Resonator Chop Roll Call (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd like to see some pics or videos of those with resonator deletes.
IMO, the biggest eyesore on the entire 200 and the worst design behind the original starter motor.

I am looking into more permanent mods. I am very tempted to just chop it off and run high tucked pipes. The resonator does serve a purpose of canceling out some sound waves (mainly higher frequencies), but I wonder how much you can really tell inside a vehicle going down the road. Worst comes to worst, if you really missed the quiet sound, I don't see why you couldn't just weld it back on if it was so necessary.

@Markuson
@benc
@grinchy

I would love to see a video of what the exhaust sounds like from any of you.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some pics or videos of those with resonator deletes.
IMO, the biggest eyesore on the entire 200 and the worst design behind the original starter motor.

I am past the point of wondering whether I will keep my 200 and am looking into more permanent mods. I am very tempted to just chop it off and run high tucked pipes. The resonator does serve a purpose of canceling out some sound waves (mainly higher frequencies), but I wonder how much you can really tell inside a vehicle going down the road. Worst comes to worst, if you really missed the quiet sound, I don't see why you couldn't just weld it back on if it was so necessary.

@Markuson
@benc
@grinchy

I would love to see a video of what the exhaust sounds like from any of you.

Thanks very much.

I don’t have a “before” video to compare to...so an “after” video won’t do much to help you audibly compare. But rest assured...it is NOT loud by comparison. Maybe a WEE bit “growlier” on idle if standing right behind it after startup...maybe a tiny bit meaner when full-throttle-downshifting for a pass on the highway (which only sounds like a nice V8...but I can sincerely promise you that it is a very mild change, and certainly not anything that will catch people’s attention or bother the neighbors.

Personally I think it sounds better, if anything...and for the life of me, I don’t see the point of the resonator. Inside the cabin I don’t think you or your passengers will care either way.

So... LOP THAT SUCKER OFF & don’t look back! Pop in a straight pipe replacement (or tuck it up as I did)...but no worries!

**Here’s the reassuring thing to remember—

**It is just as easy to put the resonator BACK ON as it is to lop off! Either way it’s welding a tube in its place...or welding it back in if you change your mind! But you won’t. Promise.

PS. I’ll try to post photos tomorrow, although mine has a couple extra curves to tuck up & around my 24g tank. But most can simply replace the resonator with a single straight pipe...keeping the hangers in place. A welding shop can do it quickly for $40-60 or so.

Last edited:
I had mine removed and a straight pipe installed in its place. I can't tell a difference in sound and I have very good hearing.

I also drive my wife's unaltered LX570 occasionally and can't tell a difference in exhaust noise.

I want this mod done. It’s on my list. Please post some pics. Gory close-ups, please.

My resonator rattles and is pretty dented up at this point. I too would like to get rid of it.

Excuse the stupid question, but are there any repercussions regarding regulations (California)?

No impact with removal. Proceed!

I suggest having an exit strategy in place before chopping it; either a muffler man or skills to weld exhaust pipe, a 3” 90, and a tip you like.

Excuse the stupid question, but are there any repercussions regarding regulations (California)?

Nope. No change to emissions, and the noise factor is basically zilch.

There's a photo of mine in this thread: Builds - indycole's 2016 200 Series Build and Retrospective

I'd echo the point above about having a way to route the exhaust down and toward the side of the vehicle. Otherwise, I'd be concerned about the amount of heat radiating on the bumper. I know it was enough to melt some aftermarket combination lights on TonyP's bumper in Mexico.

IMHO its best to use the existing exhaust hanger from the OE resonator - its stout. Meaning cut right behind the front side of the resonator. No audible noise change what so ever.
looks way better to if you have a high clearance rear bumper. attached is before and after and then bottoms up shot for a better reveal.

before resonator chop.jpg

after resonator chop.jpg

hells revenge.jpg

Last edited:
weeeeeeeee!

Nice job fixing the picture

I’ll be chopping mine off when I get back in town and post some pics. My only decision is how far to route it toward the side. Having the exhaust out the back can get hot while loading/unloading.

Leave a couple inches for mud flap flutter if side exiting.

I've been considering chopping mine off as well. Is it easy to find a shop that welds stainless? It's my understanding the exhaust system is stainless, is that correct?

I chopped mine as almost my first mod 6 years ago... days after installing the bumper. You won't miss it at all. No change to sound.

Wow. Didn't realize how necessary this mod is. Driving around the hunting property this weekend and Resonator was scraping everything and we were taking it easy.

Big question, out the side or straight out the back?

Question for those of you that have changed your tailpipe. I see you all still run it mostly out the back for clearance issues. Is there any reason that I couldn't run it 90 degrees straight out the side of the truck below the bumper and behind the mudflap, like a pickup?

I realize this will impact clearance a little in that spot but I'm not doing any crazy wheeling and have stock bumpers. I'm having an issue with towing (long story) and I need my exhaust to go somewhere besides out the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom