Roof rack suggestions...what size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also have the BA-Outfitter's rack. Love the rack. Got the full length 4" height one. I am trying to lower it using some of the short Bulldog clamps. The full metal expanded flooring is a must and gives hundreds of tie down spot.

The main reason for the rack is to not take up all the dog's space :)

Pictures in link.

Mark

Exiled, where did you buy your roof rack? I like the curved metal tubing on the front end of your rack. The lights look very good inside it.

How much are these "High Quality and High Load" racks shipped to your houses?

When you think about it, and as you probably know, the shipping price for such big items makes a huge difference in the realistic cost of the rack.

:beer:

I had a very bad experience with Con-Ferr. Bought their full-length rack and within 6 to 8 months the "powder coated" steel was rusting in several places, even though it hadn't even been used, scraped, or even touched except to install it. Ran to another guy who had one and said the same thing happened to his. Maybe a bad batch? I dunno, but it turned me off from them. Also, they are heavy. But they do (or did) have one in the 4'6" width, which I think is just perfect--fits flush to the roof edges and doesn't hang over like a 5 footer does...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

I have run a Con-Ferr rack for years. It is a full length for a FJ40, 6in sides, one piece. When I sold my 40 I moved it to my FJ55, when I sold that it went to the FJ60 with shorter mounting legs. I think it is 5X5 1/2 ft or something. It is a little wider then my top but just as wide as the lower part of the body. Looks decent up there.

The rack has been tough and taken a beating from pinion tree branches and other crap. The mounts have been tough too.

I would like do design my own full length rack sometime, I have some ideas on what I want to cut down weight a little bit. I think the most important features are good places to get a tie down attached, and a good flat floor...

Jason

beaufort-fj60 said:
you got another pic showing that whole cruiser?

here's mine, BA outfitters built it

Only this :princess: shot of the old girl parked. This was the last time the rack was on the truck, I'd just finished restoring it after running it straight for about 6 years. It's an INTI (or I guess was, now it's an INTI Plus) rack from Venezuela, they used to be unobtanium but now Alvaro Rodriguez from the Norcal Wagons is importing them (I don't know any details).

It's very light, very well designed, but the finish was OK, a couple of years ago I replaced all the original hardware on mine with stainless steel and powdercoated the steel superstructure and the aluminum sides, plus added a few features (sand ladder mounts, antenna mount, relocated the front light brackets, added a rear-mounted custom aluminum storage box - see second picture).

It's a great rack but it shaved a couple of MPG off the already atrocious mileage I was getting with the old engine, so I took it off and stored it. Now that I'm going to run a diesel, I might break it out again, not because I need it, but because it's cool (that's right, I'm an unrepentant poseur)! :)

Cheers!
full rack.jpg
rack detail 1.jpg
rack detail 2.jpg

Now THAT is one super duty roof rack that'll bring the mpg to single digits per gallon. Mine is about one better...lol

sweet setup exiled,

By the looks of your shovel, i would guess you live in the land of no rust.

beaufort-fj60 said:
sweet setup exiled,

By the looks of your shovel, i would guess you live in the land of no rust.

Actually, I live in the land of the occasional cheap spray can! :)

Ole Ex sure has one rightious cruiser doesnt he!

Personally I like thems Hannibal racks. Im a gettin one fer me HZJ.

TB

picture.JPG

HZJ60 Guy said:
Ole Ex sure has one rightious cruiser doesnt he!

Personally I like thems Hannibal racks. Im a gettin one fer me HZJ.

TB

picture.JPG

how do you keep everything in the Hannibal rack if you smash on the brakes?

Remember, anything up on your rack should be properly tied DOWN!

It isnt the front of the rack that keeps things in place, its that everythings tied down that does!

I'm using a custom rack that my brother built for me. It's not as heavy duty as Exiled's rack, but it does the job. Since I'm still trying to build up my cruiser on limited funds, it's more for looks right now over function, but it can hold up very well.
roof rack rear 1.jpg
roof rack side 1.jpg

I'd be nervous about loading that rack up and hitting a bump-- seems you could dent the roof pretty easily. You might consider adding some padding to the underside of the rack to help avoid that.

On the Hannibal-- even with stuff properly tied down, it could shift forward, no? I'd rather see a front bar there. It's just safer.

Whatever rack you get-- 4" towers will help snug the rack down closer to the roof- but keep an eye on it. You probably want at least an inch of clearance if you are loading it up with anything heavy.

I'd be nervous about loading that rack up and hitting a bump-- seems you could dent the roof pretty easily. You might consider adding some padding to the underside of the rack to help avoid that.

Actually, I don't really do any heavy loading up there. Right now it's more for looks. I need some better gutter mounts that are higher than the ones I have now. I had those laying around so I used them. I actually selling that rack and my brother is making another one with a different design. If anyone is interested in this rack or a custom built one, let me know. My brother does great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom