Rear Height Sensors after lift for GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried the search function and thought this might be a good thread for others dealing with this same topic (and it should help me too).
I put in the Dobinsons 3” lift on my 2017 luxury model and the shop took out the rear height sensors (they just thought they needed to be removed I guess).
So after searching for what is the best way to deal with this, I am asking for others that have dealt with this one to post up your experiences or suggestions.
I have a dash light on telling me to check the suspension and for the headlights leveling. I have not removed any fuses or the cpu. My thought after some research is to replace the sensors into the standard location. I am not sure on how to trick the sensor into seeing the right height so the headlights work correctly and how to make the dash indicators go away.

I have been having this issue ever since mine was lifted. I have had the flashing AFS light on my dash ever since.
I'm at a point where I don't even notice it now.
Albeit, I do want to fix it some day.
So, about my issue: Mine was not removed, but something happened to it when my guys bolted in the lift. I've tried several times to add/lengthen the connecting rod/turn-buckle, giggling it, coercing it, etc. but nothing. I think I may have to replace the sensor itself, but I believe that's a $300 plus expense, just for the part.

I noticed in the install guide for the coil conversion kit it recommends removing the fuses to the leveling system... Not sure if this has been verified, but sounds like it would disable the auto leveling headlights too

1586011076747.png

1586011177840.png

Last edited:
I noticed in the install guide for the coil conversion kit it recommends removing the fuses to the leveling system... Not sure if this has been verified, but sounds like it would disable the auto leveling headlights too

View attachment 2259983

View attachment 2259986
PLEASE let us know how this turns out!
Just an FYI, I always keep my headlights on "Auto" so when I turn my car on at night, my head lights still do the little dance, e.g. up, down thing.

This week, I am planning to reinstall my sensors with the extra washers to lower them. We will see if that alleviates anything. If not, I will try the fuse option. Hopefully others who have tried either method and successfully solved this will comment.

Nothing electrical should be removed aside from the AVS shocks. 460 is not the same as the 470 in this regards.

Take at look at this CL thread at around post #28

1.png

Last edited:
We remounted the sensors today using the washer trick. It took care of the check auto headlight leveling dash light, but there is still a warning light (exclamation in yellow triangle) and the message that says "check suspension".

So after further digging, the tech said he did not install the little air manifold that divides the air from the pump to the two airbags (and it apparently has a connector on it). I am assuming that will need to be reinstalled to help the other light go away...

oh well, more to come I guess. (at least the auto leveling headlights work)

When I lifted my 460 I left all sensors and air compressor alone. No lights or warning lights triggered. My headlights were aimed a little high so I’ve added washers just like if I was to trick the air bags. They seem to be better now but honestly I haven’t driven at night for a while now due to the stay at home order.

I still can’t find the “instructions” for the airbag trick. HELP please. Lol.

I had a hell of a time finding it too. This video shows where the sensors are at the 11min mark.
If I can recall correctly, you want to turn off your adaptive ride then put the height to normal and turn off the car. Then add the washers. The turn on and move the height control to low then high then normal. Hopefully someone can correct me on this.
Attached is a picture of the sensor on my 460. One on the passenger side and driver side just in front of the rear springs.
084FA73A-D42B-4CC4-8630-27C4C9815ECA.jpeg

Just came up with an idea:
Cross posted from here: How do you disable dash lights after removing air suspension/AHC? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/852114-how-do-you-disable-dash-lights-after-removing-air-suspension-ahc-5.html

Possibly starting an old thread. I am about to remove the bags and add coils. I was reading up on this and then started perusing the FSM, as one casually does on a Monday evening. So I noticed that there is a Height Control ON/OFF switch in the Combination Switch Assembly (always there wired but only sometimes present as an actual switch). I looked into the wiring diagram and the "switch" is present. If the switch is not physically there, it would be an "open" and present to the ECU as ON. Is dealing with this as "easy" (since taking apart the center consul is so easy) as typing pin 16 to pin 9 (ground) making the switch look "closed" and in the OFF position? Another option would be to get a combo switch assembly with the physical switch and then press it to OFF.

This "fix" would stop the air compressor from turning on if/when the load on the rear axle was enough to move the sensors and cause us not to have to add in the washer spacers. (Also, not removing/disconnecting anything as per this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/201...error.1101964/)

connector.PNG

Combo Switch.PNG

Just came up with an idea:
Cross posted from here: How do you disable dash lights after removing air suspension/AHC? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/852114-how-do-you-disable-dash-lights-after-removing-air-suspension-ahc-5.html

Possibly starting an old thread. I am about to remove the bags and add coils. I was reading up on this and then started perusing the FSM, as one casually does on a Monday evening. So I noticed that there is a Height Control ON/OFF switch in the Combination Switch Assembly (always there wired but only sometimes present as an actual switch). I looked into the wiring diagram and the "switch" is present. If the switch is not physically there, it would be an "open" and present to the ECU as ON. Is dealing with this as "easy" (since taking apart the center consul is so easy) as typing pin 16 to pin 9 (ground) making the switch look "closed" and in the OFF position? Another option would be to get a combo switch assembly with the physical switch and then press it to OFF.

This "fix" would stop the air compressor from turning on if/when the load on the rear axle was enough to move the sensors and cause us not to have to add in the washer spacers. (Also, not removing/disconnecting anything as per this thread https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/201...error.1101964/)

View attachment 2671177

View attachment 2671178
I think that since that switch is a momentary switch and the ECU overrides it above 18mph (turns itself back on for safety just like egress/low mode), that probably won't work.

@Acrad found a post on GXOR that detailed how to make a resistor to trick the compressor into thinking it's still there which I plan on trying but not sure if it will still trigger a air sus error when I'm loaded up and signaling the air compressor doesn't result in a raised axle. I'm guessing that I'll still get an error if I sag too much even if I add washers and bypass the compressor trigger with the resistor. @Acrad hooked me up with a parts list so I'll give it a shot and report back here.

@Haigami how many washers did you add to help with the headlights?

Thread revival! I just lifted my '18 GX this past weekend. I'd like to put washers under the brackets to adjust the headlights. Do I need to add spacers to both the driver side and passenger side brackets? Or just one of the brackets?

Thread revival! I just lifted my '18 GX this past weekend. I'd like to put washers under the brackets to adjust the headlights. Do I need to add spacers to both the driver side and passenger side brackets? Or just one of the brackets?
You shouldn't have to do anything to your headlights. Try them out a week or so driving at night, especially on dark roads with little traffic and see if you're out running your lights.

You shouldn't have to do anything to your headlights. Try them out a week or so driving at night, especially on dark roads with little traffic and see if you're out running your lights.
I haven't driven at night yet, but after putting a 2.5" lift + 33's I'd think my headlights are now aimed too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom