Rear license light out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 2013 Lexus LX failed inspection because the rear license light is out (both of them). My mechanic (who is honest) says the lights cannot be replaced, the whole assembly has to be replaced at a cost of $300+. Anyone have experience replacing these lights without removing or replacing the whole assembly?

WTF... you need a new mechanic.

I swapped mine to LEDs. Very easy. Look in the Owner's Manual, it shows how to pop them out.

^ Thank you!

I don't know about the LX, but I did the same LED swap on my LC. I seem to recall that they are just 194 bulbs, readily available at any auto parts store. Removing the housings has a trick for removal. You have to push it in one direction before tilting it down.

I just googled this up:

I'll second the "new mechanic" recommendation. Either they are trying to rip you off, or they aren't mechanically inclined enough to be working on people's cars for money.

you can replace bulbs for a $1, with really nice LEDS for $10 (ex VLEDS DOT COM). You can as well buy full assembly that are LED. Saw some on Alibaba. I have bunch of those bulbs if you need them as replaced them all with LEDs in all my cars. Just send me your address will put them in the mail for you.

Last edited:
you can replace bulbs for a $1, with really nice LEDS for $10 (ex VLEDS DOT COM). You can as well buy full assembly that are LED. Saw some on Alibaba. I have bunch of those bulbs if you need them as replaced them all with LEDs in all my cars. Just send me your address will put them in the mail for you.

Can you tell me the LED bulb to get? It's weird that the 2016+ are all LEDs except those lights. I've been meaning to replace.

Note that if you do stay with incandescent 194 and 168 are the same format but different wattages. Best to put back whatever came out.

This difference is part of why bulb sockets and reflectors can sometimes show heat degradation.. because a 5w 168 bulb was put where a 3.7w 194 bulb goes. Also it'll match the exact brightness specified from the factory. Usually it's easy to read the number directly off the old bulb, but if not Find bulbs for your vehicle can be useful. Though it shows both 194 and 168 for the license plate bulbs..

If I'm reading this right, looks like you can use the 5w bulb. I replaced mine with 194 LED replacements.
1575946532218.png

Can you tell me the LED bulb to get? It's weird that the 2016+ are all LEDs except those lights. I've been meaning to replace.
Yes, I was disappointed as well. I have recently traded my 16 for 20 and it is LED now. Bulb is 194. You will need two. If you are buying LEDs replace those turn signals as well. I am fully LED now.

Thanks, for the license plate did you go with the $5 White End Fire LED 194 or the 10$ White High Power 360° 194?

Also, which turn signal? There's three different ones - VLEDS

Last edited:
Yes, I was disappointed as well. I have recently traded my 16 for 20 and it is LED now. Bulb is 194. You will need two. If you are buying LEDs replace those turn signals as well. I am fully LED now.

Is a resistor not required for turn signals on the LC? I had a buddy switch to led on his car and they hyper flash because it draws such little current

Benefit of the doubt... maybe your mechanic was distracted and thinking about a different bulb. Another thing with LEDs if you havent installed any before. Many if not all have polarity. If it doesnt work first time, turn the bulb 180 and put it back in.

I swapped mine (and the other cars in the garage), with these LED 168 bulbs:
AUXITO 194 LED Light Bulb 6000K White 168 2825 W5W T10 Wedge 24-SMD 3014 Chipsets LED Replacement Bulbs Error Free for Car Dome Map Door Courtesy License Plate Lights, Pack of 10

Plug and play. Super bright, crisp white. Mine didn't die or anything, I just wanted to get rid of the dim off white glow of the old bulbs. Really modernizes the whole truck and looks cool at night to have it pure white LED's all around.

While I was at it, I replaced my 921 backup lights with these 2400 lumen LED's:
AUXITO 921 912 LED Bulb Canbus Error Free 2400 Lumens with 2020 SMD for Backup Reverse Light 6500K Xenon White

Feels like I have headlights in the back now haha

This is great information - as usual. Thank you all.

My ‘13 came with LED license plate lights. The chances of both being burned out is slim IMHO. I’d bet on something came unplugged or possibly some corrosion at a connector.

You can test most LEDs and bulbs with a setup like this. I even used it to test the new motor I put in a lock actuator. 9VDC is enough for most 12VDC things. I have found one LED light that needed 12V, no less. Good way to see what color an LED is if you mess around with different colors and shades of white like I do.

Might be easier to just try a new bulb, but this setup comes in handy.

tester.jpg

So my 2013 Lexus LX failed inspection because the rear license light is out (both of them). My mechanic (who is honest) says the lights cannot be replaced, the whole assembly has to be replaced at a cost of $300+. Anyone have experience replacing these lights without removing or replacing the whole assembly?

Just received the exact same news from the mechanic who was doing a PPI for a prospective purchaser of my 2009 LX. Did you resolve your issue and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks!

Just received the exact same news from the mechanic who was doing a PPI for a prospective purchaser of my 2009 LX. Did you resolve your issue and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks!
Wow..you don’t even have to search..... read this thread and find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom