Replacing wheel bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my wheel bearings and I'm wondering if I need to order any seals. I rebuilt the axel less then 10,000 and used the old bearings as they still looked ok but now hearing one and with 2,500 mile drive coming up I decided it needs to be replaced.

I need to replace my wheel bearings and I'm wondering if I need to order any seals. I rebuilt the axel less then 10,000 and used the old bearings as they still looked ok but now hearing one and with 2,500 mile drive coming up I decided it needs to be replaced.

Yes, you need the seal that sits in the spindle and holds the bearings in. I cannot see how you can get that out without ruining it.
And the gasket around the wheel cap (where you pull the outer snap ring to pull the spindle off), unless you can get that off without tearing it.
J

Yes, you need the seal that sits in the spindle and holds the bearings in. I cannot see how you can get that out without ruining it.
And the gasket around the wheel cap (where you pull the outer snap ring to pull the spindle off), unless you can get that off without tearing it.
J

Do you mean the drive flange gasket? I don't think the cap has a gasket...

Thanks guys I'll order the gaskets and get to it.

Hey everyone. Thought Id revive this thread instead of creating a new one. I'm about to replace my front wheel bearings. I damaged one of the front inner wheel bearings trying to remove the inner hub seal :bang: . So my questions are: Do I need to replace all the wheel bearings as one set? ( I probably will do this anyway for peace of mind, but haven't gotten prices on the bearings yet) Also, Should I replace the bearing races? This looks like it would be a pretty hard task requiring a shop press and such?? The races look fine too (nice and smooth and shiny). Thanks for anyone's help. I'm about to dive back into this project Tuesday provided the bearings aren't back ordered.

the races pop out of the hub fairly easily, no press or special machinery required. bearings do not have to been replaced in sets, but i would not mix bearing parts I.E old race with new bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom