Real time help (cruiser won't turn over) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
Well since I'm waiting for a tow and it might be up to an hour I thought I'd just try MUD for trouble shooting.

Got in the ol' 60 this morning and she didn't really want to crank over. Come to think of it she's been having issues cranking over the last couple mornings. Sounded like a dying battery but my battery is maybe 2 months old. Brand new from Les Schwab here in PDX. Drive to work no issues. Stopped at grocery store on way home and tried to fire her up again and got zip zero zilch. Gauges work and the beeper is beeping that beeps when you turn the key but other than that I got nothing. Gentleman next to me tried to jump me....nothing. Not even a click.

My first thought this morning was my starter is going as my battery is brand spanking new. Never had a starter go out before, can anyone fill me in on the symptoms? And perhaps some other trouble shooting ideas when I get this bad boy back into my driveway? Grounds perhaps?

Thanks in advance everyone!

WHile you are waiting, you could try hitting the starter with anything you can find. A wrench, a hammer, etc. Sometimes you can break up the built up carbon inside it and it will suddenly start working. well enough to get you home anyway. Alternately, if you happen to be parked on a hill, which I doubt you are if you are in a parking lot, you can try to pop start it in 2nd. I drove a car with a dead starter for 6 months, parking on hills and pop starting every time. There is something fun about it. :)

If neither work or are possible to try, have the tow guy tell you if your battery has any charge at all. His mobile jumper box thing sometimes tells them. If you have a charge, I think you are on the right track with the starter.

Well time to start beating the crap outa my starter! At least it's not pissing rain right now which it's been doing here in Portland for the last 3 months.

NO WAIT:mad: DON"T BEAT ON THAT STARTER....oh nevermind....check yer frickin grounds....and terminal torques...:meh: you're prolly awready ridin chick in the tow rig...

Well holy SH$*!! I beat on my starter for a bit with the ol' tire iron and she fired right up!! Not much more gratifying than beating on something that doesn't work and then actually having it work.

Once again I love this site! Beers on me next time you are in PDX NYFJ62! Man I love learning new tricks!!

Sounds like new battery cables to me.

you need a test gauge to see how many volts the battery has..

Generally, when the starter is acting up it'll still make a "thunk" sound as the solenoid actuates.

haha .... glad to hear it. And glad you didn't beat anything to death. Good job! It won't last long, but its a great trick that I've put to use on multiple occasions. Definitely impresses the ladies :)

if hammering the starter worked, you either have a loose connection, or the starter is dying..

What's the best way to isolate a bad starter?

I 2nd the loose connection troubleshooting advice first. Give all your connections a good inspection. Always best to start with the simplest answers and work your way up. That said, it sounds to me like your starter is likely at the end of its life. That tapping trick won't work very many more times. Don't count on it. Get the issue fixed proper.

Well holy SH$*!! I beat on my starter for a bit with the ol' tire iron and she fired right up!! Not much more gratifying than beating on something that doesn't work and then actually having it work.

Once again I love this site! Beers on me next time you are in PDX NYFJ62! Man I love learning new tricks!!

:lol: well shut my mouth. you got lucky...

... Not much more gratifying than beating on something that doesn't work and then actually having it work.

I so wish I could use that trick at work...

I've got a lightly used set of wires I got from a guy on MUD (I had them on my last 60) that was making them (maybe out of Idaho??) I'll put them on in the next couple days as well as one of my spare starters.

Thanks again everyone!

just tell us you got home without the tow truck...

Well it took me 2 days to find my spare starter I knew was in the garage then I went out of town for 4 days then... it took me about a week to find the time to swap it in..
2 good things came out of it, I got to drive my 40 for 2 weeks straight AND she's starting like a champ with the spare starter in place! Total swap time was about 30 minutes, super easy job.
Neither the one I swapped in or the one I took off are OEM so I may pick up an OEM reman here next month to have on hand when this one dies..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom