Reference: Early Split Transfercase Rebuild Parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Below is a link to a page documenting the parts that came in a kit for rebuilding an early split transfer case that I bought from Iron Pig Off Road (Thanks Cam). It indicated 8/80 - 11/85 on the box. I hope this info is helpful.

This page is IN PROGRESS. Please feel free to contact me at mark@woytovich.com with additions, corrections or clarifications. If someone wants to mark up the fiche images with the part numbers below that would be a GREAT THING. Let me know and I'll replace the images here with yours.

Early Split Transfer Case

Last edited:
I checked an H55 5 speed and a later 1985 H42 4 speed and found that the 2 gaskets that look almost the same are:

1 for mating TC to tansmission (the tan one)
1 that goes between the 5th gear housing on the H55 or the housing "spacer" on H42s

Initially I thought it was odd that the TC rebuild kit includes a gasket for the transmission but I guess since when you pull the TC off of the transmission you by definition separate the 5th gear/spacer housing they include that gasket - nice!

Last edited:
Added images from the FSM to help in identifying parts and their usage.

I would love for someone to step up to cross-reference the part numbers with the FSM image... anyone? If you give me the matches I'll mark up the web page...

Early Split Transfer Case

Very nice reference page, Mark... Wish it was around when I did mine!

Bookmarked!

Thanks!

Nice page.

But why would they include the tranny spacer gasket in an early splitcase rebuild? Early H42s don't have the spacer.

I believe the definition of "early" here is the 34mm idler... there are TCs with both spacer and non-spacer designs that had a 34mm idler. The 38mm idler came later and is not tied to the spacer issue.

I believe the definition of "early" here is the 34mm idler... there are TCs with both spacer and non-spacer designs that had a 34mm idler. The 38mm idler came later and is not tied to the spacer issue.

Gotcha - I figured since they appeared around the same time and your kit had the 34mm idler included it was for an earlier case (and assumed that it would not have the spacer on the tranny)

Good info thanks.

I made some updates to the reference web page linked in the first post... more coming soon.

Thanks again for all of the help provided by everyone here on mud.... I hope this reference in some way can help someone out there in cruiser-land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom