Rear Facing Passenger Seat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the passenger front seat, I intend to figure out if I can adapt some swivel or cobble up an easy "turn it around" fix on my '60 to enhance camping build. Anyone have experience with this? If not, I'll keep pics and a journal on the project and post latter.

that's not going to get you what you want. A substantial part of the sitting real estate is the space underneath the dash to fit your legs. If the seat was flipped 180°, you'd lose all that and the rear floor is even higher. Nobody could sit comfortably in that seat spun around except for a little kid.

A better modification for the front passenger seat is to modify the hinge so that the backrest can lay all the way down flat. Add a little padding to even it out & a camp pad on top & you've got an instant bed to take a nap or sleep on at night. Comes in real handy when driving really far & you just want to pull over & sleep without any hassle. Literally you can just turn off the engine & roll over into the passenger bed & conk out.

that's not going to get you what you want. A substantial part of the sitting real estate is the space underneath the dash to fit your legs. If the seat was flipped 180°, you'd lose all that and the rear floor is even higher. Nobody could sit comfortably in that seat spun around except for a little kid.

A better modification for the front passenger seat is to modify the hinge so that the backrest can lay all the way down flat. Add a little padding to even it out & a camp pad on top & you've got an instant bed to take a nap or sleep on at night. Comes in real handy when driving really far & you just want to pull over & sleep without any hassle. Literally you can just turn off the engine & roll over into the passenger bed & conk out.
Well nuts. But many thanks for heads up. Good idea re bed though.

Running seats backwards in any other time than parked is not safe. The seat was never intended to be backwards, so it doesn't have the strength to prevent breaking in a collision. Also the seat belt would not restrain a person either.
Bigger vehicles use seat swivels to move a seat rear facing for camping. But our cruisers are not big enough for that.

@joebattle1
You are giving me ideas as to how I can sleep in my car as a 6'5" tall person.... That PT cruiser seat is now looking rather tempting. I will have to take a look at one next time I am in a junkyard.

I've been looking for a fold down front seat for my 70 series as well. Here a few more possible donors...

Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe
Toyota Tacoma (2nd gen opt.)
Dodge Caliber
Nissan NV200

Nice list!

I’ll add the new jeep renegades. They have a storage area under the sear cushion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom