rock slider compatability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy! I've had my 100 series for just over 6 months now. Covid has put a damper on my adventure plans but I'm still loving the LC. The problem is my mother can't get in the front seat without help (the previous owner removed the running boards). While I love the look, the functionality is now limiting. So I've been looking at rock sliders, but there seem to be only a few good bolt-on options, and they're all nearly $1k once you factor in paint and shipping. My question is this: would 4runner or FJ Cruiser rock sliders fit? There are so many more options for those Toyotas, and the prices are much more reasonable. I am not able to do much metal work except for with basic tools/drills. Would love to hear your input and experiences with sliders designed for other frames. I am in Austin, TX.

Cheers!

Last edited:
No, 4Runner/FJ Cruiser/GX sliders won't work. They're way too short - like 5-6 inches too short. The cheapest slider option is to buy 70-inchers from Marlin Crawler (Rock Slider, 70-inch | Marlin Crawler, Inc.) for $320 and, since you don't have metal work experience, pay somebody $150-200 to weld them on for you, then rattle can them.

No, 4Runner/FJ Cruiser/GX sliders won't work. They're way too short - like 5-6 inches too short. The cheapest slider option is to buy 70-inchers from Marlin Crawler (Rock Slider, 70-inch | Marlin Crawler, Inc.) for $320 and, since you don't have metal work experience, pay somebody $150-200 to weld them on for you, then rattle can them.

The cheapest is trail gear isn't it? I think they have a 67" that's pretty close that's like $225 shipped from jegs

Edit:

$300 Trail Gear 120002-1KITK: Rock Slider and Mount Kit Universal 67" Length | JEGS

Is length the only issue? If they were to bolt up to the frame, but not extend all the way to the end of the rear, that'd be fine. I guess my real question is would I be able to bolt other Toyota bolt-on sliders to my LC. If length is only an issue for looks and off road protection reasons, I might be ok with that.

I have a stock set of running boards that you could have, problem is obviously getting them to you. Austin ain't that far, but it ain't that close either. Or just bite the bullet and get the White Knuckle sliders with the flat angle option and diamond plate. Passes the wife and kid test as a step. Will run 1k though.

Search DIY Sliders on this forum and you will see my write up on the Trail Gear kit. And yes, they make great steps......

I'm in Austin and while I don't have a set of running boards, I will be driving to Shreveport, south Arkansas, Little Rock, Fayetteville, Tulsa, and Dallas over the holidays. If anyone along that route wants to donates some then I'll have room to bring them back to Austin.

thanks for all the quick replies. I ended up contacting MetalTech and got a great deal on a Scratch & Dent set of powder coated sliders. A little more than I was hoping to spend but should be worth it and add value to the car. Cheers!

thanks for all the quick replies. I ended up contacting MetalTech and got a great deal on a Scratch & Dent set of powder coated sliders. A little more than I was hoping to spend but should be worth it and add value to the car. Cheers!

I've got the MetalTech on mine and they are great. Just enough there to act as a step for kids and wife yet protect against rocks (tested). Install was super easy too, let me know if you need a hand. I'm on the south side of Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom