Roof rack weight limitations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I want to mount a roof top tent on our 100 using part of the factory rack. I'm comfortable in fabbing up something structural to mount it to and distribute the weight. But I'm not sure how much weight can the 6 factory post handle? The tents weight is around 120#, 25# +/- for the additional steel and another 400#-500# in people,dogs, and gear. Some of the weight will bare on the ladder that supports the one side once the tent is opened up. I'm not sure how much weight or how to figure it.

Any thoughts or experience?

Roof loading 200 kg or 440lbs (from Toyota OZ specs)

U.S. 2004 owner's manual states 150 pounds. Of course, that's dynamic. With the vehicle not moving, it should be higher. My rooftop tent weighs 100 pounds and I plan on mounting it up there with no worries.

In europe it's 100kg. Interesting.
Well I drive a 50kg tent on the roof, 40 litres of fuel, a jack,... Arround 120kg and have no problems.
But with a parked car the load on the roof can be at least 4 times higher (in our case - four people on the roof and the lightest has 50 kg ;) ).

IMG_5648.jpg

Regards
Samo

SamoL said:
Well I drive a 50kg tent on the roof, 40 litres of fuel, a jack,... Arround 120kg and have no problems.
But with a parked car the load on the roof can be at least 4 times higher (in our case - four people on the roof and the lightest has 50 kg ;) ).

IMG_5648.jpg

Regards
Samo

Great info - Just what I wanted to hear:)
In the picture it almost looks like you are sitting on the factory rack? What are you using for a rack and mounting system.

LandCruiserPhil said:
Great info - Just what I wanted to hear:)
In the picture it almost looks like you are sitting on the factory rack? What are you using for a rack and mounting system.

A custom made steel/aluminium rack. This is the only way if you want to have a light rack.
Decide what you want on your roof and how you would like it to be positioned. Then take it to somebody who makes roof racks ;)
The rack that carries all seen on the picture weights only about 15kg.

Regards
Samo

The weak link on the factory racks are the CROSS bars, not the main support bars... The cross bars can fail, even under minimal ( factory rating) loads, if the cargo is not evenly spread out on top...

But.. The main supports will take a LOT more weight before they would come close to breaking/failing.

Personally, I`ve loaded well over 350 pounds on the stock rack without issue, but it was the cross bars that made me nervous and appeared to be ready to break during heavy off roading and/or at high speeds. :eek:

There is a lot of feedback in another thread ( i think it was titled "roof-top tents something-something") in the equipment section ..

Good luck ! :)

What cross bars? I've noticed that main bars are different - some cruisers have them mounted only on two points (in the US). In Europe we only have main bars mounted on three points each.

To tell the truth - I've had one broken screw on the main bar, but without any drama. The hard part was getting it out from the foot that carries the main bar, as it is made of aluminium.

Regards
Samo

SamoL said:
What cross bars? I've noticed that main bars are different - some cruisers have them mounted only on two points (in the US). In Europe we only have main bars mounted on three points each.

Three points each on my U.S.-spec 2004 truck.

I build my own using extruded 2"X1" aluminum main rail and four piece of DOM 1.125X0.065 thick wall crossbar.

I have loaded it with 12 pcs of 2"X12"X12' wet pressure treated lumber. The rack are fine but the handling are a bit scarry with that much weight on top.
123 006sm.JPG

Last edited:
Augie said:
I build my own using extruded 2"X1" aluminum main rail and four piece of DOM 1.125X0.065 thick wall crossbar.
attachment.php

I have loaded it with 12 pcs of 2"X12"X12' wet pressure treated lumber. The rack are fine but the handling are a bit scarry with that much weight on top.

Augie, Very nicely done!
What did you use for a mount on the main rail to the roof?
Do you have anymore detailed pic's you can share?:)

Let me know what else you need to see and I would be happy to get a better picture. I use 1/4" thick black UHMW between the bracket and roof surface. The end of the extrusion are just capped with 1/8 black UHMW using silicone caulk.

I use 1.125" just to make it compatible with all Yakima acessories.
123 008sm.JPG
123 009sm.JPG

Last edited:
calamaridog said:
Augie, did you make those brackets yourself?

I did build that myself using Mitter saw and a Drill Mill combination machine to make slots for the brackets. Aluminum are pretty easy to cut. I don't even need to use different blade for the mitter saw.

Its 865 with airbag insert.
It looks like I pur minimal pressure in that picture.

you ought to market those brackets. prolly git allot of buyers as 100's move from the mall parking lots to the dirt roads.

IMG_5648.jpg

Regards
Samo

Hey Samo.. where did you get that tent from....looks very handy and light weight...not too big and not too small....nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom