Recommendations please - dog proof watercraft (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, looking for something I can throw on the roof rack on the FJ80 to get out on the lake. Myself, the wife, and two vizslas (~55 lbs). Just want to do a little fishing. Looked at inflatable boats, canoes, etc. Don't have much storage space at home, so the smallest form factor that'll stand up to 8 paws and can be loaded and unloaded solo is what I'm after. Appreciate your recommendations.

Recommendation 1: buy a dog nail clipper...

Oh, and welcome to MUD!

Thats a tuff order, anything small enough to fit up there is IMO not stable with that load. A small alum boat would be cheap and durable, fit up top, I would maybe consider building some outriggers you could fix to boat that way the dogs could move around and it would be more enjoyable

A canoe is probably the best considering your wants. I’d recommend a larger one with more of a touring set up.

I have a mad River journey 167, it’s a great boat! Use it for overnight touring, trout fishing, water fowl, in lakes and light streams. Use it with paddles, trolling motor, outrigger,… I can load/unload it myself but is much easier with a helper. Store it on a block and tackle in my garage.

If you really want one easy to load and transport with one person We-no-nah boats are amazing, half the weight of mine but 3-4x the price.

1AF63271-1D5E-4635-8623-79D99F900551.jpeg

B7F5DD29-3510-441B-A071-C4EBAA0697B7.jpeg

Have you looked into SUPs?
They take up a less real estate in the garage are easier to fish from & you both could get one and have one dog on board with you. or tandem & tow your dogs.

Thank you all for the advice. Gonna dig into it now and do a little googling.

I think I may have found a solution.

Mariner™ 4 Inflatable Boat Set - 4 Person - https://intexcorp.com/products/sporting-goods/professional-series-boats/mariner-4-boat-set/

There's a hard bottom insert for the floor which should protect from claws. I guess the truck is getting them in and out of the boat without puncturing the sidewalls. Actually found a video on YT of a lady laying a towel or a mat over the side of the boat for the dogs to step on getting in.

Packs up small enough to throw in the back, and looks like you can attach a little trolling motor as well. Not the most robust solution, but the Internet seems to like it.

There is always the porta bote. It’s a little different experience than some boats, but they fold easily and fit on your roof rack without much trouble. After having used both, I would much prefer the porta bote over a canoe or inflatable. Lots more space than a canoe or average size raft as well. You can pick them up used pretty cheaply, just make sure the transom is in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom