Rear window and side mirrors heater switches? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 Toyota Land Cruiser owner. Swallowing my pride here and seeking advice because it certainly beats the alternative. I need to replace the continual bulb in both the rear window and side mirrors heater switches and cannot determine how to remove the switches. Do they pry out from the front like the seat heater switches or do I have to pull trim and head unit? Thank you, in advance.

Those switches do not pull out, they are just caps that push onto a circuit board that has tiny switches.

To access the bulbs you need to pull off the radio/climate control trim piece, disconnect the connectors, and remove the plastic cover over the lower circuit board. The general illumination bulbs (twist-out) can then be replaced. This thread has useful info & pics: 100 Series Button Repair How-To - A/C, Defrost, Recirc etc - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-button-repair-how-to-a-c-defrost-recirc-etc.1111051/

Thank you. I saw that thread, but did not see anything about how he got to them before he started repairing them. Have a great day.

Those switches do not pull out, they are just caps that push onto a circuit board that has tiny switches.

To access the bulbs you need to pull off the radio/climate control trim piece, disconnect the connectors, and remove the plastic cover over the lower circuit board. The general illumination bulbs (twist-out) can then be replaced. This thread has useful info & pics: 100 Series Button Repair How-To - A/C, Defrost, Recirc etc - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/100-series-button-repair-how-to-a-c-defrost-recirc-etc.1111051/
I unfortunately discovered that the rear window defrost and side view mirror defrost button backlight bulbs (that are burnt out on my 2001 LC) are soldered into the circuit board. Certainly not the normal "pull the old one and plug in new one" replacement. Aaaarrrggghhh!

SOLVED! I was mistaken. The bulbs can be replaced without soldering or desoldering. If you are careful, you can gently pry up the small brown rectangles off the circuit board, run the wire terminals from your new bulb through the two small holes in bottom of small rectangle and up the side grooves and then reset the small brown rectangle back on the prongs.

Throw up a couple pics of this awesome maneuver!

Don't have pics, but am going to take it apart again this weekend. Will post some pics then. Not satisfied with the 60 Amp bulbs. Two right side backlights do not appear as bright as the one on the left side backlight, but the one on the left side may appear brighter due to the larger center differential lock switch bulb glow nearby.

Don't have pics, but am going to take it apart again this weekend. Will post some pics then. Not satisfied with the 60 Amp bulbs. Two right side backlights do not appear as bright as the one on the left side backlight, but the one on the left side may appear brighter due to the larger center differential lock switch bulb glow nearby.
If you do this, go with the 80 Amp. I'm not satisfied with dimness of the 60 Amp and will switch out when the 80s arrive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom