Replacing motor mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, well I searched and have read nothing but horror stories. Just how hard is this job? My truck is running up to 300k miles. I’ve got the head off (blown head gasket) I’m trying to take care of as many ‘while I’m in theres’. Opinions?

0-12.jpeg

It's pretty straightforward.. jack one side at a time, old mount out, new one in. It is seriously that easy. As a precaution i removed my fan and shroud to protect the radiator but that is all there is to it.

Ok, well I searched and have read nothing but horror stories. Just how hard is this job? My truck is running up to 300k miles. I’ve got the head off (blown head gasket) I’m trying to take care of as many ‘while I’m in theres’. Opinions?

Opinions and experiences will vary. It kicked my A$$. I got it done, but it pretty much sent me back to the house with my tail tucked between my legs.

At 316K miles I really didn't have any choice. Driver's side mount was torn in two places.

Separating1.jpg
Separating2.jpg

Last edited:
If you've got the head off, now's the time. Exhaust is unhooked, fan shroud and fan are off.....YES!

Opinions and experiences will vary. It kicked my A$$. I got it done, but it pretty much sent me back to the house with my tail tucked between my legs.

At 316K miles I really didn't have any choice. Driver's side mount was torn in two places. Passenger side could stayed in. Never seen a passenger side one be damaged (yet).

View attachment 2359900View attachment 2359901
Were you feeling this as you drove? What made you look at it?

I have a thump that goes on occasionally and I'm wondering if it's related.

Were you feeling this as you drove? What made you look at it?

I have a thump that goes on occasionally and I'm wondering if it's related.

Vibration at idle that I hadn't had before and I happened to notice where the fan blade had contacted the shroud (at some point). No real damage....but clear evidence the two had made contact.

@Scrapedknuckles they can be wiggled out with the entire long block in the truck, it should be even easier with the head off. Your angle to the firewall will be much improved. At the point your at the transmission hitting the top of the tunnel is the only thing that should stop your upward movement.

I’m seeing more and more 80s with torn motor mounts these days, most of them are coming out in two pieces completely wasted. Since the head is off, just jack it up on the crank as high as you can. There’s not as much in the way right now so far less concern.

Well I finally got to this tonight. Pretty easy with a hoist. Chain around the crank pulley, lift nice and slow. I also loosened the transmission nuts. Glad I did this. Rubber was badly cracked and Im pretty sure the locating pin isn't supposed to be bent. Doh!

0-7.jpeg

0-3.jpeg

0-4.jpeg

0-5.jpeg

0.jpeg

mine were easy. it wasn't until i got them out that i found out that both sides were completely in two pieces. i also did the trans mount. took less than an hour id say.

mine were easy. it wasn't until i got them out that i found out that both sides were completely in two pieces. i also did the trans mount. took less than an hour id say.

I've wondered about the disparity (some say easy others have a difficult time) that seems to exist when changing out the motor mounts.

Since physically the engines (1FZ-FE) and the mounts are the same....I have to wonder if HOW the engine is lifted accounts for the differences.

Some folks lift the engine and do both sides at once. Others (myself included) did one side at a time. I had a devil of time getting mine in and out.

It might be worth our noting who has had trouble and how they lifted the engine. I won't say it's 'conventional' wisdom or advice, but much of what we read on the forum suggests lifting and replacing a single side at a time. I have to wonder if that is actually good advice or not.

I had an engine hoist and a variety of floor jacks, hydraulic jacks, trans lift, etc....at my disposal and could have used any combination. I used the engine hoist when doing mine (one side then the other) and it pretty much fought me the entire way.

I've wondered about the disparity (some say easy others have a difficult time) that seems to exist when changing out the motor mounts.

Since physically the engines (1FZ-FE) and the mounts are the same....I have to wonder if HOW the engine is lifted accounts for the differences.

Some folks lift the engine and do both sides at once. Others (myself included) did one side at a time. I had a devil of time getting mine in and out.

It might be worth our noting who has had trouble and how they lifted the engine. I won't say it's 'conventional' wisdom or advice, but much of what we read on the forum suggests lifting and replacing a single side at a time. I have to wonder if that is actually good advice or not.

I had an engine hoist and a variety of floor jacks, hydraulic jacks, trans lift, etc....at my disposal and could have used any combination. I used the engine hoist when doing mine (one side then the other) and it pretty much fought me the entire way.

i did both of mine at the same time. jacked it up from the bottom using a floor jack and a 2x4 on the oil pan. when i was done with that it was the same concept for the trans mount

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom