construction is more 'rugged'.

I'm curious, tell me more.

The fuelpax uses an identical cap and spout to the rotopax.

One thing worth considering: noise.

I ran a jerry can in an AT bracket on my swingout down to Baja Sur and back in Feb-March. It rattled the entire damn way, and drove me insane. Swapped on two 2.5 gallon Rotopax as soon as I got back. They're silent.

RotoPax leaked gasoline riding on rooftop. It looks like I blew the gasket so gasoline leaked and discolored a small rooftop section. Granted going from Austin to Yellowstone there are elevation changes, but maybe rooftop isn’t a great place for an extra can...

3501100C-E781-4495-9518-2DE2F2D1EA24.jpeg

RotoPax leaked gasoline riding on rooftop. It looks like I blew the gasket so gasoline leaked and discolored a small rooftop section. Granted going from Austin to Yellowstone there are elevation changes, but maybe rooftop isn’t a great place for an extra can...

View attachment 2358671

Seems like something must have been a problem with the capping...because properly capped, there should be zero leak. Not even air or pressurized vapor. Air pressure leaks more easily than liquid, and mine were absolutely air tight even with massive elevation changes (like when I forgot to periodically equalize...went from sea level to over 13,000 feet...no leak). I would check that cap gasket or even just check for an iffy thread tightening. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom