Rear Aux Fuel Tank (tech help/parts/pictures) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a TLCA-1 Aux fuel tank that was made by sunset metal fab and was/is sold by Vehicle Safety Supply. I have not had much luck from either company answering any questions.

Is there anyone out there that has installation instructions, a parts list, and pictures of the tank installed.

Thank you

I've never heard of that tank (and I'm kinda the aux. tank guru around this farm), pics please, perhaps one of my Downey tank instruction manuals could get you into the ball park, instructions here on Mud under Downey Off Road link, downloadable.

Post up a few pictures of what you have and someone will probably have an idea. Seen aftermarket aux tanks installed two basic ways. One using the torque tube behind the rear axle and rear frame to support a skid plate the tank rest in. The other using long pieces of all-thread hanging from the rear floor.

I have one of those, a shop I Oregon fabs them up. I talked with him on the chine when I ordered mine 2018 or so.
1094C5DD-9B96-483F-83B9-CD9A6BC6A62D.jpeg

26C75C1E-800D-43D8-8209-04F8F781DC0F.jpeg

the top picture shows fit up before the tank and frame went to power coating. The bottom shows the foam tape strips used to make sure it stayed tight to the bottom of the truck.

there were no instructions per say, just the tape markings that show inlet outlet etc.

Now I remember these tanks, they were North West Metal Products tanks. We always made our own FJ40 rear tanks, but we bought Toyota Pickup tanks from them at one time. Now I'm too friggin old to remember why we had to stop buying from them, might have been "smog" related, we were in Calif and I think they were not able to ship to Calif ???,

In the second picture in the post before yours the black under the red tank is the skid plate that is used to cradle the tank. The flange in the picture has two holes. Uses a short piece of all-thread and nuts between those holes and C shaped bracket over the torque tube above. The back has a flange that bolts to the bottom of the rear frame member. The tank itself does not have a way to mount. I have a locally (Arizona) made tank around. Not sure I've the C shaped brackets here but skid plate and tank are here if you need a better idea how these mount.

There’s a skid plate that goes with it. Mounts to the rear shock cross member and the rear frame rail. When you snug up the bolts it sandwiches the tank to the bottom of the rear bed.

I've never heard of that tank (and I'm kinda the aux. tank guru around this farm), pics please, perhaps one of my Downey tank instruction manuals could get you into the ball park, instructions here on Mud under Downey Off Road link, downloadable.
In the second picture in the post before yours the black under the red tank is the skid plate that is used to cradle the tank. The flange in the picture has two holes. Uses a short piece of all-thread and nuts between those holes and C shaped bracket over the torque tube above. The back has a flange that bolts to the bottom of the rear frame member. The tank itself does not have a way to mount. I have a locally (Arizona) made tank around. Not sure I've the C shaped brackets here but skid plate and tank are here if you need a better idea how these mount.
Thanks. Where in AZ?

Thanks. Where in AZ?

Have a 68 that was sold new in Phoenix. Bought it in 1974. While I bought it in Flagstaff it was still registered in Phoenix and think the small dealer where I got it from picked it up at an auction. 70 bought from the original owner ten years ago. He lived in Safford and bought it in March 1970 from Westside Toyota in Phoenix. The address on the original title is where he was living when I bought it. I still live in Arizona and split my time between the Valley and North half of the state.

Have a 68 that was sold new in Phoenix. Bought it in 1974. While I bought it in Flagstaff it was still registered in Phoenix and think the small dealer where I got it from picked it up at an auction. 70 bought from the original owner ten years ago. He lived in Safford and bought it in March 1970 from Westside Toyota in Phoenix. The address on the original title is where he was living when I bought it. I still live in Arizona and split my time between the Valley and North half of the state.
That’s pretty amazing. I’ll reach out when I head up to the Valley next.

Looks identical to the conferr tanks and all the others that were sold for the FJ40's

Here's a link to the installation instructions, aside from the location of the ports, everything else should be identical

Conferr tank instructions

I have one of those, a shop I Oregon fabs them up. I talked with him on the chine when I ordered mine 2018 or so.
View attachment 2772324
View attachment 2772327

the top picture shows fit up before the tank and frame went to power coating. The bottom shows the foam tape strips used to make sure it stayed tight to the bottom of the truck.

there were no instructions per say, just the tape markings that show inlet outlet etc.
Mark,

Did you give them dimensions so they could build this tank for you or did they already have drawings? Mine looks very similar to these but it is old and rusted and I need a new one. I guess mine could have been an old SOR tank or Con-Ferr tank which don't offer tanks anymore.

They are listed on line. There web site;

my contact there was Charles Atkinson, their number is 503-429-0895. He was a older guy (like most of us).

They actually list your tank, TLCA-1. Give them a call. They might sell you ‘just’ the skid plate mounting. If you strike out, I’ll measure mine and see if I can get you the critical dimensions. You can probably get a sheet metal shop to cut/bend one up for you. The ‘skid’ plate is a not a welded component. Just neatly bent sheet, maybe 12, 14 gage.

If I remember correctly, my tank and skid plate mounting was abut $550 or so in 2017 or 2018

They are listed on line. There web site;

my contact there was Charles Atkinson, their number is 503-429-0895. He was a older guy (like most of us).

They actually list your tank, TLCA-1. Give them a call. They might sell you ‘just’ the skid plate mounting. If you strike out, I’ll measure mine and see if I can get you the critical dimensions. You can probably get a sheet metal shop to cut/bend one up for you. The ‘skid’ plate is a not a welded component. Just neatly bent sheet, maybe 12, 14 gage.

If I remember correctly, my tank and skid plate mounting was abut $550 or so in 2017 or 2018
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom