Replacement alternator (brand, output) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hamishpotter

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings All and happy new year,

I need a new alternator. 1996 FZJ80. What is best replacement brand (Denso, Bosch?), and options for high output if straightforward, and worthwhile.

-> I’ve been hunting with search, but most threads seem outdated or not quite clear (and I need to get back on the road : )

Thanks in advance and my apologies if I've overlooked the "FZJ80 alternator section"

J

Use an alternator from a 2003-2007 Tacoma / Sequoia. Stick with Denso.

27060-0F040 for 130A

27060-0F050 for 150A

Contact Photoman for the bracket needed for these alternators.

IMO Bosch makes great fuel pumps and ABS systems, but meh alternators.

Last edited:
I found a sweet brand new Bosch on Amazon for $140.

Thanks @offroadvegan - that's what I went with

And thank you @Kaninja , for some reason your post did not appear until just now on my phone despite being higher on the thread. I reached out to photoman to inquire about brackets and pulleys.

Last edited:
Use an alternator from a 2003-2007 Tacoma / Sequoia. Stick with Denso.

IMO Bosch makes great fuel pumps and ABS systems, but meh alternators.

I'm in the trade, if I had to rate the alternator options Bosch would get a 4 out of 10, their quality control has gone way down since they outsourced pretty much anything with their name on it to countries that don't even have the word quality in their vocabulary. I had been using their oil filters until recently, took one apart and was disgusted at the fabrication issues inside.

Denso are still in the 10 out of 10 scale for me, I have to replace Bosch alternators that are around 5 to 6 years old, Denso keep working way into the 15 -20 year zone, so incredibly reliable.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
80 series 110 amp - direct swap for older 80 amp. Only thing that needs changing is the tensioner bracket (because the higher cap alt is bigger).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom