Rear Hatch Weatherstripping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.whiteriverlawncare.com
I am looking for the weatherstripping on the top edge of the rear hatch. it is part # 68282 in this parts breakdown. it connects with some sort of glue and retainer clips across the strip (68281A )

The last time I checked with Cruiser Dan, this was about $90 for the one piece. To me it seems like a pretty specific design and the generic stuff at O'Reilly just wont work.

Does anyone have any ideas where to get an OEM replacement strip? right now, when it rains, it basically pour right into the cargo area.

As a side note, I mucked up the weather stripping taking off the rear hatch. If you do this, take the entire hinge off, from under the headliner. This way, the weatherstripping is untouched and the hinge comes off with the hatch. Much easier to do this way.

anyway, hope someone can help source this. Otherwise, i guess toyota can go to to lunch for a month on me.

jeff

Attachments

• rear hatch.pdf
    176.2 KB · Views: 406
a better picture...
rear hatch.jpg

It hurt, but I finally sucked it up and bought all new weatherstripping from Cruiser Dan. That piece that goes across the bottom of the lift gate, number 68281 in your diagram is even more expensive than the top piece. When he told me what the price was, he correctly interpreted the stony silence and deftly commented: "It's an expensive hobby." Not a lot of sympathy from him.

I debated with myself about the weatherstripping and window seals for some time, and eventually opted to replace it all with OEM. I plan to keep my rig for a long time. I also bought the WagonGear add on weatherstripping for the doors. It provides a second layer of weatherstripping and virtually stops any wind noise. Most new cars have two layers of weatherstripping on the doors.

x2 on expensive hobby and Wagongear goods.

money well spent if you intend to use the rig much in the next 10 years or so.

I got the OEM upper weatherstripping piece for the hatch, 68282 in the breakdown above. Is there anyther other sealant to put on this between the rubber and the metal of the hatch, besides the retainer clips 68281A ? seems water can just run right under the rubber and metal.

any advice from somebody that has done this install and knows what it needs, would be greatly appreciated.

and I add one more time, this thing is VERY heavy and awkward for a one-man removal. it did go better the second time though.

thanks
jeff

thread revival. Looking for new top weather strip across top of rear hatch door (part #68282 in diagram above). Appears is NLA from Mr. T. Has anyone found a good aftermarket alternative?

You might try Jason @reevesci
Great vendor.
HTH

Ditto I have Jason's @reevesci weatherstripping on my whole truck. It's the tits.

I mean awesome...

Thanks. You have the weatherstripping around the doors - but did you also get the upper rear lift gate seal from him?

I think that piece you are referring to is a pretty specific piece. It has the holes in it for the T shaped mounting tabs. I'm betting OEM is going to be the only option.

The piece I am referring to can be seen through the gap in the top of the upper lift gate and the body:

Here it is from the underside, it runs along top of lift gate hatch through the hinges:

Wagongear site says they make these, sent an email but have not heard back yet. Looking for other options...

I think you're gonna have to go OEM on that one. Check with Beno or cruiserdan

I think you're gonna have to go OEM on that one. Check with Beno or cruiserdan

I did but the part is NLA. I have found a good condition used one though.

Check with Beno and buy new retainer clips and it will hold better. Careful taking them out!! Rubber will rip and then it's toast

I've noticed quite a bit of dust being sucked in from the rear hatch area. Also the rear AC sucks air from the rear right and it can't be happy sucking in all this dust.

Has anyone changed out the seal on their rear hatch? Is it a pretty straight forward job?
>Looks like part #6788160111 for my 02 LC
>Probably want to add some clips to go with it.

How about that rear AC intake?
>> I've never taken those panels off , is there a filter in there? Any way to go about cleaning the intake out, just remove all panels and get to it?

1685467221127.png

1685467206101.png

I've noticed quite a bit of dust being sucked in from the rear hatch area. Also the rear AC sucks air from the rear right and it can't be happy sucking in all this dust.

Has anyone changed out the seal on their rear hatch? Is it a pretty straight forward job?
>Looks like part #6788160111 for my 02 LC
>Probably want to add some clips to go with it.

How about that rear AC intake?
>> I've never taken those panels off , is there a filter in there? Any way to go about cleaning the intake out, just remove all panels and get to it?

View attachment 3335957
View attachment 3335955
Maybe you should ask on right forum. 02 LC is not a 60 series.

Maybe you should ask on right forum. 02 LC is not a 60 series.
Ouch. But well played.

I replaced all of the seals on my 62 in the summer of 2021. City Racer and a couple of other vendors here had everything.

You are very wise
I bought as much OEM rubber as was available (windows and a few other pieces). As noted above, I am sure that some vendors here sell rubber for your 100 series. Just did a quick search at the auction site. There are lots of Australian sellers who are offering 100 series rubber. Sorry that I can't be more help. I'm not familiar with the 100 series.

You may want to check one of the big Toyota Parts stores (online) to see what is still available here in the U.S. McGeorge out of VA is my go-to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom