Rhino 4x4 bumper group buy is happening (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes please... All 14 pages...

Sorry for being terse, but I’m sure you can understand that the amount of questions Jason and I have answered here, and privately has been sizable. The thread exists, as does the search function, so that future bumper seekers can use the information here to make their decisions without having to ask again and again. So hopefully you can understand that when yet another person asks a question that has already been answered, and we aren’t providing a service here, and our time is limited, that it’s a little frustrating. 14 pages of comments, sure, but that might take 15 minutes to read, whereas I alone have spent hours answering things for this one thread. I hope that provides some context for you.

Sorry for being terse, but I’m sure you can understand that the amount of questions Jason and I have answered here, and privately has been sizable. The thread exists, as does the search function, so that future bumper seekers can use the information here to make their decisions without having to ask again and again. So hopefully you can understand that when yet another person asks a question that has already been answered, and we aren’t providing a service here, and our time is limited, that it’s a little frustrating. 14 pages of comments, sure, but that might take 15 minutes to read, whereas I alone have spent hours answering things for this one thread. I hope that provides some context for you.

Thanks for the time you have spent on making this group buy a success and answering mine and many others questions. Although I missed this one this thread has been a fantastic resource for many including myself.

You've done a GREAT JOB with this Group Buy! Everything was clear as can be. I love my bumper, especially after matching the RHINO Fog lights with the Beamtech 9005 and H11 LED Lights... WOW...

No apologies necessary! I was being lazy. Casually thinking about doing the Dissent Offroad bumper though I like the look of the Rhino. Doing a quick cost comparison. And my prior reading of the thread had left me confused by all of the various cost factors. But I found enough I was I was looking for.

And though I did not participate, I applaud all of the work you all did to make this happen for folks. Great work.

Had my new bumper covered with Xpel PPF. Cost was $500 in my area. Turned out taking them longer than anticipated but they honored the quote. Needed to remove grill and lift the headlights to get film under the rubber strip (had to remove that and re-install). Otherwise they would have had to start loosening bolts on bumper which would not have been good. I suggested maybe it would have been better to wrap prior to installation of the bumper but they said it's easier to stretch the film and maneuver while mounted/stationary.

BTW - got to try the winch out. Had a pine tree leaning almost sideways about to crash on neighbors fence. Pulled it back upright with winch and got the chainsaw on it.

I am wondering approximately how long the bumper install took those brave enough to attempt? Thanks!
I did mine over 2 weekends (realized the hardware they ship isn’t stainless so waited for an Amazon order of misc stainless replacement hardware to arrive), but it probably took 5-6 hours total. I went very slowly though. As always, it would take half as much time the second time around.

I am wondering approximately how long the bumper install took those brave enough to attempt? Thanks!

We started at 9:30 to remove the OEM one. While my Mechanic and assistant were doing that, I started to sort the Rhino's pieces and reviewing the Manual. We got stuck at around 10:30 or so with the instructions. They weren't too clear. Go from 0-60 in 1 page. We used both the 08 instructions and the post face-lift instructions to no avail. Luckily, I blasted a note for HELP on this forum and got a call from a fellow mudder with guidance. Helped tremendously.

All and all - if the instructions were spot on, it would have been a 5 hour install or less from start to finish.

I wrestled with the install docs for my LC 2018. As @lasalsa stated, it comes with one set of instructions and another set for post face lift install. We even got a third set in .PDF from Rhino in Australia. I suspect they were written in Argentina (some is in Spanish) and not by Rhino in Australia. I found in some cases the non face lift version was more appropriate for me.... I did call Ben at Rhino when I got stuck on one step. He was helpful. I also was missing a few special bolts for the skid plates and Rhino replaced. I got a surprise package from FedEx on Friday from Rhino Australia with the bolts & screws and some Rhino 4x4 swag - hat, shirt, beer coozie, stickers etc. These guys offer great service and I know @Eric Sarjeant got them to replace a fog light under warranty.

It probably took me 2-3 late evenings in my cold garage with a propane heater. I originally mounted the bumper too close and tight. Ben pointed that out after I sent him photos. So, I had to go back and loosen everything up and adjust - that's the most important step IMO. You need to fit the "meaty" portion of a finger between the bumper and the quarter panel to allow for flex.

The step I got stuck on is below. The black & white install doc doesn't clearly show how these things get installed in the frame. They look like bats and you connect them with the long ~ 8 inch threaded rod. I made the mistake of dropping the wing in the frame a few times (passenger side) which is a PITA to retrieve. I can't imagine trying to retrieve out of the driver side frame because it's trickier to get to. I tied a string to it just in case. The pics show the hole in the front support bracket that connects to the frame (5 bolts plus the long rod). You need to put the rod through it and connect to the bat wing bolt inside the frame, it takes some patience.
IMG_7486.jpeg

IMG_7484.jpeg

IMG_7487.jpeg

IMG_7488.jpeg

As others say, if had to do it again could probably have completed in half the time. It's a solid bumper setup and design. One body shop owner was very impressed with the quality. Overall, I'm happy with the outcome and looking forward to completing my next project on this build.

Another question for the group please...I have had FedEx lose one bumper already. Second one sent, but I see no notifications after a scan in Sydney. Wondering if on the TNT website any of you who received their bumpers were able to see any tracking info once it for into the US, or did you see a scan in Sydney, v then it showed up at your door? Thanks

KCSIII,
I was given a tracking site that was thru FedEx and it had some vague information. I was able to see my shipment progress thru the different stages until it got to me. Not as real time as normal domestic stuff, but decent. I just checked back in the emails and I guess the site was from TNT. Anyway, I had numerous phone calls from FedEx folks getting my bumper thru customs so if you have your tracking number you might give them a call to see what is going on. The number I used is 1.844.321.3936

Good luck,
Robert

KCSIII,
I was given a tracking site that was thru FedEx and it had some vague information. I was able to see my shipment progress thru the different stages until it got to me. Not as real time as normal domestic stuff, but decent. I just checked back in the emails and I guess the site was from TNT. Anyway, I had numerous phone calls from FedEx folks getting my bumper thru customs so if you have your tracking number you might give them a call to see what is going on. The number I used is 1.844.321.3936

Good luck,
Robert
Same experience for me. I was impressed with how quick it arrived. I didn't even get a call, it was just sitting in my driveway as I was heading out the door to the airport. Times sure have changed. BTW - I have a FedEx personal account for shipping. I noticed a charge on my credit card for ~ $40. Called FedEx and we were able to figure it out after digging around. Turned out this was the US customs fee that FedEx automatically charged to my Fedex account (credit card on file) as not to delay the shipment. Something to be aware of. Good luck this time around.

KCSIII,

Good luck,
Robert
KCSIII,

Good luck,
Robert

Thank you

Will there be another group buy anytime soon?

Bump for feedback now that few folks run them.

Any issues with the gap between the bumper and the fender being so small? ARB and others make you leave a big gap to accommodate bumper movement. Curious Rhino does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom