Rear Bench Seat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Not sure what you got there, doesn't look like the stock rear bench, but definately Toyota. Could be a modified jump seat.
6624_1.jpg

Are the stock rear bench seats a roll and tumble setup? The width would be about right, with a couple inches on each side between the fender wells. I agree, it's definitely Toyota. The seat covers look about right. When comparing this it to Marv's rear bench seat, the lower cushion is a close match. The top part is a little different though. I noticed the back pad doesn't have the pad secured at the bottom. The other detail that is different is the way the front legs appear to be welded to the front of the frame. I'll post up some close-up picts, once this thing arrives.

Not fold and tumble, but the back was fixed to the body and the bottom folded up. The jump seat had rubber bumpers on the bottom and it rested on the wheelwell.

Even though it does sure look like a Toyota seat of some sort, I don't believe any FJ25 or FJ40 ever had a stock foward facing seat. They're all the perpendicular side seats that face each other (like Cruiser_Nerd said, foldable down to the left and right wheel wells.)

But, I've seen many a side jump seat converted to the above style.
FJ25Burg8a.jpg
FJ25Burg6a.jpg

But, I've seen many a side jump seat converted to the above style.

Yep, that looks more like a rear jump seat converted. Although the bottom looks cushy, the straight back would be a killer.

Here's pics of the rear bench in Marv's 25. I think they only came in the A style soft tops (drop gate or fixed gate). Note the folding angled backrest and how it's more similar to the passenger's bench seat.
FJ25 rear bench seat.JPG
TAN 25 REAR BENCH LOCK.JPG

Anyone know if Marv has the A bows? I'm wondering if he needs a repro :D

Looking at the picture of the back I don't see any of the mounts for the B style bows so I vote A Style. The back corners are the give away. No holes in the top of the fender for the bracket that the back bow would set in. Plus along the top of the tub the part for the clip to hold the bow isn't there either.

Are we sure if Marv's is an original or a front seat converted to the back. Do we know if the back really did fold down. How about the back seat out of Profitt's FJ25, did it fold down.

I still think for an FJ25 any front bench seat from a 63 or earlier would work fine. Just grind off the two front legs and side post. Cut the front legs to match the legs in Marv's weld them on, upholster and your done. The seat from a 64 thru 67 would work too but I think the outside rear leg switched it mounting location. The 68/69 and maybe 70 have a lock that has to pull to the side and probably wouldn't work between the fender wells. The 71/72 seat is a split back with an emission tank in the center part and would lock funny. I'm thinking of doing the 63 and earlier to my white one since it has a full roll cage in it and the jump seats wouldn't mount in the factory location. I have an early Bronco seat that came with it but it wouldn't look original

John

Marv's rear seat may be a front bench seat converted but Toyota did make both a rear bench and the jump seats for the FJ25s. But in the US we only got jump seats in the FJ40s while other parts of the world continued to get rear bench seats. Alot of the later imports on eBay still have the 40/60 split front seats and a rear bench seat. Unfortunately for us Toyota USA has decided what is best for us since the early 60s. One engine option, one transmission option etc etc etc. I guess we should consider ourselfs lucky we got both hard and soft top models of the 40 series, it's just to bad they dropped the FJ45 in 1967. I sure that was to improve sales of the Hilux pickup they just started importing even though it would be over another ten years before it would have a 4WD option. I guess this is the downside of being too civilized with all these paved roads.

John

:confused: So does anyone have an original? Rumor has it Proffit did. ;)

Are we sure if Marv's is an original or a front seat converted to the back. Do we know if the back really did fold down. How about the back seat out of Proffit's FJ25, did it fold down.

That's what I'm wondering too. The one he made for Archie did it fold?

John

I've been looking through the literature Morgan Fletcher has posted & I can't find anything official. Has anyone else seen picts of or even read something somewhere about a rear bench seat as an option/original equipment?

Also, for those of you familiar with the early rear jump seats of the long variation...

I've seen a couple variations that include an asymmetrical bottom, hand rails, etc. My question is about the seat back. If you examine the pictures of Marv's "bench seat" and the one I purchased, the back is curved on the corners. This is different than the jump seat examples posted in this thread. I can't remember if the long style jump seats I've seen all had hand rails, curved corners in the seat back, or if the number of corrugated sections varied. Does anyone familiar with the earlier cruisers jump seats know what year jump seat would be a closer match to the bench Marv has? Also notice the seat back is the same width as the seat bottom for both Marv's & the one I purchased. That's not the case with the jump seat pictured above.

I'm not near any pictures. Hopefully this won't confuse things more.

If you examine the pictures of Marv's "bench seat" and the one I purchased, the back is curved on the corners. This is different than the jump seat examples posted in this thread.

Marv's seat is very, very similar to a passenger's side front bench seat............say pre '64 or so.

This is different than the jump seat examples posted in this thread. I can't remember if the long style jump seats I've seen all had hand rails, curved corners in the seat back, or if the number of corrugated sections varied.------------ Also notice the seat back is the same width as the seat bottom for both Marv's & the one I purchased. That's not the case with the jump seat pictured above.

The rear seats in Steve's truck are 25 and '61 40 seats and aren't typical of the long rear jump seat because of the tall arms that come off the top and change the backrest shape. Your rear bench would be most similar to a mid sixties 40 rear jump seat.

Here it is from the '61 TSB, looks like Marv's:
FJTSB072.jpg

Here's a link to the best picture I could find on Morgan Fletcher's site of a rear seat. I X2 that marv's looks original. the legs are the same a the picture. I think the clip that holds the back up is on the passenger's side on the front bench while Marv's is on the driver's side. Does his have lock on both sides or just the driver's side. If just the Driver's side why would you switch the clip if converting a front bench to a rear bench. This might very well be an original. The seat you got off ebay still looks like a modified jump seat. The bottom looks a little bigger than the back to me in some of the auction picture just like Steve's jump seats.

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/images/print/Toyota03_300.jpg

John

Thanks for clarifying this up for me & digging out those photos. Very nice. It's amazing how much cruiser content is floating around cyberspace. You guys are the best.

Well, I'll be darned. All these years I thought the center-facing jump seats were the only ones ever available. :eek:

There must not have been a lot of them ordered that way . . . . maybe because all the original owners wanted the advertised "7 passenger" capacity.

OK Guys,

Since I have seen marv's FJ25 Personally N number of times. I know his rear seat is original. also TLC's got the original rear seat. and yes FOX marv has "A" type bows. Dohhhhh... Profitts got the original rear seat too and he made one repro for me just B4 I left USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom