Rear water by-pass question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay mudders,
Have any of you encountered a situation like the one pictured below? If so I have 2 questions. First does the entire bypass joint need to be replaced? If it does how difficult is the job? If not how do I fix it? I guess thats three questions:meh:
Cheers,
Scot
IMG_1429.jpg

Coolant Bypass Connectors?

Sounds like it can be replaced without removing intake manifold...There is a thread with pictures and pricing, I seem to remember the entire housing and gaskets being under 100 bones...

IMG_20181105_183243.jpg

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/need-ideas-on-where-to-look-for-a-slow-coolant-leak.1086796/#post-11873600 - Post #14, 15, 16.

More reading and pictures;

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/coolant-leak-from-metal-pipe-under-front-intake-manifold.857678/#post-9746778

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/mystery-fluid-water-from-transmission-bell-housing.1094605/#post-11940631

It appears they are different depending on years...

16356 JOINT, WATER BY-PASS, REAR
16356-50120 (08/2002 - 04/2005) 1
16356-50130 (05/2005 - ) 1
16356A GASKET(WATER BY-PASS JOINT, REAR)
16341-50020 2

Looked up your 99 LX as follows;

16356 JOINT, WATER BY-PASS, REAR
16356-50120 1
16356A GASKET(WATER BY-PASS JOINT, REAR)
16341-50020 2

Last edited:
Awesome guys, thanks for the info! Looks like I need to practice my search skills.

Keep us posted, I am going to buy this rear housing and gaskets to be prepared when my starter fails and the intake has to be removed. I will replace it as a preventative maintenance item.
I would be interested to know if the rear housing can be replaced without intake manifold removal.
From the other threads info it appears the steel tube is pressed into the aluminum housing and this is what starts to weep or leak. Sounds like it would be possible to remove the tube, coarsely sand it and the housing for some tooth and apply some JB weld or similar for a budget repair. Not my thing but sounds possible.

Yep. Be aware that VVT and Non VVT have different part numbers. I replaced mine without taking the manifold off but you have to be really good at solving puzzles because you have to turn the pipe 50 different ways to get it out. I'm exaggerating but if you are doing manifold gaskets and starter, it would be muuuuch easier to do it then. While you're at it, consider changing the gaskets in the front water bypass. Mine started leaking right before I noticed the rear bypass was leaking and ended up having to open it up twice. The gaskets are the same part # IIRC

I just replaced mine and bought it from McGeorgeToyota online parts center with gaskets and shipping for almost 98$. I had recently changed my starter and while putting the manifold back in I think I bent the pipe.

I tired to remove the bypass valve w/o removing the intake manifold but it is not an easy task. One bolt on the driver side is under the manifold and very hard to reach, I tried numerous sockets and also an angle socket but my bolt started to strip so I just got the intake manifold out and replaced it. I searched on the forum and somebody has done it but I could not, maybe you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom