Rhino Rack or Frontrunner (GX460) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I still find myself drawn to the Rhino Rack with the backbone system simply from an aesthetics stand point. I like how it sits lower to the roof line. I am not sure how detrimental the support bars running front to rear would actually be for securing my loads, but other than some Pelican cases and possibly a Rotopax for water I am not sure what all I would actually put up there. In theory, having the bars runs front to rear would provide a better slip stream than your traditional crossbars and the rounded leading edge would help with aerodynamics slightly as well as sound, which is probably why owners don't report as much noise with the Pioneer Platform. The Eezi-Awn K9 racks are designed the same way as well.

u0gD63b.jpg

Couple of questions - how secure is the rack from being stolen? Do you think it would accept wide crossbars for wider loads? Thanks

Couple of questions - how secure is the rack from being stolen? Do you think it would accept wide crossbars for wider loads? Thanks

Just as secure as any of the others I would assume. If given enough time and patience any of these racks could be removed with the right tools by someone with sticky fingers. With the Rhino and K9 rack you can use Thule and Yakima risers and cross bars in conjunction with the rack.

*edit-The Rhino shows to come with anti-theft tabs. I am not sure what they are or how they work or how effective they are but a deterrent is enough to keep honest people honest.

Last edited:
Still very torn here, I can get the BackBone Rhino with the 84" platform delivered for $1220 or the FrontRunenr with the 77" platform for $1190 delivered. More rack and a lower profile with the Rhino but no cross bars and less accessories and crossover of other make accessories, or more readily available accessories, crossbars, and an included wind deflector with the FrontRunner but sits up higher and is shorter by 7". Decisions, decisions.

I think you hit all of the discussion points so far. I went through the same thing and my RR Pioneer was just delivered for my 100 series LC. My two deciding factors were that I don't like the lip on the sides of the Front Runner and I prefer the greater surface area of the Pioneer. I'll post some pictures once it's finally mounted.

Still very torn here, I can get the BackBone Rhino with the 84" platform delivered for $1220 or the FrontRunenr with the 77" platform for $1190 delivered. More rack and a lower profile with the Rhino but no cross bars and less accessories and crossover of other make accessories, or more readily available accessories, crossbars, and an included wind deflector with the FrontRunner but sits up higher and is shorter by 7". Decisions, decisions.
Honestly was hesitant to go this route for my needs (canoe hauling, maybe future rtt?), but I am digging the functionality and look of the rhino

Honestly was hesitant to go this route for my needs (canoe hauling, maybe future rtt?), but I am digging the functionality and look of the rhino

Agreed, I think it is a more aesthetically pleasing rack due to it's lower height and longer overall length.

question for you (and the forum) given your research. Have you considered The arb product? I’m thinking that mesh floor would be awesome - infinite tie down abilities. Looks like there is an adapter for the 150 series.

I have not. Looks a lot like a Baja Rack but in aluminum which is probably better for weight and corrosion resistance. Do they sell the side rail kits as well?

A similar option would be Gamiviti or Ironman. I've had Gobi's (very similar) in the past and I never found the mesh to be as ideal as an actual track system with anchored tie-downs, ymmv. The ARB excluded here because it's aluminum, but the steel mesh racks always rust.

I have not. Looks a lot like a Baja Rack but in aluminum which is probably better for weight and corrosion resistance. Do they sell the side rail kits as well?
I have that question into the vendor...

I got the Pioneer platform installed on my 100 last night. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with it. My only issue is specific to the 100 series fit kit and it definitely isn't a deal breaker. One of the selling points for me is that for the price of a fit kit ($125ish), I can move everything over to the GX if plans change.

So far there is zero wind noise. But I haven't been over 40mph. The slats have enough surface area that it's comfortable to sit on which is a necessity as my kids like getting up there whenever possible. There's a plethora of accessories and add-ons for it. I picked up some of the C-Channel strips (run from side to side) so I can mount the Thule ski box or the Yakima Skyrise RTT. The plan is to mount the c-channel strips on the outer edges going front to back simulating a "flush rail" so they will be conveniently stored until I need them. In about 5 minutes, I can re position them to where I need them. I ended up with the RCL feet as it makes the rack sit closer to the truck. The RCH feet are the same but 15mm higher. I figured if this sits too close, I can just get the 15mm spacers they sell. This allows me to fine tune the height off of the truck to where I'm pleased with the appearance and still have access underneath it if needed. If you're comfortable drilling holes in aluminum, you can make new mounting holes in the bottom of the platform to adjust the fore / aft positioning to your liking. I had to do that with mine so I could open the rear hatch and not have the spoiler hit.

Sorry if that's a sporadic paragraph, I just wanted to give some quick points to why I went with the RR Pioneer.

3BFCD5DA-858B-46F5-8316-692552DE0BF7.jpeg
4CF7EC7D-1125-40B3-81C9-86A25C64B373.jpeg
AE597D18-DDDF-4ABA-BCE1-FC3B5FA50836.jpeg
6C3A74DF-03BE-4F7E-B81C-A818C2F142C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Just to keep the rack conversation interesting....

The Yakima Lock N'Load rack is looking promising... I'm testing their N size (84x54) and fits the GX well for dimension. There is a full modular set of accessories.

View attachment 2252414

View attachment 2252415

Yakima is working on a set of towers for the US market. Right now I'm running the Yakima Australia 3 hard point mount system (awesome!). If looking at that site, translate to Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 150 (3 bar). In this configuration 3 inches from roof to bottom of rack.

As I shift into spring, I fit on their Maxtrax holder and one set of top grip (paddle holder) for shovel. And yes, ski racks from a season that ended abruptly...

I'll configure in the next month to add the RTT, and some other accessories.

I just got the locknLoad K for behind my sunroof back on my 2010 GX. I used crossbar mounts as a stand in until I figured out which lower profile mounts to use. Can you give me the part numbers for your towers and mount points? I'd love to drop mine a bit lower and loose the factory rails/crossbars. Yakima wasn't much help which is why I mounted it to the factory rails for the time being.

Beau Johnson just posted a video on his Yakima LocknLoad rack build.

My towers & mounts can be seen on the Oz yakima site :
Use "2010 Toyota Land Cruiser 150 Series Prado (3 Bar) 5 Door SUV Nov 2009 - 2021" in dropdown for "fit my vehicle"

+ LockNLoad Fixed Point Kit 3 Bar Toyota Prado 150, LC200 x 1
SKU: 8000311

+ LockNLoad Fixed Point & Track Legs mk2 (Pack of 6) x 1
SKU: 9800306

Yakima US is working on a solution that is due to launch this Fall.

Where are you able to get these racks at these prices? Please PM if possible

Where are you able to get these racks at these prices? Please PM if possible
You can no longer get the FrontRunner for that price, they have since had a price increase. I'll PM you in regards to the Rhino Rack.

Gamiviti looks excellent!
website drove me nuts looking for a price. never saw it.

Gamiviti looks excellent!
website drove me nuts looking for a price. never saw it.
All in, delivered to my door about $1300, that is towers, rack, all the hardware and powder coating, cut out for the sun roof and wind deflector, light bar mounts etc. It is the Expo ++
If you email or call Tim he will email you a breakdown of all the options.

To bring finality to my original post and this thread I'll go ahead and post here that I ordered the Rhino Rack with the Backbone system in the end. It took nearly three months to get the Backbone side rails which was annoying given that they were sold to me as in stock, but it was worth the wait and I couldn't be happier.

MV4jWkL.jpg

3H23STX.jpg

aoaMZwy.jpg

vmT8z6d.jpg

kuFriiH.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom