Removal: 1HZ Water By-Pass Pipe on Block (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Will Van

GOLD Star
Threads
Anybody have some suggestions on how to remove this water by-pass pipe on my 1HZ block? It is completely corroded.

FB8-B7-FA1-2849-4-EF2-A586-B4-DC6517-FB9-D.jpg

I went through something similar with a very corroded water pipe for the ADCS cold start on the 1HDT.
Basically soak extensively with penetrating fluid for a few days, then I’d cut off the corroded part, weld on a some steel bar/all thread etc and make up a slide hammer to pull the part out. Bit hard to explain... but a large chunk of steel with a hole drilled through can be used with all thread welded to the hose pipe (depending how much clearance you’ve got...)

I went through something similar with a very corroded water pipe for the ADCS cold start on the 1HDT.
Basically soak extensively with penetrating fluid for a few days, then I’d cut off the corroded part, weld on a some steel bar/all thread etc and make up a slide hammer to pull the part out. Bit hard to explain... but a large chunk of steel with a hole drilled through can be used with all thread welded to the hose pipe (depending how much clearance you’ve got...)
I pulled the engine, so I have plenty of room. But no welder.

In that case lots of penetrating fluid (over a number of days). You can buy some freeze agent stuff (chill it down) and tap on the flange with a screw driver/hammer to try and break the corrosion.

some sort of slide hammer is your best bet, but getting a solid grip on it will be difficult.
You could try vice grips and turning it... but I don’t like your chances.

thing is don’t rush into it, you need to let the penetrative stuff do it’s work.

you could also buy a cheap welder? The heat will help crack the corrosion as well...

Alternatively are you getting the block machined? Whichever shop you take it to would be able to get that out...

Does the FSM show this?

Does the FSM show this?
Yes, it is illustrated in both the Cooling System and Engine sections of the 1HZ repair manual. But no instructions on how to service it.

22-A9-D8-F0-AB8-C-4-F66-AE14-200-BFDC9-E54-E.jpg

F9-E87790-F397-4-D9-E-87-B1-CD5878059-C8-A.jpg

I think I’m going to cut the 90 degree elbow off and try to use a slide hammer with internal jaws to pull it out.

It is soft metal, just used an old screw driver or chisel or punch. Knock that though the outlet and work it out. It may come out in pieces.

Cheers
Thank you, i'll try that if the slide hammer doesn't work.

Any suggestions for installing the new outlet?

Thank you, i'll try that if the slide hammer doesn't work.

Any suggestions for installing the new outlet?

Clean the outlet hole in the block well. Tap it in very gently using a fairly large brass punch going around the edge as you tap it in. I would tell you to use a drift but because of the offset kick up of the outlet a drift won’t work.

I put a little FIPG around them when I tap them in. Opinions may vary on that.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom