Rooftop tents... what do you think?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw the hardshell model at the Pamona Off Road show a couple of years ago. They look really nice, not as susceptable to winds as the Hannibal and Overcamp. I talked to the Loftyshelters guy quite extensively, and was really close to buying one, but we purchased our house instead.

I also like the awning you can get that attaches to the side of the Hardshell model.

But, like others, I am weary about weight up top. And I don't want to trailer something. That opens up another can of worms to deal with.

Mike S...good luck. Maybe I'll be calling you in a year or two. ;)

Mike... Prices? Website?

I have wanted one for a while... It would be the perfect addition to my Trail Trailer. All dictated by $$$

Kurt - see my PM to you.

M

One thing about weight guys. Like Mike S. said, these type of tents are designed to be rugged and very durable. Unfortunately, this means using strong, heavy-duty materials that lead to additional weight. Yes, you could probably make a rooftop tent that was in the 75lb. range, but the materials needed to reach this would make it twice as expensive as the ones they have now. They can't be lighter *and* cheaper.

A few years ago my best friend and I drove 14 hours to the Fall Gathering in New England, most of it in driving rain. When we got to the campsite around midnight, it was pouring buckets. We sat in the Cruiser, watching fellow Cruiserheads bailing water out of tents and bungee-cording additional tarps to try to keep the water out. We figured out the plan, counted to ten, ran out. I unstrapped the cover and pulled it off, he took the heavy-duty tarp that I had previously folded over the tent and spread it next to the trailer. Together we flipped the tent over, secured the ladder over the tarp, then unzipped the tent and dove in (we already had pillows, blankets and clothes in there). Took less than two minutes, and while we got pretty wet, the tent itself was bone-dry. I slept like a log, woke up the next AM nice and dry, sorrounded by some pretty waterlogged Cruiserheads. It wasn't the first or the last time that I thought the investment worth it....

One last thing. Peter Sadtler is right, when it's really windy, the tent can be loud, because the higher location and heavier materials offer more resistance to the wind. I noticed that for the first time at the Lone Star Roundup about a month ago, it's the first time it's bothered me. But looking out the window, I saw floor tents that were also flapping around.

I plan to purchase an EeziAwnin the not-too-distant future.
I live and wheel in AZ. It's got 2 kinds of terrain (for the most part) sand and rock.
Finding a good campsite is easy. Finding a good place to set up a tent, not so much.
Plus, we have critters that can debilitate or even kill us. And plants that hurt lots, too. :)
Getting everything but the chairs and campfire up off the ground would make camping far more enjoyable for both of us.

We currently have a 4 person self errecting tent, 2 season at best. It takes up alot of room in whichever rig it gets put in. And it takes up alot of room in our 1BR apartment.

Price is the main reason we haven't bought one yet. Trying to keep from putting anything on the cards. Want to buy a house in a year or so. :)

I just don't understand where all the weight and cost comes from. My very dry and very quick to setup backpacking tent only weighs 5lbs and cost $300. Granted my tent isn't designed to be mounted to the top of a truck, but then again it is engineered to only weigh 5lbs.

Can someone enlighten me on what makes these things cost b/w 700 and 1500 bones? And where does the weight come from?

Ary

I can only speak for Jay's and Derek's but the weight is in the super heavy duty canvas they are made from. It's very similar to the canvas expedition tents you stay in in Africa. The canvas weave is so thick that rain doesn't even phase it. I know the other Derek(dclee) sets up a backpacking tent on top of his roof rack-that's the poor man's solution for sure, but it works. Nylon tents while light in weight do not do well with medium to long term UV exposure, but well cared for canvas lasts a long time even in full sun.

I was thinking of a night I spent inside my 80 in Panamint valley. The wind was blowing 60-70 mph all night due to a huge winter storm blasting off the Pacific Ocean.. It was enough to constantly shake the 80 on it's suspension. I was wondering how that big sail on the roof would hold up in that? Every one of the ground tents that night got completely blown out and were down on the ground in the morning.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
I just don't understand where all the weight and cost comes from. My very dry and very quick to setup backpacking tent only weighs 5lbs and cost $300. Granted my tent isn't designed to be mounted to the top of a truck, but then again it is engineered to only weigh 5lbs.

Can someone enlighten me on what makes these things cost b/w 700 and 1500 bones? And where does the weight come from?

Ary

This is not a backpacking tent mounted on a sheet of plywood. The bases are fiberglass foam sandwich construction, with very sturdy U bolt type mounts in a steel channel so that the tent can be optimally positioned and very securely attached to the truck. They are supplied with fully adjustable, zip fastened vents and doors that are independently screened with very fine but durable screening - also zip adjustable. They are constructed of the best water resistant, breathable material that can be had. In order to offer even greater comfort, the internal aluminum structure is pocketed in insulated tent fabric so that condensation will not form and drip on the occupants. The tents are supplied with rugged, folding alloy ladders, thick foam mattress - even pillows. They allow bedding to be stored inside the tent while driving, and are totally waterproof. They set up in less than two minutes. They will last for 20 years or more.

So the answer is that this is not a 5 lb backpack tent.

In an age where we have become accustomed cheap, China made disposable equipment, there are a lot of people who are still looking for quality. These are the people who buy these tents. When I compare this investment in comfort to the amount of money we spend on our Cruisers - it's not much really, about the cost of a roof rack and good driving lights, or a good set of off road tires.

Andrew

When I lived in Boulder, CO the overpass at the Diagonal was just being constructed. HUGE cast concrete beams had been set on top of the overpass abutments. The wind came up that night, AND BLEW THEM OFF. I cannot say how much these things weighed, but they were very heavy and about 40' long.

Stunning.

M

Hey you roof top sleepers...isn't it bit precarious trying to get down/up the ladder at 3:00AM, half asleep, when nature cslls?

er that's "calls"...

I've been using a hard shell roof top tent since 1995. Called a "Top Bunk" made by High Gear who is now defunked.
Roof tops are the best for expedition trips and I don't think I could do without one. Quick setup, quick pack up, comfortable.
We used ours on a 15,000 mile trip from here to the Artic Ocean and it was the bomb. Stop, pop, and sleep. We continue to use it frequently even after 10 years it's holding up.
Have used it in driving rains and horrible gusty wind situations in Utah.
Could go on for ever about the advantages. One good one, your above the bears.
Draw backs: Pissing, lightning, storing, putting on and off, hogs the roof from other stuff, low limbs.
Price is not an issue if you plan to use the roof tops regularly over many years.

devo

Mike S,

Good luck with the new business. Sounds like you have done your homework, and picked one of the premier products to sell.

SS

eshelbyk said:
I bought mine because I'm often out in the Oregon boonies and kept finding myself looking for a potential campsite either just before sunset or after dark. Exploration has no time tables. I don't like location dictating my choice to spend the night. I've also found incredible campspots which are impractical for tents.

Those are the factors I used to arrive at purchasing. I'd advise any potential buyer to realistically plan on using it often (10-30 times a year?) to get good use out of it. It's an expensive accessory otherwise.

Kind of a downside, and I get around it be going it alone often, is that if you have others along, you still likely need to find campsites for them if they don't also have a roof-top setup.

That is the best argument I have heard yet for the practicality of one of these units. Finding a good camp site is not always the easiest. but it makes sense that you can find a good "site" anywhere with one these units.

Rezarf <><

Mike S said:
They are constructed of the best water resistant, breathable material that can be had.
can you please provide a link to this material? my fear with these tents as i live where it is humid and buggy as hell, is that they will create a steam room on a hot muggy night.

[edit] having said that, can you provide a link and cost for the Overland Standard? this is the correct size for 2 people and a dog right?

also, any creative ways to get a dog up to the rooftop? do i clip her in a harness and hoist her up?????
http://www.ruffwear.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.16/it.A/id.799/.f

she would flip if we left her in the truck...

Last edited:
guess I'll echo the apparent consensus here:
- a very good desirable idea but priced too high for me...

Cruiserdrew said:
The one feature I would like to see is to cut the weight in half and maintain the same durability. I'm not sure if that could be done or not.

On the question of weight - - there are two things.

1. A surprising amount of the weight is in the thick, closed cell foam mattress. This adds from 30 to 40+ lbs. to the total weight. The mattress is removeable, so for warm weather camping a good inflatable air bed could be substituted for the foam. For cold weather the foam is really important for comfort and good circulation while sleeping. This is a really good approach for getting the weight down for wheelin' trips. A 110 lb. tent could be a 80 lb. tent with a different mattress.

2. AutoHome is working on a lighter weight prototype using advanced materials. I looked at this model when I was at the plant in Italy. Very cool. But it remains to to be seen whether this tent will be offered to the market any time soon. It will doubtless cost a bit more due to higher materials cost.

A stack of rooftop tent sites I've found:

http://www.oasis-tents.com/

http://www.safaritrailers.com/index.cfm?action=catalog&catID=2

http://www.4by4connection.com/hannibal.html

http://www.4wdworld.com.au/products/rooftoptents/

http://www.4x4wire.com/news/oasisII04/

http://www.offroadacademy.com/gear.php

http://www.baum.com.au/cars/autostan.htm

http://parts.grade.de/eeazi/index.asp

www.car-top-tent.com

And there's plenty more out there. The least expensive tent I've found is called the Mombasa Around $600. It was at one point carried by Cabella's but I believe there was a problem with importing them and am unsure of whether or not they ever actually delivered any of them.

Last edited:
I have been using one of the Columbus style rooftop tents by AutoHome for over a year now (purchased through Lofty Shelters nearby me in Oakland). I am totally sold on the rooftop tent concept. It is much cooler for desert camping to be up off the ground, you can camp with your rig full of stuff, and you get nice views. I purchased this one because I had spent some time in a friends Hannibal Zulu prototype, but i could not get one of those in the US then. (still pretty hard). While I really like the rooftop tent and it has so far done pretty well, I like my friends Zulu better.

I found the Zulu is made of better materials and it has several features I really wish mine had. You can easily remove all the tent and matress bits and use it as a cargo carrier. This is an awesome feature. This would also allow you to replace any of these 'soft' components easily. The Zulu has a nice awning on the rear window I really like, and a vinyl bag for the ladder. The Zulu also has a nice central shock strap that makes folding down a little simpler. Its colors are also nicer (my Auto home fabric is TEAL?). The price however is about $2300US and I cant find one in stock closer than British Columbia. (this may be the dealership to get...!)

The AutoHome however has several more sizes and options available. The Columbus clamshell style I really like (which is what the Zulu has as well) as you can put a hard roof into the wind and sun direction and will allow me to slant some solar panels toward the sun when i mount those. The AutoHome started losing its metal trim very soon after I got it and I had to re-glue that, the pillows it came with started coming apart a few months ago. It also allowed some water in while driving through a day long rain storm on the leading edge in one corner. This was pretty annoying and got some bedding wet. Not so bueno for a $1700 tent. I also dont know what would happen if I got a big tear in it or the material stared breaking down... As near as I could tell replacing anything would be very difficult.

If I had to do it again I would hold out for the Zulu. And if I were you i would look into dealing those as the one dealer they have on the west coast in la does not seem to be stocking them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom