Real Time Help Needed - Timing Belt Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the middle of baselining my engine and changing out the timing belt on my daily driver (2UZFE hundy with 300,000 miles). I am also strictly following my Toyota FSM and cleaning up some other items along the way (new crankshaft seal and various hoses).

While putting on the timing belt, I aligned all markings on the belt with the timing notches on the crankshaft and each camshaft pulley, according to the FSM. Then followed the FSM to install a new timing belt tensioner.

Then the FSM then says to turn the crankshaft pulley 2 revolutions from TDC to TDC (step 16 (b)). When I did that, the timing marks on both the crankshaft pulley and the camshaft pulleys matched perfectly to TDC (relative to their markings on the engine and crankshaft cover).

However, the markings on the timing belt were no longer in the same position - no longer at matching the TDC locations. They appear to be moved forward about 10 - 15 grooves in the belt. I am not sure how that happened - maybe that was due to the removal of any remaining slack being taken out of the timing belt while turning the crankshaft?

[My Question] If the timing notches on both camshafts and the timing notch on the crankshaft match TDC, is there anything to be concerned about if the markings on the belt don't match TDC perfectly?

Any help offered would be appreciated - thanks in advance

image.jpg

[My Question] If the timing notches on both camshafts and the timing notch on the crankshaft match TDC, is there anything to be concerned about if the markings on the belt don't match TDC perfectly?

Take the belt off, realign everything and try again. The marks MUST line up after TDC to TDC rotation, otherwise you are looking at a ruined engine if you start it.

If you followed the FSM verbatim,
what you are looking for after two complete turns is the cam gear hash marks to line up with the hash marks on the engine and the zero 0 on the crank pulley- (if the zero is where you started)

It will take many revolutions to get all the belt marks to line up in all 3 reference points again.

abuck99 is correct. You are not looking at the marks on the actual belt at this point (after rotating 2 turns), just the marks on the cam and crank pulleys.

abuck99 is correct. You are not looking at the marks on the actual belt at this point (after rotating 2 turns), just the marks on the cam and crank pulleys.

Yes, that is what I was referring to, the mechanical assembly marks MUST match up after TDC to TDC rotation.

Thanks guys - much appreciated. Sounds like I am good to go.

The mechanical assembly marks (marks on the cam and crank pulleys) are correct at TDC. Thanks for the affirmation - I was starting to question my sanity after a good night's sleep.

Thanks again for the sanity check!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom