Returning From Japan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after 25 years living in Japan I have decided to make the move back to the island sometime in the fall. I have been thinking of taking my '93 80 Series with me and just wanted to get any of your thoughts on it. I've just started looking at shipping via a container but haven't gotten quotes or feasibility yet. Any help on details for a move such as this would be greatly appreciated. Pic of my truck..

DSC_0458_HDR'ed.jpeg

Bring it over with you...and let me ship some stuff over in the same container!

If you have a lot of other things to bring with you, I think a 40ft container is about $4000 USD. You could also ship RoRo but there is a bit of risk with that. Mark at Brave Auto always seems willing to help people out, so if you reach out to him, maybe he can offer you some shipping suggestions.

But seriously, let me know if you are doing a container and have extra space :D I'd be interested.

Thanks for your reply. As we move forward I will let you know.

That's a nice rig... Make sure to bring all the stuff you have and need for your nice cruiser back. Would be nice if you can help me on some stuff too in case. :)

I sense an international business opportunity here. Looks like Monster Cruiser is on the scent

Ah...if only I were that ambitious. I have a ton of resources here and I'm back and forth with my business quite a bit. Something to keep in mind I guess.
I also have a nice little JB23 Jimny my wife wants to take but there are zero parts for it outside Japan. I'd imagine it would be the only one in Canada. Have any of you seen one running around?
As it stands now I'm still waiting for approximate quotes for a container with the 80 and some personal stuff.

I'm a little worried about the protocol of getting the vehicle registered with the Motor Vehicle department.

I'm a little worried about the protocol of getting the vehicle registered with the Motor Vehicle department.

If it meets basic mechanical fitness it should pass without a problem. So long as you can easily repair any problems
they might identify. You would need to change the headlights lens to LH drive reflection. Certainly someone here
can identify a local business in Vancouver that can help you out, I'd think you would have to wait until the vehicle is
landed before some of the corrections can be carried out. BTW, I had parts stolen out of a truck sitting in the customs
dock in Vancouver. It's not that secure an area as it's open to public people come through to inspect and claim
their stuff. So make sure you keep an accurate list and take pics of everything.

Rob Millson in Chemainus can help you with any work needed to pass inspection and he may know of a shop local that can do the inspection as well.

It's not overly complicated, just need to follow the rules. Beauty truck BTW.

If it meets basic mechanical fitness it should pass without a problem. So long as you can easily repair any problems
they might identify. You would need to change the headlights lens to LH drive reflection. Certainly someone here
can identify a local business in Vancouver that can help you out, I'd think you would have to wait until the vehicle is
landed before some of the corrections can be carried out. BTW, I had parts stolen out of a truck sitting in the customs
dock in Vancouver. It's not that secure an area as it's open to public people come through to inspect and claim
their stuff. So make sure you keep an accurate list and take pics of everything.
Many thanks. It's running like a top and goes through shaken every year here. I can do the majority of the work myself on the truck if need be. I will document everything.

Rob Millson in Chemainus can help you with any work needed to pass inspection and he may know of a shop local that can do the inspection as well.

It's not overly complicated, just need to follow the rules. Beauty truck BTW.

That's great news. I will be settling in Cobble Hill so perfect location. Is Rob online or is there a means of getting a hold of him? Cheers

All those lightbars would not pass inspection, unless they had covers.
The roof bar is no longer there and the others come off easily as I have to remove all that stuff for yearly Shaken here. I was wondering if I should put the front and rear stock bumpers back on for landing and just put the aftermarket units in the container. Thoughts? Also, not sure of the height with 35's (new Toyo Open Country) getting inside the container. Of course, rack will be removed.

Don't worry, be happy :)...

I don't think you have to worry about it fitting in a container. Mine came over from Japan in a container with 33's and a roof rack on. The container will either be 8' or 10' tall. Likely 10'. If you ship by container, you also don't need to be worried about anything going missing from your truck. It's much more secure than shipping RoRo. RoRo lots of people have access to your vehicle while it's waiting in Japan to be shipped out, while it's on the voyage over and when it's waiting to get picked up on this side.

As others have said, you also don't have to worry about getting it on the road here. If your Shaken is up to date, you'll probably only have to get E code or DOT marked headlights to get it to pass inspection over here.

I'd bet for the most part you could get parts for the Jimny here. Maybe not body panels, but you could likely track down other general maintenance stuff.

Don't worry, be happy :)...

I don't think you have to worry about it fitting in a container. Mine came over from Japan in a container with 33's and a roof rack on. The container will either be 8' or 10' tall. Likely 10'. If you ship by container, you also don't need to be worried about anything going missing from your truck. It's much more secure than shipping RoRo. RoRo lots of people have access to your vehicle while it's waiting in Japan to be shipped out, while it's on the voyage over and when it's waiting to get picked up on this side.

As others have said, you also don't have to worry about getting it on the road here. If your Shaken is up to date, you'll probably only have to get E code or DOT marked headlights to get it to pass inspection over here.

I'd bet for the most part you could get parts for the Jimny here. Maybe not body panels, but you could likely track down other general maintenance stuff.

Hey thank you MonsterCruiser. We have pretty much decided on going the container route. Jimny would be fun to have...quite a novelty there I'm sure and fun to keep around as a project. My wife's JB23... I did all the work on it other than paint..

Hey thank you MonsterCruiser. We have pretty much decided on going the container route. Jimny would be fun to have...quite a novelty there I'm sure and fun to keep around as a project. My wife's JB23... I did all the work on it other than paint..

View attachment 1900615
That's definitely get some attention over here :)

Only difficulty getting it on the road here will be finding appropriate headlights to put in to get it to pass inspection. However, other people seem to find ways around it. Lots of Skylines running around that have passed inspection somehow...

That's definitely get some attention over here :)

Only difficulty getting it on the road here will be finding appropriate headlights to put in to get it to pass inspection. However, other people seem to find ways around it. Lots of Skylines running around that have passed inspection somehow...
Thank you...I'll see what I can find out about all that.

Found the pic I was looking for...here's what my truck looked like in the container coming over:

Y3xnri_e0J6WI1nagw1DCpD_nhfQ9IzFeFIsa60Fg33JTUP1pRXSlZG6AURbdJKlsTx3i0F3eCkTiup_8z1vJsaP9Vt7SLMgGIwy80le8c7N0yR8wjKdIXdhU4IbSvGkJbVpvfZijdKfba7yETNqBjfe5BvOaBVgL3PPpDptShYzlZ5vsC7iENRIYjqaZhuIxR0u7ZwUDlRd1CuBKIMRtv4bHmfZFwCQ-EMTblEcyLdgdLoC_3ziTfmU1HiFQLH7nuBrQdsdSS3Ali5z6fqmdXEznGki1uq4FVkCVASOy5e6xKunT8M5g-f_lgQUpotjaRqL2qBygMWQuCSQuOGOCvOkzlFQL98xFlAxJcCHVx_vdGW-cZHwXk5UkectpO51LkTwgafTx0ZO-MBm7cnBPPuYbspOLamRlu0WUuF96YB4vC7vc3jjpE23uDZ6qJjrRzxyqbNS0KP0Laz2Ll6k8lK6FROv8WPIu8ovk7YHiMesevbOEt7sYcA9guyA4hIPON-9Tr4bN4SKCFUVz_AVPr_4ASHLO9RHu8CGrO_BeebtfkXujIlbMWs4Xl6pEV5CsMhbaP1xki9j8xWxbXlGxW7cnjjhLRIkKK3iI_B2DRjqElfeV9xc6JfOUdkeIeXLsgezGN70xrxNelb19lxsurzlPki9rko=w448-h336-no

40' x 10' container. Behind my truck is an E34 wagon (lifted up) and underneath is a '96 Mustang. Under my truck afterwards was a SWB Pajero.

I've seen the little K trucks stacked in there like that but not the bigger vehicles.

That's great news. I will be settling in Cobble Hill so perfect location. Is Rob online or is there a means of getting a hold of him? Cheers
Hi there, Rob Millson here, as Rob S said it’s fairly straight forward getting your rig through a provincial inspection and yours doesn’t look like it would need much. They’re mostly concerned with safety issues and as Cruiserpilot said you will have to do the LHD headlights to be compliant.
I have a small shop on my property in Chemainus and do repairs and restorations by appointment.
If I can help out you can PM me.
Thanks, Rob

PS, that Jimmny’s awesome!

Well, after 25 years living in Japan I have decided to make the move back to the island sometime in the fall. I have been thinking of taking my '93 80 Series with me and just wanted to get any of your thoughts on it. I've just started looking at shipping via a container but haven't gotten quotes or feasibility yet. Any help on details for a move such as this would be greatly appreciated. Pic of my truck..

View attachment 1899061
Just noticed in your sig the "Active vacation" option you have. I'm curious to see if it's the same curtains as I have on mine and do you have one of the many varied dealer installed camping kits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom