Real Time Valve Seal Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some real time help if anyone is around. The machine shop doing the head took the old valve seals off and forgot they were different in terms of intake and exhaust and forgot to note which one was which. They came in the "head gasket kit" so they weren't in individual bags with part numbers. Apparently one has a bell shape and the other does not. Does anyone know which side gets which shape?

McGeorge said intake 90913-02096 is straight sided and the exhaust 90913-02105 is the bell shaped. Can anyone confirm that?

I don't really look at the seals at all since it's something I was paying the shop to do. Just need the right ones on the proper sides.

Looking for some real time help if anyone is around. The machine shop doing the head took the old valve seals off and forgot they were different in terms of intake and exhaust and forgot to note which one was which. They came in the "head gasket kit" so they weren't in individual bags with part numbers. Apparently one has a bell shape and the other does not. Does anyone know which side gets which shape?

McGeorge said intake 90913-02096 is straight sided and the exhaust 90913-02105 is the bell shaped. Can anyone confirm that?

I don't really look at the seals at all since it's something I was paying the shop to do. Just need the right ones on the proper sides.

I recall @flintknapper 's recent thread on head gasket replacement had this info.

^^^^
Correct they ARE different.

The 'reason' for this difference is unclear to me...but my 'guess' is that the Exhaust Seal (belled) is simply subjected to more heat, so extra material was used to help absorb and dissipate that heat. ALL of my seals were rock hard and doing little to control the flow of oil down the valve guides, so they all degrade over time.

Internally, they are all the same...so the 'function' of each would not make a difference. Longevity however....is certainly another matter (IF my theory for them being different is correct).

We don't know in your case IF they were put on the correct side of the head or not.....or even dispersed randomly, though surely someone would have noticed the difference.

VS Seals1.jpg
VS Seals2.jpg

Head was stock assembled at the factory. Machinist was replacing the seals and just had a lapse and took them all out without noting which came from where and assumed the part number on the bag I sent them in would direct him. I tossed them in another parts bag since they were loose in the kit.

I appreciate the quick response and now he can get them installed correctly. He was assuming the bells were the exhaust, but wanted me to verify prior to install. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom